Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I'm still quite calm and relaxed about all this. Apart from the airing of dirty laundry in public by the consortium nothing has changed in terms of the takeover and bid (it's still officially on the table, all buying parties are still interested and Ashley is a willing seller) If that hadn't happened and they chose the less nuclear option we'd still all be doing the same and feeling the same, so if anything it just brings the attention to a broken process and cuts out all the speculation, it's with the PL and they haven't passed it.

What happens next is obviously crucial. You may think it just fades away and nothing good happens (and you are possibly right, i'll be honest its more likely than not) or its stirred a few fringe parties in to action and things are being discussed behind the scenes. Either way It's all over in a couple of weeks but i think we may see a positive reaction coming, if not i accept it was never going to happen and we've been led a merry dance by the PL.

I keep thinking of that feeling if goes through unexpected rather than expected. It'll not be relief and tempered celebrations, it'll be full on cocks out, alcohol poisoning bedlam. There's a chance. The fans are really doing their bit in the media as much as they can, they aren't prepared to let it go and sweep under the carpet and i think this is crucial for tipping the balance. PL may disgruntle a couple of members by approving, by not approving they've mobilised a supporter base who are ready to go to war with the fuckers till the end of days. Once they realise this, there's only one option left. 

You're clutching mate

I've got absolutely nothing else to be positive about in terms of football, I'm not quite ready to let the light die out on this one. I'm happy to have it all thrown back in my face but I just don't think we're done here.

I'm still quite calm and relaxed about all this. Apart from the airing of dirty laundry in public by the consortium nothing has changed in terms of the takeover and bid (it's still officially on the table, all buying parties are still interested and Ashley is a willing seller) If that hadn't happened and they chose the less nuclear option we'd still all be doing the same and feeling the same, so if anything it just brings the attention to a broken process and cuts out all the speculation, it's with the PL and they haven't passed it.

What happens next is obviously crucial. You may think it just fades away and nothing good happens (and you are possibly right, i'll be honest its more likely than not) or its stirred a few fringe parties in to action and things are being discussed behind the scenes. Either way It's all over in a couple of weeks but i think we may see a positive reaction coming, if not i accept it was never going to happen and we've been led a merry dance by the PL.

I keep thinking of that feeling if goes through unexpected rather than expected. It'll not be relief and tempered celebrations, it'll be full on cocks out, alcohol poisoning bedlam. There's a chance. The fans are really doing their bit in the media as much as they can, they aren't prepared to let it go and sweep under the carpet and i think this is crucial for tipping the balance. PL may disgruntle a couple of members by approving, by not approving they've mobilised a supporter base who are ready to go to war with the fuckers till the end of days. Once they realise this, there's only one option left. 

PIF cannot pass the test. They won’t pass the test. They’ve withdrawn. It’s done. If it were doable it would have been done already.

It’s over.

A mobilised NUFC support base tweeting the premier league

versus

BeIN is one of the Premier League’s biggest overseas broadcast partners, paying the competition a reported UK£500 million for its three-year deal to show games in the Middle East and North Africa region.

Only one winner there

Doesn't mean people should just give up though, I think that's half the problem with many fans of NUFC, they give up and roll over too easy. It's all well and good being a blow-hard, moaning about stuff and screeching about the futility of it all but that gets even less results than someone at least trying. No wonder there's so much apathy, it seems ingrained in some.

What’s bollocks is the league requesting the entire KSA or MBS himself be named as director and dismissing any and all compromises (PIF named as director, letter from the kingdom assuring no meddling). Those are such unreasonable requests in an approval process and shows clearly how angled and bent this thing was. Something clearly changed internally at the league and I hope it comes to light and those fuckers get what they deserve.

Even if they just flat out rejected it we’d have some sort of actual process. Sitting on it for 17 weeks and changing terms and trying force someone into a box is not how you operate a business. It’s not how you negotiate in good faith. the test itself is not fit for purpose, it was stalled indefinitely to protect the league board’s friends and partners and not the club and never its fans.

Mike Ashley as owner of the member club should be seething as he found a cash rich buyer side who had no financing contingencies willing to invest money into the club and boost economy of the region and the league fucked him. He should be preparing legal action ASAP.

Doesn't mean people should just give up though, I think that's half the problem with many fans of NUFC, they give up and roll over too easy. It's all well and good being a blow-hard, moaning about stuff and screeching about the futility of it all but that gets even less results than someone at least trying. No wonder there's so much apathy, it seems ingrained in some.

Well said. :)

Totally agree that we shouldn’t give up. But it should be focused on getting Ashley out, it looks so unlikely that the Saudi’s will ever get into top flight English football whilst BeIn are involved.

The sad things is we’re very shit at being a militant fanbase. A significant % of match going fans are so scared of having to go shopping with their lass on a Saturday afternoon that they won’t even get involved in protests.

But the NUFC fans versus BeIn battle looks futile. The premier league have a £500m investment from a commercial partner and they’re not going to fuck that up to appease a few thousand geordies who have ideas above their station.

If Staveley had backers from pretty much anywhere but Saudi the deal would have sailed through.

Agreed.

We’re very shit at being a militant fanbase. A significant % of match going fans are so scared of having to go shopping with their lass on a Saturday afternoon that they won’t even get involved in protests.

But the NUFC fans versus BeIn battle is futile. The premier league have a £500m investment from a commercial partner and they’re not going to fuck that up to appease a few thousand geordies who have ideas above their station.

What's left, 1 year? Its not worth £500m. The buyers would be investing more than that year 1, then on and on, unlocking a 35m viewer market. Those right treble with KSA being the one of the biggest markets in the deal.

Don't forget the draw we have as a club on viewing figures as well. When we drop out the league viewing figures tumble. We have more of a voice than you'd think.

:whatdidido:It’s alright the likes of Matt Slater now saying this was never gonna pass, however that isn’t what he was saying previously. He always maintained he thought a deal would be struck so hindsight is a great thing.

I honestly thought once they started introducing anti piracy measures they would find a way to get it through, and at the time we appeared to have momentum with it being agreed.

Then the bombshell where they banned bein, was it some great master plan to get their own tv rights, or an example of the Saudis badly misreading the situation.

It sadly appears it was the latter, though I still maintain they should have the right to allow who they want to broadcast in their own country. However, whilst you can argue this wasn’t part of o & d test it clearly hasn’t gone down to well, and certainly didn’t help facilitate any good will.

Now to the PL I have no reason to disbelieve the consortium that on 2 separate occasions it was indicated to them that the test would be passed. That’s where the problem lies at with me, who give this indication and what influenced their change in stance.

In my opinion they and Masters in particular lost his bottle completely and bowed to external pressure, most notably from bein and other clubs. This is where the anger and mistrust come into it for me, if this takeover had been carried out without the glare of publicity it attracted, I believe it would have been passed.

Yes the Saudis aren’t blameless but the PL have serious questions to answer, in particular the allegation that they refused to either accept or reject the deal. At best it comes across as unbelievably arrogant and that they are making the rules up as the go, and at worst they have manipulated the situation where they knew the deal was about to expire and played for time. Why would they not reject the deal, were they concerned that they didn’t have justifiable reasons that would stand up ?

Also if Masters thinks he has played a blinder here I think he is greatly mistaken. Bein will low ball the PL for next rights package, they have already indicated they will bid less next time. He has also probably now lost the regions richest nation for good, and there is no way now to get a foot in the potentially rich Saudi market.

Finally if other club owners are feeling pleased with themselves, they might get a shock when they want to sell their club, this has set a precedent where the PL can in effect scupper any sale without ever having to provide a reason. It will not be lost on potential buyers that you can lose a massive deposit, have no timescale for a decision and be subjected to public scrutiny as clearly they have breached confidentiality agreements in this process.

It doesn't matter how much baggage the Saudi's had, or how often they made the examination process more awkward. The simple fact is that, based on their own O&D test, their was nothing about the Saudis that could fail the test. If there was a proven link to piracy then it would have failed weeks ago. The PL didn't want the headache of being harrassed by Quatar, the London-based media and the establishment clubs after they'd have passed it, so they effectively wanted to fail it. But they knew that they couldn't do that so sat on it till the Saudis got pissed off with being messed about. We have been royally shafted, and shame on anyone who starts trying to justify the PL's actions.

It doesn't matter how much baggage the Saudi's had, or how often they made the examination process more awkward. The simple fact is that, based on their own O&D test, their was nothing about the Saudis that could fail the test. If there was a proven link to piracy then it would have failed weeks ago. The PL didn't want the headache of being harrassed by Quatar, the London-based media and the establishment clubs after they'd have passed it, so they effectively wanted to fail it. But they knew that they couldn't do that so sat on it till the Saudis got pissed off with being messed about. We have been royally shafted, and shame on anyone who starts trying to justify the PL's actions.

Exactly this. The PL are cunts who have bent their own rules to serve their own financial interests.

But no amount of twitter protesting from NUFC fans is going to change things.

The Saudi's could have changed things if they deescalated the situation with BeIn over the last few months, but they didn't and actually took steps to inflame it.

Exactly this. The PL are cunts who have bent their own rules to serve their own financial interests.

The Saudi's could have changed things if they deescalated the situation with BeIn over the last few months, but they didn't and actually took steps to inflame it.

This, this and more this.

Yes, we can see now that the Saudis were never going to let themselves be seen as Quatar's bitch in all of this, hence the decision to crank up the animosity even further. Their regional pride was far more important to them than this deal. And you know what?...I admire them for that. Call it foolish or balls of steel but they didnt let finance come before their principles. The corrupt PL did the opposite.

Surely the last point is moot after your first?

I wouldn't deny SA have came across idiotic in this, but how does that justify the bending of the PL's rules.

We keep getting hung up on KSA doing mental shit but how does this tie in with PL's OD test?

I also think this is getting overlooked, remember Keys and co seemed to have info that deal had stalled in previous week. Could it be that previous indications of approval changed when this cnut was appointed as Chairman on 1st June.

I also think this is getting overlooked, remember Keys and co seemed to have info that deal had stalled in previous week. Could it be that previous indications of approval changed when this cnut was appointed as Chairman on 1st June.

Apparently they go back a long way and were at school together........imagine if the PL were found to have been leaking information to BeIN.

I think his coming into post definitely coincided with a change of view on the separation of PIF and KSA state.