Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

stolen from reddit but this is a great take:

I grew up wanting to be a football journalist. I studied for it, I worked for many outlets, even now I have a job in the media and I write articles in my spare time. But I went through a long process of realising that this industry is complete bullshit and I had a bit of a existential crisis over whether this thing I had devoted a large portion of my life to was even worth it. I encountered nepotism, casual racism (an ethnic minority in a 93% white male demographic will do that) and, most often, egotistical people who really believed that they were superheroes that the sporting world couldn’t live without. It was always about ‘our tradition, our standards and how our readers have demanded it like this for decades’. There was barely any room for integrity, you either operated how they all did or you get left behind. For a while I went with it, desperate to succeed. But eventually I realised I got into journalism because I wanted to express myself and try new things, not conform to the behaviour of dinosaurs and suppress my individuality. So I fell out of love with it and pivoted to a slightly different career whilst exercising my creativity in my own way.

The point of that long backstory is that I get the same vibe from Luke Edwards and his attitude that I got from all those people I encountered during my career. It’s not about the truth and football, it’s about not upsetting your friend who has given you so many interviews in the past and who you have a good relationship with. It’s not about empathy towards an ailing fanbase who have been scrutinised for daring to dream, it’s about Luke Edwards being upset on a weekend off because people call him out on his bullshit (btw one of the first lessons I learned was that no-one wants to hear about you as a writer, there’s only a few times you should writing ‘I’ or ‘Me’ frequently in your piece unless you’re an ego-driven maniac) This is why papers like The Telegraph rely on baiting people into their paywall and why all these newspapers are going out of business while The Athletic gets loads of new subscribers daily because they devote themselves to well-researched quality instead of ‘let’s ignore the facts and force this agenda because we have a good relationship with the people involved’. Once you see behind the glass and realise that journalism is an old boys club full of people stroking their own ego of self-importance instead of adapting to the demands of the new generation of readers, this shit is barely worth reading. Imagine developing a nuanced understanding and love of football, going through years of training and experiences only to sacrifice all of that just so to die on ‘Steve Bruce is a good manager’ hill because he’s a nice bloke when you interview him. Could never be me. Thankfully.

That's excellent!  :clap:

This could of course be the Chronicle's reporting but so many inconsistencies/inaccuracies in such a short sentance

"Jonjo has trained, Manquillo is back and all of a sudden we have 20 or so outfield players out there. You can only pick 11 and the other 10 will be disappointed. Most of the players understand that without a squad you won't survive. I expect half-a-dozen players won't be happy."

I'm craving losses so bad at this point :lol:

This guy has to go man. Don't care who comes next for now either. We can start hounding out that chump when he gets here.

Why? He is exactly what the match going fans deserves, and exactly what we need to turn the club into something that doesn't finance itself while providing global exposure for SD. I hope Bruce stays as long as possible.

Guest neesy111

I'm craving losses so bad at this point :lol:

This guy has to go man. Don't care who comes next for now either. We can start hounding out that chump when he gets here.

Why? He is exactly what the match going fans deserves, and exactly what we need to turn the club into something that doesn't finance itself while providing global exposure for SD. I hope Bruce stays as long as possible.

If bruce stays, we will be midtable championship in 2-3 years time.

I honestly can't believe how much of a free ride this utter clown gets off the press and then I remember that he is a PFM who gives his media pals loads of quotes and is apparently a canny bloke.

Utterly hideous manager and to think we let Rafa walkaway and paid £4 million for him beggars belief.