The Roeder Question.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's try and keep it simple, he needed to by 2 defenders he didn't. The buck stops with him.

Parky you are bang on the money.When the whole world can see we have had maybe 2 decent defenders since promotion,i.e. Woodgate and Albert,why did we sign 3 attacking players pre transfer window?Hes also made our defence weaker by giving Scotty a more advanced role thus depriving our back 4 of any protection and that is why we are leaking silly goals now,because the back 4 have more responsibility now.

we have had more than 2 decent defenders since promotion .....

For starters, Howey was a better defender than Albert.....

And - if he had spent his 15m quid on 2 defenders, who exactly do you think would be playing up front, having lost Owen, Shearer and Bellamy in the last 2 years ..........

I agree about Stevie Howey,but we definitely need 2 defenders now and have done since Woodgate left tbh and as for the lack of money,FFS sanctioned the wastage of 50 mill plus with his appointment of crap managers ,the figures paid for Guivarch,Viana, Bramble,Boumsong,Luque etc. make terrible reading joined to the talent we let go cheaper than we should,i.e Bellamy,show just how much money Shepherd has let through his fingers.

Guest Knightrider

Let's try and keep it simple, he needed to by 2 defenders he didn't. The buck stops with him.

Maybe but I don't think he is fully to blame for the transfer window debacle and I'd be shocked if the board didn't undermine him in some way on that front given they did so to the previous two managers.

I don't doubt for a moment that Sibierski and Bernard were boardroom deals either and not Roeder buys because they just don't fit the profile, I don't think Duff was either, not in so many words.

I think the club went to Roeder and said: "would you like Duff"

Roeder: "sure but we need defenders and strikers first"

Club: "don't worry Glenn, we'll work with you to bring those players in"

Roeder: "go on then, aye, I'll have Duff as well in that case"

I could be wrong like, but I don't think I'm too far off.

I think Roeder was absolutely correct to spend his money on 2 - in his opinion - quality forwards, we needed them because we literally had nobody else once we knew Owen was out.

I agree we needed to spend money on forwards, but I look at the 15m on Martins and Duff combined and think we could have bought two good forwards (Duff is a left winger and we are OK in that position so therefore he was a luxury IMO) AND some defenders too, for that money. Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink went on a free, he would do a job as he is for Charlton, we could have had Campbell on a free too. Just two examples.

Obviously it is easier said than done and hindsight is a wonderful thing but they have access to finances and know what they can and can not spend on so should plan accordingly, today the 15m we spent on Duff and Martins is looking misspent.

Duff isn't needed and Martins will need time and is too inexperienced to have the burden of replacing Shearer and Owen on his shoulders, not to mention overpriced although long-term I think he may prove value for money and of course, the price we paid had nowt to do with him so it isn't his fault.

Our transfer dealings in the summer were odd and have hamstrung us until January at least. We went into it knowing we needed defenders and strikers of quality who could come in and do a job straight away and we came out of it with a 21 year old foreigner, an under weight left-back on a free who has been out of sorts for 2 years (why didn't we get him in in June, he'd be fit today?), a 32 year old midfielder passed off as a striker (he isn't) (yet we turned down Campbell and JFH because they were too old?), a 19 year old youth player on loan from Man Utd (why not keep Chopra?) and Damien Duff, a left winger which we didn't and still don't need.

I think we ballsed it up and we're paying for that now.

If Glen wanted to shut out Manure he couldn't do better than watch a few videos of how Greece won the Euro championships against vastly superior opposition.

If you're going to defend deep you have to narrow the play (as the Greeks did) and defend in clusters, picking up men as they come into your zone.

You see that would be double dutch to GR. tongue.gif

Parky you are bang on the money.When the whole world can see we have had maybe 2 decent defenders since promotion,i.e. Woodgate and Albert,why did we sign 3 attacking players pre transfer window?Hes also made our defence weaker by giving Scotty a more advanced role thus depriving our back 4 of any protection and that is why we are leaking silly goals now,because the back 4 have more responsibility now.

And - if he had spent his 15m quid on 2 defenders, who exactly do you think would be playing up front, having lost Owen, Shearer and Bellamy in the last 2 years ..........

I agree about Stevie Howey,but we definitely need 2 defenders now and have done since Woodgate left tbh and as for the lack of money,FFS sanctioned the wastage of 50 mill plus with his appointment of crap managers ,the figures paid for Guivarch,Viana, Bramble,Boumsong,Luque etc. make terrible reading joined to the talent we let go cheaper than we should,i.e Bellamy,show just how much money Shepherd has let through his fingers.

We don't need 2 defenders more than we needed 2 forwards. We had no forwards, zero. At least Taylor and Moore are decent and barring injury would do well in  alot of games, up front though we had nobody.

Its not about the scottish fuckpig wasting 50m quid, we know he did. You have to move on, and give Roeder some understanding, he has been dealt a shite set of cards and any manager would need time to re-shape the squad. I don't know if he will or not but I totally agree with where he prioritised his transfer budget. Which - without going over old ground - is still vastly more than most other clubs, despite the board being "shit".

I agree with Knighty, buying Duff was ill thought through. Martins I have no problem with as it was a must buy. Just saying I would have seen the Duff money better spent on one quality CB and one alternative Full back.

Guest Knightrider

To beat Man Utd I think you have to take the game to them because when you do you expose their own weaknesses which are plentyful, you have to force Ronaldo central too because he gets bogged down and resorts to 40 yard shorts at goal as he did against Arsenal. On the flanks he'll rape you. You want Rooney playing a high line too so you drop back a bit, again like Arsenal, but on the flanks you push up, with your central midfield forcing Ronaldo infield. Basically you have to play as individuals going forward and as a team in defence.

They are no great shakes IMO and are very average compared to their former great self. We just played into their hands and gave their shakey defence and unbalanced midfield an afternoon off.

Had we went for it we would have caused them problems like we caused Liverpool some, of course you risk opening yourself up to the Ronaldo's and Rooney's but you also expose their weaknesses which they often sucumb to when got at.

He cannot survive in the current environment , even if he had a chance in the first place(which I do not believe he did - should never have been appointed & wouldn't have been if anyone decent had agreed to take the job).

Too many off-field problems now , even for a top manager , and we need the club's position sorting out ASAP. Cannot see him surviving past season's end unless he works a miracle in the second half - even then , new owners will probably want a top-class guy in charge .

Guest Shibby

I voted for Roeder out NOW!

I've bloody seen enough to know that he's shite. Just because one was a past legend on the pitch doesn't automatically make one a good manager. I still maintain that with him in charge we WILL NEVER win anything.

Some of you I think, are waayy too nice, prefering to give him the seaon and all before passing the verdict but it is important we nip the evil at it's root before it grows into a poisonous man-eating flower.

Sure, he is a nice man and all but he needs to go. Pls Glenn take the serverance package (which I'm sure is quite a bit of money) and leave. We have seen enough of you.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2737/venusflytrapab1.gif

Maybe but I don't think he is fully to blame for the transfer window debacle and I'd be shocked if the board didn't undermine him in some way on that front given they did so to the previous two managers.

I don't doubt for a moment that Sibierski and Bernard were boardroom deals either and not Roeder buys because they just don't fit the profile, I don't think Duff was either, not in so many words.

Thats just guesswork though, isn't it. Simple fact is that we only have one defender worthy of a team trying to achieve - and then better - 6th place, and that's Taylor. Roeder is the manager, and he failed to bring in any defenders in the transfer window.

Guest Knightrider

Thats just guesswork though, isn't it. Simple fact is that we only have one defender worthy of a team trying to achieve - and then better - 6th place, and that's Taylor. Roeder is the manager, and he failed to bring in any defenders in the transfer window.

He did but I wouldn't say he is fully to blame for that, what we have learned since is that he wanted Huth but FS wanted Woodgate, and in typical Toon style, we tried to buy both at the 11th hour just as they were putting pen to paper at Boro.

He did but I wouldn't say he is fully to blame for that, what we have learned since is that he wanted Huth but FS wanted Woodgate, and in typical Toon style, we tried to buy both at the 11th hour just as they were putting pen to paper at Boro.

I don't think GR is fully to blame, no, but he does still bear a large portion of the responsibility, as manager.

Guest Knightrider

I don't think GR is fully to blame, no, but he does still bear a large portion of the responsibility, as manager.

Oh aye, I agree with that but I'm sure when we went into this window he would have wanted to strengthen defence and attack adequately and I don't consider Bernard nor Sibierski to be of his doing, but rather the club's which he had no real choice but to go along with, either that or be even more short in numbers.

Guest Phil K

What bollocks.

Albert was far better than Howey.

Howey was a malingering makem.

When he went to Man City they insisted on a clause about his going on the sick.

They did that for a reason, you know.

He hasnt been much cop wherever he's gone thereafter.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the penalty and the Ramage howler we don't seem to be able to create the chances we need to at home.

The panic and airshots from the def everytime Bolton threw it into the box if not alarming is amusing.

There was a good spell in the first half for 20 min or so after we took the lead we held a lot of posession, yet failed to follow up when they looked a bit rattled.

This side seems to have no fluency and is hesitant all over the field.

Guest geordieracer

il repeat this in this thread

i don't mean to turn on anyone but anyone who wanted roeder in the first place and texted in etc, should start watching rugby as they obviously didn't have a clue about football

fucking curbishley anyone? the one who can only take a team to a certain point? atleast that point will be higher up the table

Without meaning to be alarmist the worst sign is how most of the heads dropped as soon as they equalised. The rest was inevitable. You have to laugh some people have been trying to tell me Martins is better than Anelka (he ran it and I don't even think he came out of 3rd gear).

While today was poor we have Middlesborough, Charlton and Sheffield United in our next 3 games, if we can win atleast 2 of them then I'm fine with Roeder carrying on as I truly believe he'll come good in the end.