Football stuff on TV

Keefaz

It’s mad how s*** football used to be.

Much preferred it myself, played by characters who smoked/drank that could win games with outrageous skill rather than rely on 6ft athletes who could run 16k a match.

The world cups from England 66 to Italia 90 were great as well, and piss all over anything in the last 20 years.....in my opinion anyway.

It’s mad how s*** football used to be.

Much preferred it myself, played by characters who smoked/drank that could win games with outrageous skill rather than rely on 6ft athletes who could run 16k a match.

The world cups from England 66 to Italia 90 were great as well, and piss all over anything in the last 20 years.....in my opinion anyway.

I'm 33, I'd struggle to name the last 4 of the World Cups after 2002 but remember the lot for the four from 90 upto that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just watched One Night in Turin, great documentary. The media back then were far worse than they are now, an absolute disgrace and the way they hounded Sir Bobby, vilified players and promoted hooliganism was shambolic. I read a book many years ago by a fan who went over there who basically wrote a diary and he detailed how the sun actually tried to get fans to throw chairs, bottles and basically cause a nuisance by offering fans money. Our politicians were no better, basically given their respective Italian counterparts the freedom to adult fans, target them and treat them like shite. Irocally they were one of the best behaved among the most supported teams’ fans, our game winning back European football.

Guest chopey

Just watched One Night in Turin, great documentary. The media back then were far worse than they are now, an absolute disgrace and the way they hounded Sir Bobby, vilified players and promoted hooliganism was shambolic. I read a book many years ago by a fan who went over there who basically wrote a diary and he detailed how the sun actually tried to get fans to throw chairs, bottles and basically cause a nuisance by offering fans money. Our politicians were no better, basically given their respective Italian counterparts the freedom to adult fans, target them and treat them like shite. Irocally they were one of the best behaved among the most supported teams’ fans, our game winning back European football.

Debatable when you look at the way Stirling is treated, fantastic film though.

People either forget or just don't know that as England manager, Bobby wasn't that great. He probably should have been sacked after Euro 88. We would never have qualified for the second round in 86 had the selection of Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins been taken away from him. He did seem more flexible come Italia 90 though, but his use of subs in the semi weren't very good. It was crying out in extra time for Steve Bull to set about the German defence but he left alone. Possibly could have took Shilton off for penalties too. I don't ever remember Shilton saving a pen and sure enough he never got near any of their pens

Love the History Channel showing these. Watching the World Cup 1998 one now and I don't remember it at the time but I watched the videos on repeat and it's bringing back some childhood memories. I used to pretend to Fabien Barthez in the back garden (without the shaved head)

Love the History Channel showing these. Watching the World Cup 1998 one now and I don't remember it at the time but I watched the videos on repeat and it's bringing back some childhood memories. I used to pretend to Fabien Barthez in the back garden (without the shaved head)

My fave World Cup:  vaguely remember Italia 90, bored by the US World Cup: so 98 was when the love started: some great games

Italy 2-2 Chile

Brazil 4-1 Chile

Eng v Arg

Arg v Holl

Eng v Romania

Croatia v Germ

USA v Iran

Spain v Nigeria

Denmark v Brazil

And many more

People either forget or just don't know that as England manager, Bobby wasn't that great. He probably should have been sacked after Euro 88. We would never have qualified for the second round in 86 had the selection of Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins been taken away from him. He did seem more flexible come Italia 90 though, but his use of subs in the semi weren't very good. It was crying out in extra time for Steve Bull to set about the German defence but he left alone. Possibly could have took Shilton off for penalties too. I don't ever remember Shilton saving a pen and sure enough he never got near any of their pens

Eight years in the hot seat (third longest serving England manager). 95 games, with better results (w47 d30 l18) than achieved with Newcastle. It’s easy to pick out woulda-shoulda-coulda choice points, decisions he might have made etc. There are also lesser, in my opinion, shorter serving mangers wth better records, many of which include more meaningless friendly wins. But I think he got so close to winning the World Cup with two well organised England sides that my main take on his tenure is he was unlucky. There was a nice bit of footage of him from Italia 90 which perfectly captures that feeling,

Eight years in the hot seat (third longest serving England manager). 95 games, with better results (w47 d30 l18) than achieved with Newcastle. It’s easy to pick out woulda-shoulda-coulda choice points, decisions he might have made etc. There are also lesser, in my opinion, shorter serving mangers wth better records, many of which include more meaningless friendly wins. But I think he got so close to winning the World Cup with two well organised England sides that my main take on his tenure is he was unlucky. There was a nice bit of footage of him from Italia 90 which perfectly captures that feeling,

I'd say we got close to winning 86 World Cup in spite of him not because of him. Then there's the dismal failure to qualify for France 84 and the pathetic showing at Germany 88. Not as bad as any of the recent managers nor his immediate successor, but in my opinion, not a good England manager.

Obviously, you’re entitled to your opinion. Harsh though, in my opinion.

Hed never have dropped Wilkins if not suspended nor Robson but for his shoulder which wouldn't have brought in Peyter Reyd and Steve Hodge which fully allowed our best midfield player, Glenn Hoddle to properly flourish .

Yep, fully get the gist. Stumbled upon Beardsley and Lineker as well, as the received wisdom has it. Thing is though, and this may be hard to take, I am guessing he knew what made an effective team; knew  better than you or the parade of parasitic press plebs who trotted out shamefully critical shite. Like I said I think your view is harsh. That judgement remains regardless of how confident you are about it.

Yep, fully get the gist. Stumbled upon Beardsley and Lineker as well, as the received wisdom has it. Thing is though, and this may be hard to take, I am guessing he knew what made an effective team; knew  better than you or the parade of parasitic press plebs who trotted out shamefully critical shite. Like I said I think your view is harsh. That judgement remains regardless of how confident you are about it.

Given that we'd lost to Portugal and drew with Morocco before these 2 events deprived him of Robson and Ray Wilkins and then with this new team demolish Poland and Paraguay before Maradona turned up, then it's kind of impossible not to question the manager . But as I say, it's not just about 86. It's about the failure to qualify for the Euros in 84 and the pathetic showing in Germany 88 too. The press had every right to be critical of him.  Just not in the hyperbolic way the press do things. 

As much as I didn't rate him as an England manager incidentally, I didn't want him to leave given we all knew who the successor was to be and the predictably shite way the team went after him

One night in Turin, for about the 5th time. Just to get me in the spirit.

And I always say this, sure I've said it on here, watch Lothar Mathaus after Waddles miss.

Guest chopey

One night in Turin, for about the 5th time. Just to get me in the spirit.

And I always say this, sure I've said it on here, watch Lothar Mathaus after Waddles miss.

Aye I noticed that on my third watch the other night he totally ignores his celebrating team mates to console him, total class.

I thought he was meant to be a bellend, but when you see that footage...?

Plus there's the stories from I think Butcher and Pearce of the Germans conduct during the drug testing. To be fair they've had plenty of practice, but they know how to win.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mathias comes across very well mind on the quite frankly daft head to head thing on history channel catchup footy thing on Sky.

Watched Two Escobars last night online so not exactly TV, but fucking hell, brutal.

• 3 weeks later...