Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

The pass was short insomuch as it did require Willems to come and meet it. But it wasn't a 50-50. It was a 99-1. A schoolboy would've taken two steps forward and met the ball.

It was Willems' fault.

It only required Willems to get it because it wasn’t the training pitch, it was an actual game with a quick opponent creating that 1% chance solely because Willems was off with the fairies.

Willems’ shiteness made a perfectly suitable pass look risky.

Maybe I'm biased as I used to play as winger/full back when I was younger, but there's nothing more frustrating as a winger than stretching play as you should and hugging the touchline and then a pass being played way too short. 

Yes, in an ideal world you anticipate the issue and react, but you've essentially set yourself to receive the ball with a view to opening your body up and going down the touchline.  It seems simple, but if you've positioned yourself that way you aren't going to react immediately to set off in the opposite direction to approach a pass that is going to be intercepted.  Especially at Premier League level where you have a reasonable expectation that the player making the pass is capable of getting it to you without you having to move towards the ball to win it.

That moment, I’d put 80% blame on Willems for the reaction, 20% for the poor pass from Dummett.

The sad thing is though, Dummett’s distribution has been like this for 5 years with no improvements, but because he’s ‘solid’ seems to get a pass. This is Willems first action as a Newcastle player and already he’s got supporters not convinced by him and he’s up against it from day one. We’ll have another 3-4 years of Dummett getting away with shite like this though.

In fairness to PD, I think he's one of those players that managers like for his general reliability. Though he won't pull up any trees, he'll not massively let you down very often.

He's a bit of an Aaron Hughes for me.

I don't mind him in a back three and think he's the kind of guy that SBR would've played every week tbh. Same with Rafa who seemed quite happy to give him a regular role.

In fairness to PD, I think he's one of those players that managers like for his general reliability. Though he won't pull up any trees, he'll not massively let you down very often.

I don't mind him in a back three and think he's the kind of guy that SBR would've played every week tbh. Same with Rafa who seemed quite happy to give him a regular role.

SBR would have had a far more attacking midfield and forward line so he could afford to have a purely defensive full back. Rafa would have been looking to upgrade him I am pretty sure. Despite surviving a couple of seasons in the Premier, our football wasn't great down the flanks, to progress we would have needed full backs who could bring the ball out.  Like with Schar and Lejeune, I reckon bringing in better full backs was on his list of improvements this season.

Guest godzilla

SBR would have had a far more attacking midfield and forward line so he could afford to have a purely defensive full back. Rafa would have been looking to upgrade him I am pretty sure. Despite surviving a couple of seasons in the Premier, our football wasn't great down the flanks, to progress we would have needed full backs who could bring the ball out.  Like with Schar and Lejeune, I reckon bringing in better full backs was on his list of improvements this season.

SBR had Bernard who was a far better option than Dummett.

He also played Andy O’Brien who really wasn’t as good as PD.

Guest godzilla

He also played Andy O’Brien who really wasn’t as good as PD.

Maybe (not much in it tbf though as both ok at best), but his main position is left back and not centre half and that's why I matched him against Bernard.

Dummett's about 8/10 without the ball and about 2/10 with the ball. 

In this age where everyone's a good footballer regardless of position it's not really good enough to get away with.

So he's a 10/10 in total?

Think Aaron Hughes was comfortably better than Dummett.

I feel, Hughesy, that your opinion might be a little biased :laugh:

Doesn’t make him wrong though. I like Dummett more than most, but Aaron Hughes was a superior centre half and fullback.

Think Aaron Hughes was comfortably better than Dummett.

I feel, Hughesy, that your opinion might be a little biased :laugh:

:frantic: can't believe someone has seen through my cunning disguise.

Plot twist: He's actually Andy Griffin.

He’s more like Peter Griffin