Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

The £850 a week Matty is supposedly paid is his contract before breaking into the first team. As I understand it Matty now wants a wage which reflects his promotion to the first team squad. With his contract coming to an end he can play hardball with NUFC, especially if there are other clubs interested. I read he wants £25K a week. I guess NUFC are trying to avoid another situation where they give a young player who has broken into the first team a fantastic deal against the risk that they could be a flash in the pan.

From the Athletic - Inter, Marseille and a Bundesliga team want him

Matty is still on the original professional deal he signed in July 2018, which runs out in June, and is being paid roughly £850 a week. Good money for some but Newcastle’s top earner, fellow midfielder, Jonjo Shelvey, receives almost 100 times that.

Also this has to be a mistake. There is no way we are paying Shelvey £850,000 a week.

850*100 ≠ 850,000

= 85,000

The £850 a week Matty is supposedly paid is his contract before breaking into the first team. As I understand it Matty now wants a wage which reflects his promotion to the first team squad. With his contract coming to an end he can play hardball with NUFC, especially if there are other clubs interested. I read he wants £25K a week. I guess NUFC are trying to avoid another situation where they give a young player who has broken into the first team a fantastic deal against the risk that they could be a flash in the pan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42130297

Better to give those deals to older players who are proven to be shite.

25k a week isn't big wages for a PL first team squad member

It's not. He's also not been in the first team much (even though some of us may think he should have been over others). You'd think they could give him a contract with a good wage but with clauses to increase his wages based on certain targets. Easier said than done if another team is willing to take the risk on giving him a higher wage and a longer contract straight off.

From the Athletic - Inter, Marseille and a Bundesliga team want him

Matty is still on the original professional deal he signed in July 2018, which runs out in June, and is being paid roughly £850 a week. Good money for some but Newcastle’s top earner, fellow midfielder, Jonjo Shelvey, receives almost 100 times that.

Also this has to be a mistake. There is no way we are paying Shelvey £850,000 a week.

850*100 ≠ 850,000

Fucking hell I'm an idiot. Trained maths teacher too. No wonder the country is going to shit.

I'm not saying the club is correct to not offer Matty a good deal, I'm saying they've been badly burned numerous times before giving big wages and long deals to players they then can't get rid of (Ranger, Aarons, Vučkić, etc).

25k isn't an unreasonable demand in today's climate, especially if other clubs are after him. He looks far more comfortable at first team level than Aarons or Vuckic ever did.

Ranger was a terrible waste of talent. The minute he got that contract, he wasn't bothered, but he had the raw ability to have a really good career, I think.

Guest neesy111

£25k a week is fair enough. What’s Colback on again?

60k.

Really?

Well close to it, signed on a free so means more wages.

Also apparently we were amazingly in a wage war with west ham over his signature.

60k.

Really?

Also apparently we were amazingly in a wage war with west ham over his signature.

Moyes was the manager then as well wasn't he?

Guest neesy111

60k.

Really?

No, he had just been sacked at Man Utd.

60k.

Really?

Who was manager then? Just trying to figure out which chump would rate Colback so highly. I'm assuming it was a PFM.

Guest neesy111

60k.

Really?

Who was manager then? Just trying to figure out which chump would rate Colback so highly. I'm assuming it was a PFM.

Allardyce of course.

• 4 months later...