Newcastle United Managers - The Premier League Years

Rafalove

No offence to Chris Hughton, but the fact he’s in the top 5 managers of a massive premier league club just shows how horribly this club has been run.

Theres that argument but he also basically held the club together in a rather difficult period post relegation with the owner AWOL squad being picked apart and the banana kit. It would have been very easy with a different character for team spirit to collapse and we could be stuck in the championship to this day possibly. Instead he got a good team spirit going and steadily improved the team over the championship season and got us up with flying colours all in all not bad for a first proper go at being a manager.

Guest neesy111

1. Keegan

2. Robson

3. Rafa

4. Hughton - Did wonders in the Championship to keep everyone together and had a good start in the PL with the win against Villa all the way through to the mackems before the most unjust sacking out of anyone in this list by some distance.

5. Roeder - Did well enough in Europe with us, comfortably qualifying from a semi-difficult group and finished with a 45% win ratio overall. Not bad.

6. Dalglish - Qualified for the CL, signed Speed and Given, got us to an FA Cup final

7. Bruce - Whether luck or not, we would not have been relegated this season had it continued as normal.

8. Pardew - Utter cunt of a human being who lucked his way to a 5th place finish by stumbling on several purples, being completely unable to handle expectations and lived so far up Ashleys arse he made some of the fans belive the club wasn't as big as it was.

9. Gullit - Tit. Shearer on the bench v the mackems, not giving Rob Lee a squad number. WTF. Made it all about him and his fucking deck chair. Sold Steve Watson and David Batty who we could have done with keeping. FA Cup final though...

10. Souness - Came in to open a can of whoop ass on a bunch of hyped up kids taking the piss out of an old man. Tactically awful and made some suspect signings. Worse than Pardew by the end.

11. Allardyce - Spectacularly failed to live up to expectations and was sending us down, no matter what he says. Derby County's worst ever top flight squad says hi.

12. McClaren - Did this really happen?

13. Kinnear - Really?

14. Carver - Lickety split.

No way would I put Dalglish that high, we were absolutely rotten in the 1997/98 season minus the barca game.  That FA cup run was pretty fortunate as well with the draws we had.  I still believe we would have won the title that season if KK has stayed, just scored 10 goals in our last 2 games.

Hughton gets a lot of credit for me based on the absolute shit he had to deal with and for putting up with being treated like absolute shit by Ashley and getting a good job done. Never seemed like a bootlicker either, he just got on with it with a quiet dignity.

Guest reefatoon

Pardew was an utter cunt of a man, but Allardyce for me is my most hated Newcastle manager. Absolutely loathed the sweaty bastard. Was him that made me first fall out of love with going to the games. Fucking hate him.

We were actually really fun to watch under Hughton. Not particularly stylish but attacking, spirited and aggressive. Shame we couldn’t keep Ben Arfa fit the season we were in the prem. who knows where we could have finished.

Watch the highlights of our 90’s games on YouTube. We were absolutely shocking at the back.

We’re rating managers here but you have to take that into consideration. As crazy as it sounds, I think Rafas team with Rondon up front beats any of Keegans teams

As would Robsons circa 2002/2003.

Rafa v Robson?

I think Robson had technically gifted players who could transcend generations but ultimately Rafa would pick the team apart with his inferior players so how is he not the best manager we’ve ever had?

Ferdinand for a start (not even mentioning Shearer or Cole) was a far better player than Rondon

I’m not disagreeing with you about that. My point is that Rafas team with inferior players would have beaten Keegans team with all those star players.

Hughton gets a lot of credit for me based on the absolute shit he had to deal with and for putting up with being treated like absolute shit by Ashley and getting a good job done. Never seemed like a bootlicker either, he just got on with it with a quiet dignity.

Simply by virtue of not being a cunt, Hughton is higher than many on that list...

Guest The Little Waster

Watch the highlights of our 90’s games on YouTube. We were absolutely shocking at the back.

We’re rating managers here but you have to take that into consideration. As crazy as it sounds, I think Rafas team with Rondon up front beats any of Keegans teams

Rafa v Robson?

I think Robson had technically gifted players who could transcend generations but ultimately Rafa would pick the team apart with his inferior players so how is he not the best manager we’ve ever had?

Ferdinand for a start (not even mentioning Shearer or Cole) was a far better player than Rondon

I’m not disagreeing with you about that. My point is that Rafas team with inferior players would have beaten Keegans team with all those star players.

Kin hell man - put the crack pipe down

The Hughton era was never about quality tbf, it was about team spirit, 'the group of lads', and our feeling of having a connection with them. The football in say 11/12 was better, we had better players, won more matches, finished higher in the league etc, but I enjoyed it a lot more in 09/10 and half of 10/11 because of the feeling of togetherness between the team, Hughton, and the fans. Everyone since then bar Rafa hasn't had that and it's something Ashley hated imo.

Guest reefatoon

We were not absolutely shocking at the back at all under Keegan. That is a total myth.  The 95/96 season, we only let 2 more goals in than Man Utd.

Guest godzilla

Rafa v Robson?

No chance

Guest godzilla

We were not absolutely shocking at the back at all under Keegan. That is a total myth.  The 95/96 season, we only let 2 more goals in than Man Utd.

Spouted by people who have seen a couple of youtube clips

It's funny because I'd argue that it's actually a myth that we were bad at the back under Keegan when we weren't. Players made individual mistakes, but looking back now the only obvious weakness was our goalkeepers. Darren Peacock in particular was way better than I remember him being at the time.

Guest reefatoon

Spouted by people who have seen a couple of youtube clips

Totally agree. Read it in a paper and went with it. We were not a team to get turned over back then. Was very rare, and was jumped on by lazy ill informed pundits and journalists as a reason we threw away the league.

Guest reefatoon

It's funny because I'd argue that it's actually a myth that we were bad at the back under Keegan when we weren't. Players made individual mistakes, but looking back now the only obvious weakness was our goalkeepers. Darren Peacock in particular was way better than I remember him being at the time.

Peacock was actually player of the season that season. Massive unsung hero and had a cracking season.

The season Man Utd clawed it back from us and won the title, we only conceded two more goals than them.

1. Keegan

2. Robson

3. Rafa

4. Hughton - Did wonders in the Championship to keep everyone together and had a good start in the PL with the win against Villa all the way through to the mackems before the most unjust sacking out of anyone in this list by some distance.

5. Roeder - Did well enough in Europe with us, comfortably qualifying from a semi-difficult group and finished with a 45% win ratio overall. Not bad.

6. Dalglish - Qualified for the CL, signed Speed and Given, got us to an FA Cup final

7. Bruce - Whether luck or not, we would not have been relegated this season had it continued as normal.

8. Pardew - Utter cunt of a human being who lucked his way to a 5th place finish by stumbling on several purples, being completely unable to handle expectations and lived so far up Ashleys arse he made some of the fans belive the club wasn't as big as it was.

9. Gullit - Tit. Shearer on the bench v the mackems, not giving Rob Lee a squad number. WTF. Made it all about him and his fucking deck chair. Sold Steve Watson and David Batty who we could have done with keeping. FA Cup final though...

10. Souness - Came in to open a can of whoop ass on a bunch of hyped up kids taking the piss out of an old man. Tactically awful and made some suspect signings. Worse than Pardew by the end.

11. Allardyce - Spectacularly failed to live up to expectations and was sending us down, no matter what he says. Derby County's worst ever top flight squad says hi.

12. McClaren - Did this really happen?

13. Kinnear - Really?

14. Carver - Lickety split.

No way would I put Dalglish that high, we were absolutely rotten in the 1997/98 season minus the barca game.  That FA cup run was pretty fortunate as well with the draws we had.  I still believe we would have won the title that season if KK has stayed, just scored 10 goals in our last 2 games.

Would you have Dalglish below Gullit? I was only 10 or so when we appointed Dalglish, maybe my hatred for Souness and all the cunts after him is making me forget how bad we were between Keegan and Sir Bobby.

Keegan

Sir Bob

Rafa

Keegan 2

Hughton

Roeder

Dalglish

Pardew

Gullit

Bruce

Kinnear

Allardyce

McClaren

Souness

Carver

Roeder, Dalglish and Pardew oversaw European nights despite shitness otherwise. Bruce, Kinnear and Allardyce would have kept us up had they completed their respective seasons. McClaren would have taken us down and I firmly believe Souness would have too. An utter utter cunt who from a position of relative strength in terms of the squad absolutely wrecked the club. Carver last because he's pathetic.

Guest godzilla

The season Man Utd clawed it back from us and won the title, we only conceded two more goals than them.

The match that really killed us was the Man Utd at home game; and what made it worse was that arguably we played better or at least had more chances in that game, than we did in the 5 - 0 one the following season. A combination of some very poor misses and some brilliant goalkeeping by Schmeichel.

Guest neesy111

The match that really killed us was the Man Utd at home game; and what made it worse was that arguably we played better or at least had more chances in that game, than we did in the 5 - 0 one the following season. A combination of some very poor misses and some brilliant goalkeeping by Schmeichel.

We just had some crazy games where we would concede stupid goals, Man City 3-3 being an example.

Easy to forget that if we'd beaten Blackburn, as we should have, we'd have been level on points once the games in hand had been played, with a very similar goal difference. Man United then went to Southampton and lost as well. That match felt like the nail in the coffin at the time and it still does now. I still think if we'd won that one match we'd have gone on to win the title.