Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Absolutely briliant that!

Loved this bit;

We played Leeds away and Terry McDermott [Keegan’s assistant] was talking to Frank Worthington, they were having a good conversation. There were two main nightclubs in Newcastle at the time, Julie’s and Legends. As we walk up to them, Terry Mac looks at Tino and points at Frankie. He says: ‘Legend!’ Tino just says: ‘Me no Legends tonight, me Julie’s.’”

Great article, Tino :love:

IDK, just something in football you miss or don't see much anymore, but it's those away nights in the CL when our team was bloody crap tbh and we had a powerhouse Barcelona showing up and Asprilla goes out and destroys them in front of the home fans. Special stuff.

I wonder how KK's team would have fared in the CL that following season if he stayed on.

Great article, Tino :love:

IDK, just something in football you miss or don't see much anymore, but it's those away nights in the CL when our team was bloody crap tbh and we had a powerhouse Barcelona showing up and Asprilla goes out and destroys them in front of the home fans. Special stuff.

I wonder how KK's team would have fared in the CL that following season if he stayed on.

If only the CL had more places a few years earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

What could have been.

whenever i hear that phrase, i always think of blackburn away and, years later, Partizan home.

There can be no bigger what if than the Cantona 1 nil game. Even if we drew that night, in hindsight I think we’d have won it.

It was like a cup final atmosphere that night, never heard the place bouncing like that half an hour before kick off. Perhaps us fans were just as guilty of thinking we needed to win that night.

💕 What a day. Red hot. A perfect day. Couldn't script it better with him grabbing the winner. I watched while hanging on to the Gallowgate (scoreboard end) advertising hoardings at the back, hence my user name as it happens. Terraces were packed and the atmosphere electric. The club was resurrected, briefly anyway, that summer. God knows we need a similar lift nowadays.

Can't help but wonder what Keegan could have done with that 11/12 squad man. If that absolute wallop Pardew could get them to 5th, I think Keegan would have had them playing way above themselves.

Would genuinely have him managing us again today if Ashley was gone.

Can't help but wonder what Keegan could have done with that 11/12 squad man. If that absolute wallop Pardew could get them to 5th, I think Keegan would have had them playing way above themselves.

I wonder if he would've struggled with the team selection like Alan did. Sammi, Hatem or Squidward?

I wonder if he would've struggled with the team selection like Alan did. Sammi, Hatem or Squidward?

Or Cisse on the wing. A true innovator...

I didn't realise how far ahead the 2 Manchester clubs were at the end, reckon Keegan may have snuck 3rd though.

I didn't realise how far ahead the 2 Manchester clubs were at the end, reckon Keegan may have snuck 3rd though.

Yeah I could definitely see that. We were only 5 points off 3rd, or 6 if you factor in our inferior goal difference. For all the great work Keegan did for this club it's such a shame that he never got to lead us out for a Champions League night at St. James'.

I remember that from the TV show, was called The Superstars or something. Keegan was awesome in it.

You just cannot imagine footballers, or really any prominent sportsmen / women of today being involved in that sort of competition.  Unbelievable...