Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Alcoholism is where the person values alcohol more than their health. Alcoholics can’t see further than their next drink. It’s an awful disease and watching someone slowly kill themselves is awful to watch.

Some people just can’t see how strong addiction is and the fact that stopping really isn’t an option. Even when an alcoholic stops drinking they’re not “cured”. It’s a daily fight

Unfortunately some people will never understand that alcoholism is a disease and not an option.

:thup:

Heartening to read this as a recovering alcoholic when so much else of the thread is ill informed, insulting, heartless and brainless bullshit. Honestly it's been a painful read, seeing some of the very strong "opinions" that we're up against, as well as an exasperating and often crippling mental illness.

I'm 3 and a bit years sober but often the easiest way to stay that way is to disengage with much of the world, as there are judgemental people all over just dying to tell you their "opinion" on stuff they know nowt about. My sobriety doesn't make me any better than Gazza, I could drink any day but if I did I wouldn't have to put up with knackers up and down the country pointing their finger and making their judgement on my situation.

And this is not a pop at people like Bimpy who have had a real life experience of alcoholics close to them being destructive and putting their next drink, i.e. Feeding their addiction, ahead of everything else. I know that's what happens as I was getting to the stage of doing the same to everyone around me before I was lucky enough to be able to draw on various resources and stop.

But anyone trying to make this a black and white issue without any understanding of the illness that I and many others live with can absolutely get fucked.

Great post Interpolic. Glad you’re doing well and you got some effective help. :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I grew in in Benwell and Scotswood in the 70's and 80's and I'm sure there are people on here who have similar backgrounds. Chuck in an alcoholic father and to say it was tough was an understatement so I have first hand grade A experience of dealing with people like him.

In any other walk of life, this bloke would be branded a disgrace but because he's 'good 'ole lovable Gazza' who used to be a canny footballer 30 years ago, this somehow warrants him an endless bottomless bucket of sympathy. He has had more chances, more rehab, more cash spent on him than he deserves.

As mentioned by one or two others, these people are not the personalities you think they are. They are selfish and destructive. He's been clean many times and he doesn't like it. He likes being p*ssed and likes being an alcoholic.

I you think he needs saving again I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Interesting that you're using 'because he's good 'ole lovable Gazza who used to be a canny footballer 30 years ago' as the reason for him getting undeserved sympathy that others wouldn't get, yet haven't thought about it any further than that and realised that other people also don't get the hero worship in the first place either, and that that's a big part of his specific problem with addiction. If you read anything about Gazza's case specifically, this is basically spelled out.

He shouldn't be getting special treatment either way imo, it should be obvious to everyone by now that the idolisation - doing talks, tours, books, documentaries etc about the genius of him as a footballer, and the anecdotes about him being p*ssed during matches etc being laughed at rather than being seen as shameful - just fuels this whole destructive cycle he's in.

That's not to say that he doesn't have to make the choice to go clean himself, because he does, but while he's having money thrown at him for rehab and thinking that's the solution, or that spending money is the height of what someone can do for another human being, whilst the same people also feed and perpetuate the hero worship, isn't helping him to get to that choice, it's like turning on a fan because the heating's too hot.

The rest of your argument isn't unique, it's the same one that Peter Hitchens makes and can be easily dismantled with a single fact - Alcohol is addictive. Add to that that we have 600,000 alcoholics in the UK and 10,000 alcoholic deaths a year, I think if you really want to have any serious discussion on the subject, you can't just sweep that under the carpet as personal choice, selfishness, destructiveness etc when the ONLY common denominator is an addiction to alcohol.

Alcoholism is where the person values alcohol more than their health. Alcoholics can’t see further than their next drink. It’s an awful disease and watching someone slowly kill themselves is awful to watch.

Some people just can’t see how strong addiction is and the fact that stopping really isn’t an option. Even when an alcoholic stops drinking they’re not “cured”. It’s a daily fight

Unfortunately some people will never understand that alcoholism is a disease and not an option.

Heartening to read this as a recovering alcoholic when so much else of the thread is ill informed, insulting, heartless and brainless bullshit. Honestly it's been a painful read, seeing some of the very strong "opinions" that we're up against, as well as an exasperating and often crippling mental illness.

I'm 3 and a bit years sober but often the easiest way to stay that way is to disengage with much of the world, as there are judgemental people all over just dying to tell you their "opinion" on stuff they know nowt about. My sobriety doesn't make me any better than Gazza, I could drink any day but if I did I wouldn't have to put up with knackers up and down the country pointing their finger and making their judgement on my situation.

And this is not a pop at people like Bimpy who have had a real life experience of alcoholics close to them being destructive and putting their next drink, i.e. Feeding their addiction, ahead of everything else. I know that's what happens as I was getting to the stage of doing the same to everyone around me before I was lucky enough to be able to draw on various resources and stop.

But anyone trying to make this a black and white issue without any understanding of the illness that I and many others live with can absolutely get fucked.

Awesome that you're sober mate and I wholeheartedly hope that continues for you. Far too many judgements being thrown around by ill-informed, judgemental keyboard warriors. It's an horrific disease and as usual people don't understand the intangible diseases in society, it must be a simple case of "pull yourself together" or "cheer up", if only it were that easy. I've seen it destroy my sister's marriage, as much as I hated his alcoholism and what the guy did to my sister, I couldn't help but also feel for his plight, I know what drove him to alcohol and I know he didn't want to be the guy he was but it was his only escape.

It's easy to judge someone who has had everything and is seemingly throwing it all down the drain, but you don't know what demons he is fighting, what daily struggles he faces. I don't profess to understand, I can't empathise but I can sympathise, I hope he can get help and I hope he can stay clean.

:thup: Glad you're doing so well mate.

Guest neesy111

The only issue I have with gazza is he's had so much support from his many friends in football and yet he hasn't really turned himself around and after seeing some others go through it he really is a special case.

Also maybe sometimes tough love is what is needed.

But anyone trying to make this a black and white issue without any understanding of the illness that I and many others live with can absolutely get f***ed.

Big love, man.

I’m a serious gambling addict and when I relapse the one thing that drives me mad is the fact that people think I thought about the stress and awful situation I’m putting myself and others in. The point is that the gambling or the drink in his case happens without any thought about consequences and feels like the best thing to do.

Though it needs to come from the person themselves to fix the issue.

This is where i disagree slightly about it not being a good idea to post these videos.

One of the worst things I do is try and cover up my addiction. Gazza does this aswel releasing statements saying everything is ok now he’s x months sober etc.

If people don’t release the video etc he will never get the help as he won’t highlight the issue himself if he’s anything like me with the gambling. I feel like this might actually help him whilst being embarrassed as people know he’s relapsing again and can offer help.

If I can cover the gambling up I will as I’m trying to not stress people around me thinking I’m struggling again. A couple of times it came to a head where it all got exposed but this actually led to me being better at controlling my addiction and getting some more help- rather than it becoming a bigger problem with me drinking more and taking drugs etc to try and self medicate- looks like his ‘self medication’ in this case is cocaine or Ive read in the past prescription drugs

Don’t know whether this is useful and I know addiction is different in different people so maybe my views are wrong on this but that’s basically my take on it.

I’m a serious gambling addict and when I relapse the one thing that drives me mad is the fact that people think I thought about the stress and awful situation I’m putting myself and others in. The point is that the gambling or the drink in his case happens without any thought about consequences and feels like the best thing to do.

This is where i disagree slightly about it not being a good idea to post these videos.

One of the worst things I do is try and cover up my addiction. Gazza does this aswel releasing statements saying everything is ok now he’s x months sober etc.

If people don’t release the video etc he will never get the help as he won’t highlight the issue himself if he’s anything like me with the gambling. I feel like this might actually help him whilst being embarrassed as people know he’s relapsing again and can offer help.

If I can cover the gambling up I will as I’m trying to not stress people around me thinking I’m struggling again. A couple of times it came to a head where it all got exposed but this actually led to me being better at controlling my addiction and getting some more help- rather than it becoming a bigger problem with me drinking more and taking drugs etc to try and self medicate- looks like his ‘self medication’ in this case is cocaine or Ive read in the past prescription drugs

Don’t know whether this is useful and I know addiction is different in different people so maybe my views are wrong on this but that’s basically my take on it.

:thup: all the beet matie.

I think the problem with Gazza’s videos is it’s nationwide attention though. Your average alcoholic doesn’t have their face plastered all over the sun when they relapse. People say he’s lucky because he’s had all of this support but we’ve never really been in that situation.

Regarding gambling addiction one of my best mates is a gambling addict like (I’ve got like 3 best mates and another is an alky lol). What do you think of stuff like gamstop, do they help or not? I keep trying to sign him uo to them behind his back but I fail the security questions :lol: I’m not 100% sure what it does but all of his gambling is through his phone so any block on that would probably stop him from gambling his wages every week.

Hope you get yourself sorted mate  O0

I think the one thing everyone probably forgets is, every situation is different, every person affected has a different reaction to what someone else might, it's all different and there's no one thing, no magic wand to solve it all.

For me my reaction is sometimes anger at being let down again but that never last long. Aye sometimes you feel like saying 'right that's it I'm done helping' i think that's a perfectly normal reaction at times, and you do feel like the addict needs to help themselves and they do, but they still need you and you go again trying your best to help, doing whatever you can.

Some really telling posts in here, I think what we can all take from things like this is that most of us are not okay. And its both scary and comforting how normal that is. For a football chat forum based in the North East, predominantly male, i think that says a lot.

Chances are most of us are in a similar situation one way or another or at the very least we can all relate in some way.

Anyway. Im a stranger to most, so if anyone wants to send a PM to get anything off their chest and have someone none judgemental to be an ear, please feel free. Just get in touch. Dont even have to reply. Im sure anyone else here would do the same.

We're not alone.

Some really telling posts in here, I think what we can all take from things like this is that most of us are not okay. And its both scary and comforting how normal that is. For a football chat forum based in the North East, predominantly male, i think that says a lot.

Chances are most of us are in a similar situation one way or another or at the very least we can all relate in some way.

Anyway. Im a stranger to most, so if anyone wants to send a PM to get anything off their chest and have someone none judgemental to be an ear, please feel free. Just get in touch. Dont even have to reply. Im sure anyone else here would do the same.

We're not alone.

:thup: I second that sentiment, sometimes it's just good to vent

We're not alone.

Absolutely. Great post mate. Us men can be pretty bad at talking about this sort of stuff and that needs to change if the shocking male suicide rate is to be lowered.

I haven't seen any video but I can see everyone's comments. I thought this might cheer folks up on this subject though; a mate of mine took a pic yesterday with Gazza in Blackpool and he (Gazza) looked very good tbf.