James Milner

Alberto2005

Graffted his bollocks off but he needs to work hard on putting in better quality crosses!!

Isnt that what he is there for? Thought he was aqequate at best yesterday. Seems one or two are happy with the odd pretty stepover and a cross that ends up in the keepers hands. Missed a sitter aswell.

If HTT cant see why pace is invaluable then he needs to start watching another sport. Is it the be all and end all? Probably not. Is it handy? Very. Seriously. Senseless argument.

The kid is decent enough as a squad player. One decent game and one average game and the knee-jerkers are out.

Massively overrated.

Erm, by who exactly?

Erm, by the people in this thread.

Newcastle Fan and Kev?

You could bother to: A) read my second sentence. B) Talk about the issue at hand. Instead of annoying me. I was referring to, in my first sentence of the post, to some people on this forum who actually believe he's our creative answer.

Good luck finding them people, Dj_NUFC. :thup:

I think he's a very good squad player who can be excellent on his day. (That's in answer to the 'how important do you think he is' question). I think he's very important really. In the long-term, i'm not entirely sure if he is the prize of our quest for a quality winger (we haven't had one since 03/04) - and he maybe shouldn't be guaranteed a place even at the moment - but the fact that a player of his quality is waiting in the wings is very important to the squad.

I really like him.

Our best player last season. Another fantastic game yesterday.

I've always rated him and yesterday just goes to show why. The lad is a credit to our club and i love having him here. He's honest as the day is long, very hardworking, arguably our most creative player, two footed, skillfull, clever and whilst not as quick as Dyer or Lennon not as slow as people make out. His crossing is good in the main, not 100% perfect everytime. 

I've always rated him and yesterday just goes to show why. The lad is a credit to our club and i love having him here. He's honest as the day is long, very hardworking, arguably our most creative player, two footed, skillfull, clever and whilst not as quick as Dyer or Lennon not as slow as people make out. His crossing is good in the main, not 100% perfect everytime. 

In the main? Its shit, man. Look at Petrovs cross today. That is good crossing, not the crap we have to put up with.

Guest Knightrider

If HTT cant see why pace is invaluable then he needs to start watching another sport. Is it the be all and end all? Probably not. Is it handy? Very. Seriously. Senseless argument.

I recognise pace is important though Pie, I just don't regard it as very important so long as a player has other tools at his disposal which Milner obviously does, and despite his lack of pace he's not doing too bad. My argument isn't with you or the debate about Milner being good enough or not anyway, but with the mentality within the game that pace is a must have and the effects that's having on youth football, or rather the detrimental effect it's having.

Agree with that.  I'll take 100% effort every game over reputation.  Yes, his crossing needs work, but I haven't seen anyone else whipping in anything decent either.

Agree with that.  I'll take 100% effort every game over reputation.  Yes, his crossing needs work, but I haven't seen anyone else whipping in anything decent either.

Zog can whip a decent one in if played in position.

ive always said hes a top class player and should be part of englands squad within the next year

i disagree with jamie, just because he was outstanding people now want him to stay on the left? hes right footed and cant play left wing week in week out!

also yesterday n'zogbia was outstanding pushing forward and thats why he should be at left wing with milner on the right, geremi dropped and emre in the middle with either butt or barton

[/qAlthough hes performing well on the left,wouldnt it be nice if we had 2 players,one on the left and right,which would give us better width and Milner is are only natural right winger.Even when Duffs back,we could play Zog at left back as hes performing well there but would prefer to give Enrique another chance at left back and push Zog forward.

I would agree as well with dropping Geremi and Butt,play Emre and Barton in the middle when we are playing at home anyways.

I recognise pace is important though Pie, I just don't regard it as very important so long as a player has other tools at his disposal which Milner obviously does, and despite his lack of pace he's not doing too bad. My argument isn't with you or the debate about Milner being good enough or not anyway, but with the mentality within the game that pace is a must have and the effects that's having on youth football, or rather the detrimental effect it's having.

He doesn't though. That is the point. Solano clearly did. Milner clearly doesn't. If he did have then there wouldn't be a debate. Pace has always been useful by the way. Its not a new thing. JET Milburn springs to mind.

If pace wasnt necessary then ask Bobby Robson why he always bought it/used it. From Alan Brazil to Gary Lineker (yes he was lightning in his prime) to Ronaldo to Craig Bellamy. Same applies to Alex Ferguson and Wenger. Would you say they were successful managers?

Of course other things are useful. However, it is daft to suggest it is a new phenomenon. The game is more physical and way faster. Without pace, people struggle nowadays. Particularly in the Prem.

However, its nothing new. Ask Kevin Keegan why he retired.

Played really well recently, i prefer him on the left, like the way he can beat a man without pace, and actually does try to beat a man, looks very dangerous when he on the edge of the box but completely flacid when he's a abit further out, the lack of pace really shows when he's too far out. Is currently our best player and is playing the best but by by no means does he have the ability or talent to be the best player in our team, theres a lot fo misfiring talented players in our squad. Deserves the credit he's gettin but i dont think he's a player we can build on.

He doesn't though. That is the point. Solano clearly did. Milner clearly doesn't. If he did have then there wouldn't be a debate. Pace has always been useful by the way. Its not a new thing. JET Milburn springs to mind.

If pace wasnt necessary then ask Bobby Robson why he always bought it/used it. From Alan Brazil to Gary Lineker (yes he was lightning in his prime) to Ronaldo to Craig Bellamy. Same applies to Alex Ferguson and Wenger. Would you say they were successful managers?

Of course other things are useful. However, it is daft to suggest it is a new phenomenon. The game is more physical and way faster. Without pace, people struggle nowadays. Particularly in the Prem.

Didn't Sir Bob buy Milner ??  :coolsmiley:

Look i know you don't like Milner whilst i really rate the lad. I can't see your point of view at all really. Milner is a credit to our club and is a good talent as is Zoggy and Taylor imo. I don't think i'll be able to change your mind so i'm not going to bother.

He was the best player on the park yesterday. He needs to start turning these performances in a lot more frequently though, inconsistency seems to be his main problem.

Inconsistency? He is anything but that. One decent game amongst a plethora of shite ones suggests you are wrong. Best player on the park was Beye by the way. Again, I think people get fooled by a lovely stepover followed by an utterly shit cross. The sitter he missed was indicative of his play. Fuck knows how he managed that the biff. Don't get me wrong, he wasnt bad but some of the stuff here is mind blowingly over the top. Its a good job the bairns here didnt see Chrissy Waddle against Man City in 1983. There would be teen jizz all over monitors on Tyneside. That was a proper display from a true winger with ability (and anyone who reckons Waddler lacked pace clearly never saw him!  :razz:)

Didn't Sir Bob buy Milner ??  :coolsmiley:

Look i know you don't like Milner whilst i really rate the lad. I can't see your point of view at all really. Milner is a credit to our club and is a good talent as is Zoggy and Taylor imo. I don't think i'll be able to change your mind so i'm not going to bother.

You are quite right.

Apart from people who are a credit to the club are those who do well for it by making a significant difference. Therein lies the rub.

Freddie Shepherd bought him by the way. SBR signed Fumaca, he wasnt infallible!  :razz:

He'll always be a decent player. He likes to attack fullbacks but he lacks the pace to really terrorize them. He doesn't look up and place his crosses, he just runs and swings his foot in hope. He doesn't have Solano's eye for a pass/cross nor the technical ability to pull it off.

I hope in time we could sign someone better.

He was the best player on the park yesterday. He needs to start turning these performances in a lot more frequently though, inconsistency seems to be his main problem.

Inconsistency? He is anything but that. One decent game amongst a plethora of s**** ones suggests you are wrong. Best player on the park was Beye by the way. Again, I think people get fooled by a lovely stepover followed by an utterly s*** cross. The sitter he missed was indicative of his play. f*** knows how he managed that the biff. Don't get me wrong, he wasnt bad but some of the stuff here is mind blowingly over the top. Its a good job the bairns here didnt see Chrissy Waddle against Man City in 1983. There would be teen jizz all over monitors on Tyneside. That was a proper display from a true winger with ability (and anyone who reckons Waddler lacked pace clearly never saw him!  :razz:)

This is the forum where members think Eboue isn't that fast.