Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matty-longstaff-sean-transform-newcastle-17042670.amp

They still help dad David carry the kit into the ice rink for Whitley Warriors, something you couldn't see Mata or Marcus Rashford doing any time soon.

Mata is one of the nicest, most genuine professionals around. So fucking weird.

I like them but I can’t like the club.

The sad thing is I reckon 90% of Newcastle fans would rather see local lads come through the system and play for Newcastle than spend £500,000 a week on someone like Pogba.

The sad thing is I reckon 90% of Newcastle fans would rather see local lads come through the system and play for Newcastle than spend £500,000 a week on someone like Pogba.

Poor example. If you gave me the choice of playing Sean or paying £90m and £500k a week for Pogba, I'd take Sean Longstaff purely for cost-effectiveness vs difference in ability. Although obviously Pogba is the far superior player on paper, he absolutely could not justify an output of £210m (his fee+5yr contract) as just one player vs say £13m over 5 years (£0 transfer and 50kp/w) for Longstaff.

Does anyone know what happened in that incident with him and Fred? All you could see on the box was Fred on the floor, then Fred and McTominay having a bit of a go at Matty.

Fred was trying to intimidate him following a challenge, Matty went chest to chest and Fred took a dive. Fred must rank amongst the worst transfers for some time, he may operate ok in a good team with loads of time, possession and creative players beside him but in that Man U team he may as well be called Jack.

I wouldn't like. Splashing the cash on top class players is great.

We are playing these because we haven't invested in our central midfield with class in 4 years. 2 from a relegation fodder Swansea, Diame a yo-yo midfielder type who has gone now and a lad that couldn't make it at Arsenal.

The Longstaff's have bailed us out. I'm not sure how much either was intended to be introduced into the first team and it's been great to see. But it's mostly down to having dire options in midfield.

If we sold or released the other lads, i'm not sure any would get regular time at other PL clubs. It's only our first choice CBs, GK, maybe one or two of the new signings. But our CMs or RWBs - not a chance imo.

£850 a week with his contract running out in the summer, not sure how busy Charnley is over the next few weeks but I suggest he gets on this

This is always the problem every time they plead poverty and every time an idiot suggests Ashley is doing as much as he can. You can do a lot better on the budget we've had. Case in point, our players performance under Rafa was consistently better, the sell on value of our players coached by him would be higher which would more than offset whatever salary demands he has and also buying more players. The idea that Ashley spends what he earns doesnt take into account he sells cheaply often and then panic spends often in january, which isn't where there is any value. This is what looking purely at money in and out misses not that that isn't damning enough.

Wouldn't surprise me if we fail to offer him a contract just by accident or something