Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Mitro, Perez and Diame having such erratic seasons, performing a lot worse than we'd have expected of them at this level hasn't helped our season. Even Shelvey hasn't scored very often. I'd expected him to have more of a goal scoring impact.

Mitrovic is the only big money flop out of those tbh. Might need to look at other positions to see where we are really coming up short.

So which NUFC players are away on international duty? Most of them need a good rest.

Found the answer: -

Grant Hanley, Matt Ritchie (Scotland):

22.03.2017  Canada (h) Easter Road FR

26.03.2017  Slovenia (h) Hampden WCQ

Aleksandar Mitrovic (Serbia):

24.03.2017 Georgia (a) Tbilisi WCQ

Ciaran Clark, Rob Elliot, Daryl Murphy (Ireland):

24.03.2017 Wales (h) Dublin WCQ

28.03.2017  Iceland (h) Dublin FR

Matz Sels (Belgium):

25.03.2017 Greece (h) Brussels WCQ

28.03.2017  Russia (a) Sochi FR

Doubt Clark will be fit to go.

• 3 months later...

Might have no other alternative considering our restricted budget. No one else who can play RB besides Yedlin.

I think Rafa quite likes Sterry and he could well be second choice.

Guest neesy111

Current strongest lineup and subs?

Krul, Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden, Murphy, De Jong, Gayle.

Darlow, Manquillo, Lascelles, Mbemba, Atsu, Aarons, Perez.

Swap Perez for De Jong.

It's still nowhere near strong enough for my liking.

Krul, Yedlin, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden, Murphy, De Jong, Gayle.

Swap Perez for De Jong.

Don't agree tbh

Guest neesy111

Swap Perez for De Jong.

Don't agree tbh

Why?

De Jong has hardly shown any form to show why he should start?

Guest neesy111

De Jong has played one pre season game and wasn't that good when he played before

Exactly, I can't believe the hype he's getting.  Goes back to about how players at nufc get better when they aren't playing.

I like De Jong because my impression is that he's good technically and a quick thinker in the final third, but I struggle to see how he fits in our system. I still think the number 10 role was a really difficult one to fill last season, with the central midfielders tending to sit deep, and so many balls going long either out wide or over the top for Gayle to chase. How does De Jong contribute to that process? Diame was often preferred as a sort of battering ram, to chase and battle for loose balls, and Perez is at least mobile.

It's quite clear that Rafa doesn't want Krul. He's only got a year left on his contract. I'd imagine a Dutch club could afford to buy him as I doubt he'd cost more than a couple of million pounds.

Hanley was bought for around £5m and that fee is well within reach of Championship clubs these days. We should be able to find a buyer for him.

Which Italian team did NUFC beat to the signing of Lazaar? Maybe they're still interested in him, if not another Italian team might be.

Wages are the problem when it comes to selling players to non-English teams. There would probably be buyers for more of our surplus to requirements foreign players if they weren't on double other leagues wages. Haidara and Saivet fall into this category.

I doubt any club would pay a transfer fee for Riviere. We'll be lucky if we can get a club to loan him and contribute to his wages.

Off the back of this article: -

https://www.themag.co.uk/2017/07/rafa-benitez-admits-preston-match-needs-get-rid-least-6-players-newcastle-united/

"Premier League rules dictate at the end of the transfer window you have to name 25 senior players"

Goalkeepers: Tim Krul, Freddie Woodman (U21), Karl Darlow, Rob Elliott

Current situation seems to be Rafa wants to: -

Keep: Rob Elliot.

Loan out: Woodman?

Sell: Darlow and Krul.

Defenders: Paul Dummett, Achraaf Lazaar, Massadio Haidara, Jamaal Lascelles, Grant Hanley, Ciaran Clark, Chancel Mbemba, Florian Lejeune, DeAndre Yedlin, Jesus Gamez, Jamie Sterry, Javier Manquillo

Rafa wants to: -

Keep: Dummett, Lascelles, Clark, Lejeune, Yedlin and Manquillo.

Loan out: Sterry?

Unknown? Maybe sell if the right offer comes in and a replacement brought in: Mbemba and Gamez.

Sell: Lazaar, Haidara and Hanley.

Midfielders: Henri Saivet, Jonjo Shelvey, Isaac Hayden, Jack Colback, Rolando Aarons, Matt Ritchie, Christian Atsu, Ayoze Perez, Mo Diame, Siem De Jong, Jacob Murphy

Keep: Shelvey, Hayden, Ritchie, Atsu, Perez and Murphy.

Loan out: Maybe Aarons?

Unknown? Maybe sell if the right offer comes in and a replacement brought in: Colback, Diame and De Jong.

Sell: Saivet.

Strikers: Dwight Gayle, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Manu Riviere

Keep: Gayle.

Unknown? Maybe sell if the right offer comes in and a replacement brought in: Mitrovic.

Sell: Riviere.