England

Yorkie

This is the best England team I can remember. There's a system that works, they play to keep the ball and score goals.

The defence and midfield doesn't look as star studded on paper as previous decades but in attack there's loads of pace and quality.

I'm amazed there are people still negative about watching them.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve pretty much always liked watching England, blessed relief from club football. This team is very likeable IMO, Sterling in particular is setting a great example at the moment.

Aye, same here, fell out of love with them towards the back end of the last decade under Capello, McClaren etc. Loved them under Venables and Hoddle and quite liked Sven if not his football.

Just imagine where they’d be if Big Sam was still in charge :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

This is the best England team I can remember. There's a system that works, they play to keep the ball and score goals.

The defence and midfield doesn't look as star studded on paper as previous decades but in attack there's loads of pace and quality.

I'm amazed there are people still negative about watching them.

We finally have a team that can play possession footy, have technical qualities as a team not just individuals and lots of young hungry talented players who together under the very likeable and smart Southgate play exciting attacking football on a par with anyone. Happy days, as ever though the expectations will rise through the roof and lots will be chomping at the bit to knock them down after building them up. Me, I just ignore the whole nonsense that surrounds England and try and enjoy it which I’m doing massively, anyone who isn’t is miserable cunts!

Aye, like many my interest has become as revived as it's ever likely to be. I can remember - certainly in 98/00/02/04 and probably in 06 - being as gutted as one could be as a football fan. The interest was more-or-less on par as it was with Newcastle.

McClaren never seemed like a sensible appointment and interest wained terribly. Couldn't be remotely fucked rooting for the likes of Terry and Gerrard, whilst Rooney felt like a constant disappointment despite somehow climbing to the top of the leaderboard. Probably wasn't all his fault cos he was constantly billed as the key to it all. Felt annoyed but not overly so when Croatia kept us away from 08, then Capello was a total charisma vacuum and Germany deservedly battered us. Meh.

Hodgson rekindled things to an extent but again the team just wasn't there.

Southgate's got the perfect recipe in a way because he's extremely likeable, interesting to listen to, got a squad full of exciting players and he's built a proper team. The World Cup was terrific and we look like we're getting stronger with more talent coming through. I think it's exciting as fuck, can't wait for next year.

I thought Hodgson had some good ideas until he decided to take zero wide players to Euro 2016, put Harry Kane on corners and was generally needlessly negative (nee strikers by the end against Russia, for instance). Fuck knows what was going on there, should never have done as poorly as we did.

I thought Hodgson had some good ideas until he decided to take zero wide players to Euro 2016, put Harry Kane on corners and was generally needlessly negative (nee strikers by the end against Russia, for instance). Fuck knows what was going on there, should never have done as poorly as we did.

Paid €80 for a ticket for that 0-0 against Slovakia in St Etienne. Proportionally, the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Absolutely rotten.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...