Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Guest Howaythetoon

Can't believe people are ignoring Scholes.

Usually he'd be in there, but I cannot look beyond Lampard who isn't as good a footballer as Scholes was but that goal scoring ability, big game mentality, consistency etc. for me makes him stand out above then,idea of Scholes and Gerrard.

Guest firetotheworks

I couldn't argue with Bergkamp or Lampard being in anyone's like. Both ridiculous players in their own ways. The thing for me with Cantona is that he wasn't just a brilliant player but he was inspirational and along with Schmeichel, carried Man United to the title. I doubt I'll ever truly understand Keane being in people's teams tbh, he was an outstanding leader and inspirational, but as a footballer I never rated him that highly at all. I'd have Scholes, Vieira, Lampard, and Gerrard all ahead of him.

Usually he'd be in there, but I cannot look beyond Lampard who isn't as good a footballer as Scholes was but that goal scoring ability, big game mentality, consistency etc. for me makes him stand out above then,idea of Scholes and Gerrard.

Not in the same class as Scholes though it's not as if Scholes hardly scored either and his all round game totally overwhelm Lampards. Scholes is easily the best Premiership midfielder.

I couldn't argue with Bergkamp or Lampard being in anyone's like. Both ridiculous players in their own ways. The thing for me with Cantona is that he wasn't just a brilliant player but he was inspirational and along with Schmeichel, carried Man United to the title. I doubt I'll ever truly understand Keane being in people's teams tbh, he was an outstanding leader and inspirational, but as a footballer I never rated him that highly at all. I'd have Scholes, Vieira, Lampard, and Gerrard all ahead of him.

I certainly cannot understand those that have selected both Vieira and Keane. Keane was a very good player just in my opinion not as good as Vieira. But you'd only need one of them whoever you prefer.

Guest firetotheworks

I certainly cannot understand those that have selected both Vieira and Keane. Keane was a very good player just in my opinion not as good as Vieira. But you'd only need one of them whoever you prefer.

:thup: to all of that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not in the same class as Scholes though it's not as if Scholes hardly scored either and his all round game totally overwhelm Lampards. Scholes is easily the best Premiership midfielder.

As a footballer no, but Lampard was far more consistent as a goalscoring midfielder and technically very underrated, he is for example a level above Gerrard for me. Scholes for a period was arguably the best player England have produced since Gazza, but as he hit his late 20s he become less of a player for me, where as Lampard has always been a big player - even now he is guaranteed to get a goal or so given half the chance.

RE Keane, he was another underrated footballer, but he was also kind of limited regarding his all-round game, he is nowhere near the very best in that CM area in the history of the PL. I'd put Essien ahead of him individually, Makalele too. As a footballer he's not that far ahead of someone like Batty or Ince, but he played in consistent winning side that was very high profile which for me elevated his greatness somewhat. Great player of course, but not as great as Vieira or Makalele.

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw Ronaldo wide right wouldn't get a look in, when he moved more central yes, but even then not enough to displace Shearer and Henry. He's in my all-time XI because of who he is, if anything it should be Beckham in there or Robben perhaps...

Beckham on his best day didn't come close to how good Ronaldo was for the majority of his time at Man U.

As for Lampard's inclusion, I think people are forgetting just how great he was from around 2004 - 2011. He had everything you'd want and more in a CM.

Beckham on his best day didn't come close to how good Ronaldo was for the majority of his time at Man U.

As for Lampard's inclusion, I think people are forgetting just how great he was from around 2004 - 2011. He had everything you'd want and more in a CM.

:thup:

Well no he didn't. He never took games by the scruff of the neck because he wasn't technically good enough to . Didn't possess a killer ball or a trick. What he had was a decent engine and an amazing knack of knowing where the net was plus a sixth sense of being in the right place at the right time .

The not controlling games bit like Scholes, Gascoigne and even Gerrard could is why I don't place Lampard in the upper echelon of Premiership midfielders, though clearly his scoring record is outstanding as is his professionalism

I don't agree. His passing over short and long range was (and to some extent still is) outstanding. Thing is with Lampard, at Chelsea he was always the most important player, but he was still ultimately a cog in a world class machine of players. He rarely had to 'take games by the scruff of the neck'.

I don't agree. His passing over short and long range was (and to some extent still is) outstanding. Thing is with Lampard, at Chelsea he was always the most important player, but he was still ultimately a cog in a world class machine of players. He rarely had to 'take games by the scruff of the neck'.

That would wash except for the elephant in the room that he never took games by the scruff of the neck for England either. His short passing is as any Premiership midfielders short passing is. My opinion is were it not for his  goalscoring ability, Frank Lampard would be a nondescript, run of the mill player.

Guest Howaythetoon

Come off it, Beckham was a very good player for Man Utd, easily one of the best right sided players in the League of all time. Obviously not to the level of Ronaldo overall, but to say at his best he didn't come close is daft. Beckham was a constant supplier of goals and a real thrwt, plus his work rate and high standards helped to make that midfield four at Man Utd one of if not the best we've seen in the PL. He was immense at times.

Guest Howaythetoon

That would wash except for the elephant in the room that he never took games by the scruff of the neck for England either. His short passing is as any Premiership midfielders short passing is. My opinion is were it not for his  goalscoring ability, Frank Lampard would be a nondescript, run of the mill player.

f*** off :lol:

As for not grabbing games by the scruff of the neck, it can be argued by scoring game clinching goals that is indeed grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck and Lampard was great at that. Technically Lampard is or was very good, he was two footed and had a good range of passing short or long. Above all else he was an economically intelligent player, rarely wasted a pass, rarely shot if nowt was on, and never once passed up the opportunity to take it upon himself to get a shot away if and when he could, a rare commodity in a midfielder. He has been a sublime player, easily one of the best ever in this league and arguably the Alan Shearer of midfield - a colosus.

Lampard is a fantastic player, as a player he hardly makes hte hairs on the back of my head stand up, to me he is slightly tainted (not his fault though) by the screaming blithering premier league brand of 'best football in the world' and by being hyped as being a player who is both english and good. His failures at England again stand against him, but also some extent not quite his fault. The reason he didn't take games by teh scruff of the neck is cos we don't make midfielders that way.

My preference is for midfielders like Viera, Scholes, Fabergas etc etc but tbh when you look at what he has achieved it is hard to argue Lampard hasn't been a fantastic player and deserves a lot of respect.

Schmeichel

Neville  Adams  Terry  Cole

Viera  Scholes

Ronaldo  Bergkamp  Henry

Shearer

Maybe swap Bergkamp for Suarez, but Suarez is a cunt and Dennis is (apparently) a lovely bloke. :aww:

Lampard is twice the player Fabregas is, Silva and Mata are better players than Fabregas man!

Are you watching the same Fabregas? He's brilliant. If he stays in England now for another few years he'll end up going into a lot of peoples all time PL teams IMO. He'll absolutely smash the assists record too.

Lampard is twice the player Fabregas is, Silva and Mata are better players than Fabregas man!

Not sure about that. Don't think Mata is better than him anyway. I prefer Silva to Fabregas alright but its not clear cut