Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

In fairness to PD, I think he's one of those players that managers like for his general reliability. Though he won't pull up any trees, he'll not massively let you down very often.

He's a bit of an Aaron Hughes for me.

I don't mind him in a back three and think he's the kind of guy that SBR would've played every week tbh. Same with Rafa who seemed quite happy to give him a regular role.

SBR would have had a far more attacking midfield and forward line so he could afford to have a purely defensive full back. Rafa would have been looking to upgrade him I am pretty sure. Despite surviving a couple of seasons in the Premier, our football wasn't great down the flanks, to progress we would have needed full backs who could bring the ball out.  Like with Schar and Lejeune, I reckon bringing in better full backs was on his list of improvements this season.

SBR had Bernard who was a far better option than Dummett.

He also played Andy O’Brien who really wasn’t as good as PD.

He didn't really have much choice, Shepherd's buying policy was to splash big money on showstopper signings in a few key areas, then use what was left of the budget on cheaper options elsewhere. Inevitably that often ended up being at the back. I can remember the complaint often being that we would be better off without the Hollywood signings and spreading the cost around the squad to give us better quality all round.

Tbf we are still spending the 8m, 6m, 11m on defenders now as we did with Wooodgate, Boumsong and Bramble.

Yes, and now we aren't buying the top strikers either. We've downgraded in all departments.

He's retiring again from international football and Giggs just doesn't give a fuck about it  :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49424342

Paul Dummett's Wales career appears to be over after the Newcastle defender made himself unavailable for next month's Euro 2020 qualifier against Azerbaijan.

Dummett, 27, has won five caps for Wales since making his debut in 2014.

But his commitment had been in doubt having already ruled himself out of international contention once in 2017.

Asked if this signalled the end of Dummett as a Wales player, manager Ryan Giggs said: "I think that will be it."

Giggs added: "He just wants to concentrate on club football. I've got to respect that and I have players in that position who are playing so I'm not fussed about that."

Dummett, who can play at left-back or centre-back, started for Wales in their friendly win over Trinidad and Tobago in March.

But his has been a stop-start international career, and Giggs is planning for life without the Newcastle player.

"He felt that he's had a lot of hamstring problems earlier this season and he wanted to make sure he is fit for Newcastle," the Wales boss added.

"I've got centre-halves who are playing. I was considering him for that centre-half position but it's not a problem.

"Obviously he is playing in the Premier League, he's a good defender but I've got options."

That sort of game is his bread & butter. Nothing expected of him but to dig deep and defend. He did that great yesterday.

Now let’s see him contribute in a game we’ll be looking to win against Watford when we shouldn’t be deep in our half as a team for 90% of the match.

Considering he played at the top for two decades, only 60 plus caps is barmy. Could argue that that’s the reason he went on for so long like.

Was always mysteriously injured or ill for Wales on a Tuesday but fully fit to play 90 mins on Saturday. Fergie will have had a lot to do with it IMO.

That sort of game is his bread & butter. Nothing expected of him but to dig deep and defend. He did that great yesterday.

Now let’s see him contribute in a game we’ll be looking to win against Watford when we shouldn’t be deep in our half as a team for 90% of the match.

Yeah, because getting trapped inside your own half against the likes of Kane, Moura, Son etc is an easy thing.

Yeah, because getting trapped inside your own half against the likes of Kane, Moura, Son etc is an easy thing.

Not sure of your point here, the first part wasn't a criticism of Dummett or the tactics.

And the second part? The potential outcome of the Watford game has nothing to do with the Spurs performance. I'm not sure why you had to link the two together and in the process undermine Dummett's performance yesterday. 

And the second part? The potential outcome of the Watford game has nothing to do with the Spurs performance. I'm not sure why you had to link the two together and in the process undermine Dummett's performance yesterday. 

I was saying the reason he was good is because those sorts of games are made for him. Top 6 clubs where literally all he has to do is defend he can cope.

If Lejeune was suddenly 100% fit tomorrow and available for Watford, I’d drop him because he has to do more.