Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

too late to start a fantasy for money then?

I have no interest in FF usually and can never be bothered to carry on with it after I start, but the last 2 I've done were for money and were decent 'cause I won

Edmundo man, what a player he was, wasn’t he called the animal or something?

Is your country starting to really get hyped for the WC Fedyan and do you think there will be any problems of a hooliganism nature? I hope not.

Hopefully it will be an exhibition of football where the top players shine, new prospects emerge and there will be goals and incidents aplenty.

There is ton of enthusiasm and a never-ending stream of verbal sh!t directed at our national team. All at the same time :lol:

No, people are genuinely excited. Of course, a lot of questions about the costs and what made some believe that serious football clubs will occupy the stadium once the tournament is over. Kinda like in Brazil where a few stadium were built in the relative football wilderness. And who in the world would ever go to Saransk on vacation. Even people from Saransk don't argue with that. But, I am not rational enough to listen to people who still think that hosting Olympics, World a Cups and such is a bad idea. Call me a cynic, but the politicians and those who really matter in the business world will always find new and fun ways to get something dodgy done. And by that I mean - pretty much anywhere. I would much rather see some of the cities whose leaders would otherwise do very little or nothing at all, but serve their own economical interests, get refurbished and have infrastructural improvements this way. The kids who applied for volunteer positions (turns out there were far more applicants than FIFA and RSF ever had openings) can not wait, and don't even get me started on those in bar/restaraunt/nightclub business. I mean, it's the freaking World Cup.

As for the hooligan thing. As a serious fan, I plan my away trips months in advance and of course (as any honest away going fan will admit) you kind of bump into or just know someone in the know. Or know someone who knows someone in the know, if you get what I mean. The majority will leave Moscow and St Petersburg all together for the duration of the tournament. Those who were unable to get their vacation sorted will stay away at home or watch the games in a bar. Too many serious warnings from the police, a whole bunch of black lists, anyone with a single administrative fine for anything (like urinating on a fence; swearing at a police officer; wearing a Buzzcocks shirt; getting drunk in a public place, let alone rowdy behavior) near a football match during the last 15 years has been marked. I kid you not. But, you have to understand that this is mostly about Moscow and St Petersburg. People in, say, Kazan or Sochi wouldn't even understand what you're on about because the fan culture there is just a laid back one. You know, friends and families, older blokes who have been going for years having beer-influenced discussions on tactics,etc. Don't let some idiotic stickers in pub restrooms fool you.

I personally know a guy in his late 40s, who told me a story while we were waiting for our season tickets a year ago. He wanted to attend one of the Confederation Cup matches with his kids, bought the tickets, got the Fan ID done. And was just about to enter the stadium, when a steward checked his ID and requested a police officer to show up. The man in question was very politely asked if he has ever been to Volgograd in the summer of 1998. He said yes. He was then informed that since he is on file as having been fined for a drunk scuffle near the train station there on a day of Rotor Volgograd - Dynamo Moscow match wearing team colors, his name in marked in a football hooligan database and it is recommended that he leaves the premises immediately and will not be granted entry. And the said scuffle was actually among people who had a few too many beers and started (rather loudly and in industrial terms and expressions) discussing why our national team missed the World Cup that year. The guy is not a violent type at all, brags about having just one speeding ticket all his life, one of those Internet dudes. Never went away for over ten years. Is in no way involved with any our (admittedly) violent ultras groups. Yet, he will not be able to attend because of one incident 20 years ago. Some might consider this to be a bit extreme, but I am sure if you actually socialize with people on a consistent basis, you certainly know someone who may had a drunken fight in a pub, argued publicly about a girl, etc. To the best of my knowledge, this is also how the Britich police tackled hooliganism after Taylor report. Being unforgiving and ruthless. Even if a bit extreme sometimes.

Just this past spring, as I was enjoying a fantastic 1-1 bore draw (with -15 degrees Celcius outside, this being early March) away in lovely Ufa (another great city which would have been a fantastic host, far better than Saransk) and pondering my perhaps too enthusiastic night out before with some of the friendliest strippers I have ever met, I overheard a conversation of a few "proper hard lads" in our section who were discussing how they plan to take their lasses to Cyprus for the tournament because the OB "won't let you take a wank" (almost a literal translation) if you're anywhere near the stadium on matchday. I remember this not due to a rather strong hangover mixed with a feeling of slight guilt (man, those strippers know how to make you unusually generous) anyone over the age of 30 expreriences when you spend more than you originally planned, but due to the fact that I almost pissed myself laughing upon hearing all of this and was given a few "proper hard lad" looks as a result. They're like Bieber fans, only more violent and take this whole "game" thing far too seriously.

Now, I can't remember a single WC or Euro that went completely incident-free. Someday someone will have a drunken brawl. Somebody might get mugged. Some taxi driver will try to cheat. Someone will complain about crappy hookah in a strip bar (a global trend, by the looks of it). Somebody will whine about stewards or police allegedly or very likely not being competent enough. These things always happen, unfortunately. Large groups of very diverse people on vacation. What do we expect? 99 percent will come to have fun and socialize, 1 percent will always find an adventurous avenue for their arse, as we say.

But, there is always a but :lol: Personally, I am more concerned about (metaphorically speaking) chavs meeting chavs. Say, a chav from some Ruhr Valley outpost wanders in a working class residential area in suburban Samara and says something a local chav won't understand. Say, it's late night and they both had a few shots of some brain stopping juice. Say, they could either sing songs and communicate, or start a fight. Guess, what (and how) will be reported in the West if the German chav ends up defeated and injured? I hope, you understand what I mean. I've been to plenty of genuine working class (and downright poor) neighborhoods in quite a few countries, and in no way do I suggest that trouble is around the corner if you wander off a tourist route or end up somewhere far away from a city center. I mean, judging by what you guys write about Sunderland and Boro, a person without any sense would be sh!tscared of coming over to England :lol: So, in a nutshell, I think that any negative incidents will be about some drunken behavior, which will undoubtedly happen purely down to the amount of people involved. And will absolutely be front page "LOOK AT THOSE SICK ANIMALS" material, of that I have no doubt. As is the case with any trip abroad, common sense and logic usually spares a traveler of any trouble. Hopefully, I made myself clear and didn't offend any chavs. Have nothing against them, obviously :lol:

As for the long posts - I apologize if it is of any inconvenience. But it's an age old habit of me, not gonna change :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Is your country starting to really get hyped for the WC Fedyan and do you think there will be any problems of a hooliganism nature? I hope not.

Hopefully it will be an exhibition of football where the top players shine, new prospects emerge and there will be goals and incidents aplenty.

There is ton of enthusiasm and a never-ending stream of verbal sh!t directed at our national team. All at the same time :lol:

No, people are genuinely excited. Of course, a lot of questions about the costs and what made some believe that serious football clubs will occupy the stadium once the tournament is over. Kinda like in Brazil where a few stadium were built in the relative football wilderness. And who in the world would ever go to Saransk on vacation. Even people from Saransk don't argue with that. But, I am not rational enough to listen to people who still think that hosting Olympics, World a Cups and such is a bad idea. Call me a cynic, but the politicians and those who really matter in the business world will always find new and fun ways to get something dodgy done. And by that I mean - pretty much anywhere. I would much rather see some of the cities whose leaders would otherwise do very little or nothing at all, but serve their own economical interests, get refurbished and have infrastructural improvements this way. The kids who applied for volunteer positions (turns out there were far more applicants than FIFA and RSF ever had openings) can not wait, and don't even get me started on those in bar/restaraunt/nightclub business. I mean, it's the freaking World Cup.

As for the hooligan thing. As a serious fan, I plan my away trips months in advance and of course (as any honest away going fan will admit) you kind of bump into or just know someone in the know. Or know someone who knows someone in the know, if you get what I mean. The majority will leave Moscow and St Petersburg all together for the duration of the tournament. Those who were unable to get their vacation sorted will stay away at home or watch the games in a bar. Too many serious warnings from the police, a whole bunch of black lists, anyone with a single administrative fine for anything (like urinating on a fence; swearing at a police officer; wearing a Buzzcocks shirt; getting drunk in a public place, let alone rowdy behavior) near a football match during the last 15 years has been marked. I kid you not. But, you have to understand that this is mostly about Moscow and St Petersburg. People in, say, Kazan or Sochi wouldn't even understand what you're on about because the fan culture there is just a laid back one. You know, friends and families, older blokes who have been going for years having beer-influenced discussions on tactics,etc. Don't let some idiotic stickers in pub restrooms fool you.

I personally know a guy in his late 40s, who told me a story while we were waiting for our season tickets a year ago. He wanted to attend one of the Confederation Cup matches with his kids, bought the tickets, got the Fan ID done. And was just about to enter the stadium, when a steward checked his ID and requested a police officer to show up. The man in question was very politely asked if he has ever been to Volgograd in the summer of 1998. He said yes. He was then informed that since he is on file as having been fined for a drunk scuffle near the train station there on a day of Rotor Volgograd - Dynamo Moscow match wearing team colors, his name in marked in a football hooligan database and it is recommended that he leaves the premises immediately and will not be granted entry. And the said scuffle was actually among people who had a few too many beers and started (rather loudly and in industrial terms and expressions) discussing why our national team missed the World Cup that year. The guy is not a violent type at all, brags about having just one speeding ticket all his life, one of those Internet dudes. Never went away for over ten years. Is in no way involved with any our (admittedly) violent ultras groups. Yet, he will not be able to attend because of one incident 20 years ago. Some might consider this to be a bit extreme, but I am sure if you actually socialize with people on a consistent basis, you certainly know someone who may had a drunken fight in a pub, argued publicly about a girl, etc. To the best of my knowledge, this is also how the Britich police tackled hooliganism after Taylor report. Being unforgiving and ruthless. Even if a bit extreme sometimes.

Just this past spring, as I was enjoying a fantastic 1-1 bore draw (with -15 degrees Celcius outside, this being early March) away in lovely Ufa (another great city which would have been a fantastic host, far better than Saransk) and pondering my perhaps too enthusiastic night out before with some of the friendliest strippers I have ever met, I overheard a conversation of a few "proper hard lads" in our section who were discussing how they plan to take their lasses to Cyprus for the tournament because the OB "won't let you take a wank" (almost a literal translation) if you're anywhere near the stadium on matchday. I remember this not due to a rather strong hangover mixed with a feeling of slight guilt (man, those strippers know how to make you unusually generous) anyone over the age of 30 expreriences when you spend more than you originally planned, but due to the fact that I almost pissed myself laughing upon hearing all of this and was given a few "proper hard lad" looks as a result. They're like Bieber fans, only more violent and take this whole "game" thing far too seriously.

Now, I can't remember a single WC or Euro that went completely incident-free. Someday someone will have a drunken brawl. Somebody might get mugged. Some taxi driver will try to cheat. Someone will complain about crappy hookah in a strip bar (a global trend, by the looks of it). Somebody will whine about stewards or police allegedly or very likely not being competent enough. These things always happen, unfortunately. Large groups of very diverse people on vacation. What do we expect? 99 percent will come to have fun and socialize, 1 percent will always find an adventurous avenue for their arse, as we say.

But, there is always a but :lol: Personally, I am more concerned about (metaphorically speaking) chavs meeting chavs. Say, a chav from some Ruhr Valley outpost wanders in a working class residential area in suburban Samara and says something a local chav won't understand. Say, it's late night and they both had a few shots of some brain stopping juice. Say, they could either sing songs and communicate, or start a fight. Guess, what (and how) will be reported in the West if the German chav ends up defeated and injured? I hope, you understand what I mean. I've been to plenty of genuine working class (and downright poor) neighborhoods in quite a few countries, and in no way do I suggest that trouble is around the corner if you wander off a tourist route or end up somewhere far away from a city center. I mean, judging by what you guys write about Sunderland and Boro, a person without any sense would be sh!tscared of coming over to England :lol: So, in a nutshell, I think that any negative incidents will be about some drunken behavior, which will undoubtedly happen purely down to the amount of people involved. And will absolutely be front page "LOOK AT THOSE SICK ANIMALS" material, of that I have no doubt. As is the case with any trip abroad, common sense and logic usually spares a traveler of any trouble. Hopefully, I made myself clear and didn't offend any chavs. Have nothing against them, obviously :lol:

As for the long posts - I apologize if it is of any inconvenience. But it's an age old habit of me, not gonna change :lol:

tl;dr

Guest Howaythetoon

Only joking btw Fedyan, fascinating read and hopefully it will be a troublefree toyrnament with some cracking games.

I haven’t a clue about your national team, what’s the nation’s feelings about it in terms of how far they can go etc.?

There is ton of enthusiasm and a never-ending stream of verbal sh!t directed at our national team. All at the same time [emoji38]

But, there is always a but [emoji38] Personally, I am more concerned about (metaphorically speaking) chavs meeting chavs. Say, a chav from some Ruhr Valley outpost wanders in a working class residential area in suburban Samara and says something a local chav won't understand. Say, it's late night and they both had a few shots of some brain stopping juice. Say, they could either sing songs and communicate, or start a fight. Guess, what (and how) will be reported in the West if the German chav ends up defeated and injured? I hope, you understand what I mean. I've been to plenty of genuine working class (and downright poor) neighborhoods in quite a few countries, and in no way do I suggest that trouble is around the corner if you wander off a tourist route or end up somewhere far away from a city center. I mean, judging by what you guys write about Sunderland and Boro, a person without any sense would be sh!tscared of coming over to England [emoji38] So, in a nutshell, I think that any negative incidents will be about some drunken behavior, which will undoubtedly happen purely down to the amount of people involved. And will absolutely be front page "LOOK AT THOSE SICK ANIMALS" material, of that I have no doubt. As is the case with any trip abroad, common sense and logic usually spares a traveler of any trouble. Hopefully, I made myself clear and didn't offend any chavs. Have nothing against them, obviously [emoji38]

As for the long posts - I apologize if it is of any inconvenience. But it's an age old habit of me, not gonna change [emoji38]

tl;dr

[emoji38]

World Cup 2026 decision tomorrow, Morocco or USA/Canada/Mexico joint bid

I hope Morocco wins it. Fuck off with yer 3 way world cup.

O0 Especially as Mexico has held it twice since we have had it .

Pretty bummed that America is wasting it's shoe-in bid on a joint-bid that will surely fall flat.

Pretty bummed that America is wasting it's shoe-in bid on a joint-bid that will surely fall flat.

Aye, seems really dumb considering all three could easily host it by themselves

The only reason I hope we’d win it is just to stick it to the English who’ve been gasping to host it again.

Otherwise I hope Morocco wins it. That’d be a class tournament.

:rolleyes:

Yeah stick it to those people who live and breathe the sport and just want to see it hosted in their home country before they die.

Be much better in a country where only weird emo types like the sport just to be alt af.

:rolleyes:

Yeah stick it to those people who live and breathe the sport and just want to see it hosted in their home country before they die.

Be much better in a country where only weird emo types like the sport just to be alt af.

Be in a shittier confederation with fewer capable hosts, brah

It was mostly a reaction to those above hoping we don’t get it. I’ve said before I’m pulling for Morocco. Also as a fuck you to Trump.

Fewer capable hosts in England?

Europe. He means that when the time comes for Europe to get a WC, the competition between nations capable of hosting it is much harder than when they look at North America, where there's essentially just two. Canada couldn't host it alone, I think.

Fewer capable hosts in England?

Europe. He means that when the time comes for Europe to get a WC, the competition between nations capable of hosting it is much harder than when they look at North America, where there's essentially just two. Canada couldn't host it alone, I think.

*stifler klaxon*

They’d have to invest heavily in stadium upgrades.