Miguel Almirón

Deuce

3 games playing out of position in the most turgid system imaginable and now people have decided ASM is overrated :lol:

Unbelievable how short people's memories are. On his day, ASM is one of the best in the PL. Pundits, other team's fans, the media etc. were frothing over his performances last season - he was lighting the league up. It's no coincidence that since our neolithic manager tinkered with his positioning and probably sapped a lot of his motivation, we've looked a lot less dangerous as a team and ASM has looked a fraction of the player he was last season. Some of that is no doubt down to other teams figuring out how to play him but most of it is down to our shit deployment of him

In the right scenario ASM is a game winner - Bruce isn't that scenario, ever!

3 games playing out of position in the most turgid system imaginable and now people have decided ASM is overrated :lol:

Absolutely mad.

I really like Almiron but I don't think we've ever seen him have a game like ASM had a the end of last season or early this season. Maybe his debut I guess

ASM is expected to be our sole creative light, especially when miggy isnt in the team (and vice versa).

its a thankless fucking task, no matter what position he's played in.

he needs pace and intelligent movement around him just like any other decent player.

ASM and Miggy are the absolute least of our worries.

Or it could be cause he shows up once in a blue moon?

With proper coaching, I would definitely fancy Almiron out of the two. ASM is great on his day, but most of the time he tries to be flashy and it doesn't quite work.

There’ll be a couple of exceptions (ie Brighton this season, when he was injured) but he’s been at least 7/10 in every game in 2020 up until the last 3 imo. Often more, which is incredible in a Steve Bruce team. I don’t see the ‘once in a blue moon’ point at all tbh.

ASM's got that explosive quality that sets him apart. I don't think 'tries to be flashy and doesn't quite work' is a fair criticism when his role in the side is so isolated. Not isolated in the sense that he has no one around him: but isolated in the same way everyone in the team is isolated. They're just a bunch of directionless cogs in a machine that's falling to bits - no collective purpose, just random. When you've got the ball, lads, just try and do something. In that sense he's not 'trying to be flashy'; he's not being expressive at the wrong times, he just hasn't got a clue what he's supposed to be doing within the context of the rest of the team. You can apply that logic to just about every player atm.

He'd have been an outrageous option to choose from alongside Rondon-Perez-Almiron. Imagine being a defender and having to put up with those three constantly drifting into the channels and creating space in behind; then on comes ASM to run at you and threaten from wide for the last 20 minutes. :lol:  Not saying he wouldn't be an 'automatic starter', we'd just have options and the ability to effectively rotate.

People talk about him sometimes as if he's the second coming of Ben Arfa, other than running around and working hard he hardly produces anything positive in the final third, this is purely his fault and not down to tactics or formation, he's needs to develop a lot of aspects to his game and i doubt this will happen here.

Think the guy is just really discouraged at this point. He would also benefit from a bit more direction on the pitch.

Under Rafa, when Miggy first joined he made a lot more runs in behind and was killing teams with his pace that way.

Under Bruce he drifts around way too much, usually in deeper areas of the pitch, which doesn't do him any favours.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't care about players diving or being shithouse tbh. It's one of the reasons why I love Wilson. Every single other team in the league does it so I don't see why we shouldn't either.

Agree. Players need to dive otherwise the old fashioned refs would just consider it six of one half a dozen of the other like dopy Andy Townsend in the commentary box.

Don't care about players diving or being shithouse tbh. It's one of the reasons why I love Wilson. Every single other team in the league does it so I don't see why we shouldn't either.

Agree. Players need to dive otherwise the old fashioned refs would just consider it six of one half a dozen of the other like dopy Andy Townsend in the commentary box.

haway man. there's diving and there's DIVING.

wilson went down easily to get a pen - i'm all for that.

miggy clutching his face after being tackled fairly or when he flings himself to the floor like he did against wba - no way.