Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are f***ing dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

But Joelinton does set up more chances for teammates when they actually get up in support of him.

I'm not sure that's true. Gayle's support play is quite good, played a great through ball to ASM at the weekend to put him through on goal

I'm not saying he's rubbish though, just imo Joelinton's is better, we haven't really seen it as we've been playing him isolated for most of the season. How good would Gayle look in that formation?

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are fucking dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

Like I put on the previous page, at least Bentaleb was showing for the ball to receive it before he misplaced his passes. Find this as a defence of Gayle very odd tbh. If he’s missing chances once he’s in those positions, what’s the point of that?

Probably said elsewhere, but the big difference between Gayle and Joe Linton is that Gayle actually gets into positions to score. Gayle's movement into scoring positions is miles better and more instinctive than Linton's. Aye, Gayle's finishing stats are f***ing dreadful in the premier league, but he does actually get into goalscoring positions, whereas Lintonsy just doesn't. Because he isn't a central striker. Yet.

Like I put on the previous page, at least Bentaleb was showing for the ball to receive it before he misplaced his passes. Find this as a defence of Gayle very odd tbh. If he’s missing chances once he’s in those positions, what’s the point of that?

Because it's getting us up the field/into the box, creating chances for other players, winning corners, causing confusion in the opposition defence, etc.

You clearly just have an agenda against Gayle because it's pretty obvious that it's better to be missing chances than not having them at all

I thought it was pretty obvious to most that Gayle is one of those, too good for the championship but not quite good enough for the Premiership types.

A good lad who who want to do well, but know at this level he just lacks that little extra, Rafa knew it like.

I thought it was pretty obvious to most that Gayle is one of those, too good for the championship but not quite good enough for the Premiership types.

A good lad who who want to do well, but know at this level he just lacks that little extra, Rafa knew it like.

Yes, everybody knows that, its about him being better than Joelinton, not being a top striker or anything

Yes, everybody knows that, its about him being better than Joelinton, not being a top striker or anything

Does it matter? We're all but safe. Gayle will be flogged and we'll be looking to sign another dud in the summer to compare Joelinton against.

Ah yes then carry on, and I'll not stick my dinky size 7 in without reading further back next time.

• 3 months later...

Honestly think any Newcastle fan making that type of video about one of our players needs to have a word with themselves. It’s not like he’s had commitment issues. The lad has been plagued by some injuries and missed some chances. He’s probably not good enough at Premier League level but that’s embarrassing.

Honestly think any Newcastle fan making that type of video about one of our players needs to have a word with themselves. It’s not like he’s had commitment issues. The lad has been plagued by some injuries and missed some chances. He’s probably not good enough at Premier League level but that’s embarrassing.

Penn made it.

They are easy chances yes but Gayle hasn't been good enough for us since we got promoted and its a sign of how fucked our squad is that we still start him. A properly run club at this level wouldn't have him on the field to begin with.

Should have left when offers were coming in for him instead of holding out for prem football with us. Needs to leave to a promotion chasing team, for good this time. I think though if he’d played as much as Joelinton he’d have 4 times as many goals than him.

There's nothing to choose between our strikers really, all have massive glaring weaknesses that should make them unsuitable for NUFC.

Carroll is much better than the others as a centre forward like. Albeit he hasn't scored yet in his few appearances, but if you had to pick one to lead the line it's an absolute no-brainer imo.

The video is pathetic but it shows a point though. He only has one useful trait at this level (apparently), if he’s missing chances like this he’s no use at all. I’ve never known us to have as weak a selection up front than this.

The useful trait is getting into the positions. Its hard to get into a rhythm with finishing when you are coming off the bench for half an hour once a month. He also literally scored in his previous game

It doesn't show a point at all, every striker misses chances.

I know he's not good enough for a functioning PL club, but we aren't a functioning PL club.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4771/Dwight-Gayle/stats?co=1&se=274

This season:

12 shots at goal, 5 of which on target. 1 goal.

5 big chances missed.

17-18 season.

6 goals from 57 shots (9 big chances missed) when he was first choice for half the season.

For comparison Mitro scored 9 from 79 shots (8 big chances missed) in the season we went down when he was considered to have missed a load of chances.

Joelinton needs to go, now that Carroll is definitely staying, Gayle needs to go...we’re going to need to spend at least £40m on strikers again this summer you’d think.

Joelinton is going nowhere. We’re stuck with him until he starts returning goals, even then we’d be lucky to see half of what we paid.

Guest godzilla

Joelinton needs to go, now that Carroll is definitely staying, Gayle needs to go...we’re going to need to spend at least £40m on strikers again this summer you’d think.

Joelinton is going nowhere. We’re stuck with him until he starts returning goals, even then we’d be lucky to see half of what we paid.

:lol: good luck with that