Southampton 2-0 Newcastle United - 06/11/2020 - post match from pg18

Disco

Guest neesy111

Southampton did well not to sack Hasenhüttl after the Leicester 9-0 defeat.  From that to top of the league in 12 months.

Southampton did well not to sack Hasenhüttl after the Leicester 9-0 defeat.  From that to top of the league in 12 months.

Hopefully that's tongue in cheek.  The press were wanking over Everton up to last week.  By Xmas, the table will look like it did last Xmas.

You knew as soon as he went in there how he wanted to play, you could see from the start and results improved overall from Hughes. Weird as I thought you couldn’t do that, we’ve been told it takes an age seemingly. They’ve had a couple of batterings along the way but they’re a very good team. That midfield of Romeu, Armstrong & Ward-Prowse is quality.

The 2 mistakes for the goals were abysmal but this has been a stinking performance. Fully deserved to lose.

Bruce doing ok?  (No I'm not letting it go).

Rod, go wank in a nettle bush.

I'm not happy about that like!  :knuppel2:

The 2 mistakes for the goals were abysmal but this has been a stinking performance. Fully deserved to lose.

Bruce doing ok?  (No I'm not letting it go).

Rod, go wank in a nettle bush.

Just answer the question, is Bruce doing ok?

Even the window licker know it:

Is he being sarcastic though ?

when are we good?

Slightly the better of two poor teams in a poor game is all I've seen this season and for most of last.

Well I'm judging by Ryder's tiny brain, so when he says good, he actually means win/play ok.

Compare and contrast.

You’re telling me this mug actually has a system and stuck by it? That is absolutely the wrong way to go about it. He should have changed the system immediately. Maybe blame too many attacking players on the pitch, maybe blame the previous manager from 2 year ago. If that failed he should have gone straight to social media and the fans not being onside.

The difference between Hasenhuttl sticking by his guns and Bruce’s, ‘if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it’. Hasenhuttl does it because he believes in it and knows if they get it right, it’ll work.

Bruce has won with a direct 4-4-2 against West Ham and decided to keep it because it wasn’t fair to drop players against a team it was clear it wouldn’t work against. Then last week 5-3-2 against a team with not much pace, he decided to keep it just because the result was positive. I hate him.

If Bruce had his own philosophy and stuck by it because he believed in it, no matter how good or bad, I’d have far more respect. He came in with an idea of 5-3-2 that he’d used at Hull & Villa before us, and dumped it after 2 games to hide behind Benitez’s formation. He tried a 4-2-3-1 at Leicester last season and dropped it after one game before hiding behind Benitez’s 3-4-3 again. If he truly believed in his work and stuck by it, drilled it in the players that that’s how he wants to play, we’d be seeing the same as Southampton now. As it goes, he’s a clueless wazzock.

I've held out hopes that the emergence of the Longstaffs might raise us to a better level, but that confidence took a bit of a knock last night. Sean got caught in possession a bit too much. Matty seems to have shed a few pounds, but didn't look up for it at all. Still, that's just one game.

If we're going to press higher up, we need to be more committed. We were running up to opponents and then stopping about five yards away, just in case we got beaten. The whole point - I think - is to be fully committed so that the opponent has to release the ball. It can only work if the pressing is done with the confidence that other players are pressing as well and ready to pounce on a pass that has been hastily delivered. We seemed to be pressing as individuals and not as a team.

It's been over a year now. Players are not showing any consistency. The team is not showing any consistency. Every game is STILL painful viewing.

ASM has been rendered ineffective, Almiron also, Longstaffs are long gone, Joelinton is now worth about £4, Fraser still hasn't really been worked into the team, Hendrick is already completely lost out there, Hayden is now on the bench and Wilson is now finally injured from chasing around for scraps every game.

But hey, we're 11th, so all is well in the world.

I've held out hopes that the emergence of the Longstaffs might raise us to a better level, but that confidence took a bit of a knock last night. Sean got caught in possession a bit too much. Matty seems to have shed a few pounds, but didn't look up for it at all. Still, that's just one game.

If we're going to press higher up, we need to be more committed. We were running up to opponents and then stopping about five yards away, just in case we got beaten. The whole point - I think - is to be fully committed so that the opponent has to release the ball. It can only work if the pressing is done with the confidence that other players are pressing as well and ready to pounce on a pass that has been hastily delivered. We seemed to be pressing as individuals and not as a team.

The Longstaffs have got absolutely no fucking chance of progressing under current coaching. Flashes of potential under Rafa, but fuck all since.

What's happened to Sean Longstaff feels like another great tragedy of the recent Ashley era. We might never know if his early form was an indication of his true potential. So assured in possession, combative, attacking threat - with the physical presence to carry it all out as well. Lad looked like he could've been a real star. And when was the last time we saw a player like that, in that position, come through? The only great talent from the academy in my time supporting the club is Carroll; I can't think of any centre-mids.

He looked good last week but reverted back to his chaotic, fumbling performances that we’ve seen from him under Bruce. I have a bit of a personal gripe of how fast supporters seems to want to write young players off as shite or not good enough for the level but Sean is probably at a pivotal season for us this year.