Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Watching those video clips, listening to SBR. Oh, I cry when I realise those days are so long gone.

What a joy it was, those times of hope, expectation, amazing achievements and glorious football. Managed by a true gentleman. A real Geordie. Real.

Those days, and those with KK lifted me.

It was, literally, the time of my life. NUFC made my life complete.

And now.......Bruce? Ashley? I despair.

One day...one day.....I hope to feel those days again. Please, God, please???

In fact, all of it's just great. The way he talks about football, it's just so honest and passionate and positive. And that glimmer of determination right at the very end too. The way he builds up the game, builds up his team, puts the opponent on a pedastal but not too highly;  so visibly excited and proud.

We didn't do badly that game either. Got let down by one lad switching off.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That clip of him showing Lineker around the place is literally one of my favourite bits of 'NUFC' ever put on film. Sounds a bit over the top but I don't think it is. A magnificent new stadium, a wonderful manager, at a brilliant time for the club, justifiably beaming with pride at how great a club it was. Obviously we weren't 12 points clear at the top of the league but for those, like me, who didn't live through the Keegan years with any real sentience, it's as great a peak as we're likely to experience - and that clip just summed it up. If the architraves were spectacular then you knew the team was brilliant. And it was.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

"I just knew that you had to win. If you didn't win, well you're contract could be terminated very quickly - you live by the sword." :love:

Managed Ronaldo, World Player of the Year! After knowing he's being sacked for van Gaal just oozes respect and dignity.

Barca give him a Technical role; he talks on signings of Dugarry, Sonny Anderson and Rivaldo. (Who signs three world class forwards in one transfer window?)

Roll up sleeves can get fucked. 

Edited by Abra Dubravka

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A gentleman in the game and life.

Was a pleasure to meet the man as a ballboy at St James'. At half time we were given a platter of sandwiches to scran and I shit you not, he walked past sloped a sandwich off on his way back down the tunnel.

Like your cheeky granda.

On 18/02/2021 at 11:36, Yorkie said:

That clip of him showing Lineker around the place is literally one of my favourite bits of 'NUFC' ever put on film. Sounds a bit over the top but I don't think it is. A magnificent new stadium, a wonderful manager, at a brilliant time for the club, justifiably beaming with pride at how great a club it was. Obviously we weren't 12 points clear at the top of the league but for those, like me, who didn't live through the Keegan years with any real sentience, it's as great a peak as we're likely to experience - and that clip just summed it up. If the architraves were spectacular then you knew the team was brilliant. And it was.

Got my first season ticket at the start of the Robson era. Brilliant times, fearless team!