Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think the Ritchie interview where he basically said Shelvey is half arsed about football, not fully committed and tosses it off to play golf say everything tbh.

Mistake giving him a new contract.

I don't rate him and can see why Rafa used him less and less during his reign.

He'd be one of the first I'd ship.

Guest neesy111

Still can't believe we gave him and Ritchie new contracts ffs.

it's extremely believable when you consider (a) the ownership and (b) the manager like :lol:

inevitable rather than believable

That's true.

Still can't believe we gave him and Ritchie new contracts ffs.

We gave them because the current coaching team probably think they are decent players if you want to just about avoid relegation. They are shit most of the season, but they will provide the odd spark of quality which might nick us a win here or there. Perfect for a Bruce set up really.

The good news is that once the Saudis get in, we'll happily bin off wankers on long contracts if only to make room for better players. That's the plus side of having wealthy owners.

• 2 weeks later...

He’s actually at his level right now. Hopefully not for much longer.

Tbf he knows that. Players like him and Ritchie need us to be shite so they can continue to play for a 'big team'. If we get taken over, with a more ambitious manager, they will be peddled to some other team struggling for survival.

Guest Carrick18

I can understand extending Ritchie's deal, he's a good leader around the dressing room. Giving Shelvey three-years, essentially rewarding what has been a wildly inconsistent few years, is beyond stupid.

I won't lie, I do love the type of player Shelvey is. I'm a sucker for a slower passing midfielder like Ever Banega, but he's nowhere near that level. It's a shame because I don't doubt he could have been, but the days of potential are long gone. He's the first one I'd want out.

Guest Butcher

Think he’ll do well with Mbappe and Kane in front of him next season.

Easily our best midfielder this season, from the little I’ve seen and that’s a bit of a disgrace.

• 1 month later...

Really good today, even without the goal considered.

Agreed for the most part, although I think he could be more influential. We are a much better team when he decides to play further forward with some positivity.