Valentino Lazaro (now playing for Benfica, on loan from Inter Milan)

Disco

I like Lazarro, looked good in that Burnley away match.

He looked amazing on his debut, then was directly culpable for not picking up the goalscorer at the back post iirc. I think he was at fault for a couple of goals which took the shine off his good work going forward.

He looked amazing on his debut, then was directly culpable for not picking up the goalscorer at the back post iirc. I think he was at fault for a couple of goals which took the shine off his good work going forward.

He’s never looked amazing. Especially on his debut. What hyperbole :lol:

Can't tell you anything about the games but I remember after 3/4 appearances thinking he was bang average.

Guest Carrick18

He's not a wing-back. He was a winger at RB Salzburg but he doesn't have a great deal of tricks or skill to his play so he was shunted backwards. Conte did a similar thing with Victor Moses.

I'm not sure what he is, and i think neither does he, which is part of the issue with him. You couldn't trust him at FB, not defensive enough, yet not enough threat as a full on winger. You could play him as a defensive winger, but that requires a FB behind you to double up, which we haven't the need especially in a 3 CB formation. So he's left with that in-between role of wingback. On paper that's what he is, and what he should be good at, but it didn't look like it. Possibly just needs a few games to sort it out. I'd like to see him play WB under Rafa. Think we'd be talking about a different player.

I thought he looked good when he played winger in one of the later games he played before the pause in the season. sorry for some reason i confused Southampton away with Burnley away and further i thought he started that game and didn't come on late.

You lot are a bunch of bullies. 

Anyway, I thought he's looked decent.

He made a bad mistake in the last game he played at wing back and then was used as a winger from then on for a few games wasn't it?

That’s how I remember it - looked no better than Manquillo or Yedlin or Krafth as right wing back, but was quite sharp when pushed further forward.

He made a bad mistake in the last game he played at wing back and then was used as a winger from then on for a few games wasn't it?

That’s how I remember it - looked no better than Manquillo or Yedlin or Krafth as right wing back, but was quite sharp when pushed further forward.

He is a winger that has played at fullback so thats not a surprise. He definitely showed some flashes of great technique and a soccer IQ in his appearances but was by no means mind blowing. Glad we are keeping him on though.

The fact his agent said his preference was to return to Inter put me off a bit tbh.

Inter Milan or Mike Ashley's Newcastle featuring Stevie Bacon. Can't really blame him for that :lol:

Ok, let me word that more accurately. He looked very good in one of his early games for us going forward, he was bombing on nicely and those in the match thread were suitably impressed. Not sure which match exactly so will avoid making any criminal references to the wrong one, but his delightful performance ( going forward) was subsequently marred by two basic errors at the back which cast some doubt on his ability to play as a defender.

It was the Arsenal away game, looked good first half and then fell apart in the 2nd half, like the rest of the team.

Looked decent against WBA I thought

The whole team did against their reserves. Once they started bringing on their first team we were hanging on for our lives :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Thought from the first sight of him there's a technically very good player there, although looks more of a wide midfielder than full back. The goal and the strike which hit the bar show what he can do. Got a decent motor on him too.