On this day...

Tooj

What a game, the sound when Tino's 3rd went it will live with me until my dying day....we were hanging on a bit at the end mind!

I said at the game at the time if it had went on for 10 minutes more I think wed have got beat. The euphoria of Tinos 3rd and seeing Gillespie absolutely rape Sergi was sublime. we will never see days like that again

Guest Howaythetoon

Great game that, we were hanging on in the end but that first half was us at our best post KK and reminiscent of our 3-0 start away to Bilboa where we were rampant too. Tino man, despite his flaws, when he was on form he was unplayable and used to work his bolocks off. Keegan man, Shearer, Sir Les and Tino :lol:

Great game that, we were hanging on in the end but that first half was us at our best post KK and reminiscent of our 3-0 start away to Bilboa where we were rampant too. Tino man, despite his flaws, when he was on form he was unplayable and used to work his bolocks off. Keegan man, Shearer, Sir Les and Tino :lol:

Those were the days, the days where we had world superstars playing for us, where we actually terrified teams..Shearer, Sir Les, Tino now we have Perez,Joselu,Muto FFS man...these plebs would not have got a look in with that team in fact Keegan wouldn't have looked twice at that kind of shit

Guest The Little Waster

Even Paul Kitson was better than the utter shit we have up front now.

Billy fuckin Whitehurst was better than some of the shit served up in recent years under Ashley

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember one of Coventry’s former players whose name escapes me saying years later they used to collectively shit themselves coming to SJP under KK and they would have bets on how many their own ‘keeper could keep the score down by, was an English player I know that, not anyone good, blonde fella I think. Weirdly enough I remember Steve Ogrizovic having a blinder most games home and away against us. I can’t remember the keeper’s name, but West Ham’s back then used to always have a blinder too.

People say KK sold Cole because he was two-one dimensional or because he wanted to go more direct, he didn’t, he sold Cole because he didn’t want the team becoming too dependent on him or for hi, to be our main source of goals. When he brought in Sir Les he thought he had someone who would enable others to get more into the game so that we become a goal threat all over, so if our nu,her 9 wasn’t scoring, we could score from someone else. Adding Tino and then Shearer just added to the team’s firepower.

I didn’t look like it would work on paper and it sometimes didn’t exactly dovetail fluidly, but my god we were a constant threat in games like City are today, imagine having to play that trio individually never mind together.

Great days where I always fancied to us to win, home or away and by a few goals too. Not as dominant possession wise as City are today nor as high scoring, but in terms of constant attacking pressure and that all out attitude to wining and scoring enough goals to win the game in style, it was very much the same.

We will never see football like that again, not in that way and under that kind of atmosphere inside the stadium, around the City and around the country. When we turned up, people took to their seats knowing they were going to go home entertained even if their side lost or got a spanking, that’s why so many rivals fans chose us as their second team to watch and favour against anyone but their own team or if it meant us winning effected them.

Guest Howaythetoon

Even Paul Kitson was better than the utter shit we have up front now.

Underrated, very skilful and had a bit of pace. He did well for WHU alongside Hairston for a brief spell, but injuries effected his game. I didn’t want us to sell him, but by then I think the club were looking to trim the squad in terms of wages and players that were never going to be more than just an expensive squad member. That and they wanted to bring in cash to the coffers to make us look cash rich to investors.

One player from that era I wanted us to sign badly was Colin Hendry in defence and for some reason Peter Ndlovu who was a fave other club’s player of mine back then. Had a soft spot for Coventry because of their Morrocon player Hadji, their blue kit, and because of Micky Quinn.

Gillespie's 50-yard run against Sergi was a thing of beauty. Will be thinking of that on my deathbed.

Proper wing play knock the ball ahead of the full back beat him for pace and whip in the perfect cross for Tino to leap like a majestic salmon and bullet header the ball home

Guest Howaythetoon

The Bain (4 year old) his coach at the weekend, only a young lad himself, was trying to get them to dribble. He was instructing them not to run too fast because you’d lose control so take small strides, running fast with the ball at your feet will mean you won’t be able to think to do anything, risk overrrunnjng it, or be knocked off your stride.

Look at Gillespie go man...

4 years old just need a ball and that’s all.

The Bain (4 year old) his coach at the weekend, only a young lad himself, was trying to get them to dribble. He was instructing them not to run too fast because you’d lose control so take small strides, running fast with the ball at your feet will mean you won’t be able to think to do anything, risk overrrunnjng it, or be knocked off your stride.

Look at Gillespie go man...

4 years old just need a ball and that’s all.

I’ve seen a lot of this kind of coaching. They seem to focus exclusively on close control and technique. The lads who progress to the highest junior levels are like automatons by the time they’re 8. Makes me wonder how many raw competitors (and characters) are missed by the current youth development ethos.

That Sheffield Wednesday game I was checking scores on Ceefax. There were 3 pages of scores but I only cared about the Newcastle one so I pressed HOLD to freeze the screen when we were winning 4-0.

I didn't realise by freezing it it meant that the score wouldn't update. My dad got in from the match and told me that Newcastle won 8-0 I couldn't believe it and was convinced that if I checked the Newcastle score on Ceefax every week and then pressed HOLD, the score would double by full time.

Me and dad were watching the live Sky game and they kept popping up the goals as they happened from our game. First one was, ‘moments ago Andy Booth had the ball in the back of the net...but it was ruled out...and then this happened’ showing the Hughes goal. I think by the 7th Martin Tyler said another goal at St James Park and Andy Gray sounded shocked saying, ‘What? Another one??’. :lol:

Guest neesy111

We'll never have another night like that while fat mike is in charge :(

A raw moment of entertainment that season, we were utter garbage for 95% of it.

Guest firetotheworks

Yeah, the Barca game was good and I know people absolutely loved it, but it didn't hit me like the 5-0 or the 7-1 Vs Spurs did. I think I spent most of that season arguing with my dad about Tomasson. [emoji38]