Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Rafa coming out quoting Confucius whereas Bruce asking 'What the fuck is going on?'.

Has there ever been a better demonstration of what we had to what we now have?

It's like going from a professor of sports studies to some clueless chav with 1 CSE

Er, excuse me, only one of those fellas is a published novelist.

Guest chopey

Edwards has said that Rafa only has eyes on money and couldn't care less about Newcastle and yet he continuously explains his position and wishes us all the best 

Loved Rafa’s eloquent savagery, especially the threat of more to come come - what can Ashley have said that’s worse than the already-public “paint the walls” and “no player didn’t sign because of facilities” quotes?

The statement doesn't really tie in with the rather more optimistic noises that Rafa was making towards the end of last season, and the apparent position of the club of hoping till the last minute that Rafa would sign.

There's a comment about the takeover in there, which indicates to me that Rafa was putting things on hold in case that went ahead and he had the chance to work with a different owner who would loosen the purse strings.

As for being offered a contract on the same money with less control over transfers, I suspect that the situation was that Rafa had the choice between a long contract with more control, or a short-term rolling contract with less control, if he didn't want to commit at that point. The club have made it clear that they don't want to spend large transfer fees for a manager who could quit any moment, and be left with players that the new man didn't want.

This also explains the curious impasse over Joelinton, where Rafa seems to have taken the position that he quite liked the player, but not at that price. The club would only spend that sort of money for a manager with a long-term commitment, but Rafa wanted to see what developed in other areas.

So we had a complete impasse until the club had to take action in order to prepare for the new season.

People can still criticise the club for unnecessary penny-pinching if that's how they see it, but I think Rafa's behaviour was a little more complicated than his statement indicates.

Guest neesy111

The statement doesn't really tie in with the rather more optimistic noises that Rafa was making towards the end of last season, and the apparent position of the club of hoping till the last minute that Rafa would sign.

I'm guessing he should have just announced he was leaving in March then.

Cronky man, that's a helluva lot of speculation in favor of the people who are known to lie and deceive the fans. You can't just make up an imaginary contract offer to argue against what Rafa has said. :lol:

There's a comment about the takeover in there, which indicates to me that Rafa was putting things on hold in case that went ahead and he had the chance to work with a different owner who would loosen the purse strings.

As for being offered a contract on the same money with less control over transfers, I suspect that the situation was that Rafa had the choice between a long contract with more control, or a short-term rolling contract with less control, if he didn't want to commit at that point. The club have made it clear that they don't want to spend large transfer fees for a manager who could quit any moment, and be left with players that the new man didn't want.

This also explains the curious impasse over Joelinton, where Rafa seems to have taken the position that he quite liked the player, but not at that price. The club would only spend that sort of money for a manager with a long-term commitment, but Rafa wanted to see what developed in other areas.

So we had a complete impasse until the club had to take action in order to prepare for the new season.

People can still criticise the club for unnecessary penny-pinching if that's how they see it, but I think Rafa's behaviour was a little more complicated than his statement indicates.

You don't think that was more to do with

MA: we'll give you XXXXX if you sign

RB: OK, sounds good, very promising

MA: well, are you going to sign?

RB: Can I have it in writing?

MA: ...

MA: No

RB: OK well until you actually give me proof you're serious I'm not signing

MA: Bye then OH IT'S BZG'S FAULT THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM, OH HE ONLY WENT FOR MONEY, OH HE PLAYED THE FANS, OH KEITH PLEASE PUT OUT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO CONVINCE THESE STUPID GULLIBLE FUCKERS THAT IT WAS HIS FAULT

I read Rafa’s reference to the 24yo thing as meaning he knew well in advance Mike Ashley would never sign Rondon. Joelinton was what Ashley was spending his £40m on, not Rondon and the change on facilities. At that point, anything the club offered Rafa was “not serious”. Hope of a takeover was his second option (!), or getting another job

Gotta say I found Cronky’s read a bit different than mine, but there are a million reasons both NUFC and Rafa spoke obliquely about the future during the season.

Any luck getting your Mike Ashley Wonderland chant going at the game?

Cronky man, that's a helluva lot of speculation in favor of the people who are known to lie and deceive the fans. You can't just make up an imaginary contract offer to argue against what Rafa has said. :lol:

I didn't make that up myself. In that interview with the Daily Mail, Ashley said that the Rafa camp were asking for a one year extension, but he wanted to sign Rafa long-term. Presumably the one year extension was to give Rafa time to see what was happening with a takeover.

I didn't make that up myself. In that interview with the Daily Mail, Ashley said that the Rafa camp were asking for a one year extension, but he wanted to sign Rafa long-term. Presumably the one year extension was to give Rafa time to see what was happening with a takeover.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You honestly believe - with Mike Ashley's track record of wanting yes-men and stooges who won't question him - that is true. Any of it!?

Oh sweet baby jesus

The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Gutierrez was found to be a "credible and convincing witness".

Managing director Charnley's evidence was described as "evasive and lacking in credibility".

A decade later :

Hey guys' date=' Mike Ashley said Rafa eats babies in an interview, sure glad we got rid of that monster - isn't Mike swell - we should be thankful for everything he has done for us, so much better than those dark days of Keegan and Robson[/quote']

'Ashley said.....'

Seriously...what makes you believe anything he says?

Even if it's true he asked for a 1 year extention, it would tie in with what he's saying about not trusting them.  He wanted to see if they came through on any of their promises this time without being tied down to another long term contract of bullshit.

Howay man.

Oh sweet baby jesus

The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Gutierrez was found to be a "credible and convincing witness".

Managing director Charnley's evidence was described as "evasive and lacking in credibility".

A decade later :

Hey guys' date=' Mike Ashley said Rafa eats babies in an interview, sure glad we got rid of that monster - isn't Mike swell - we should be thankful for everything he has done for us, so much better than those dark days of Keegan and Robson[/quote']

This tribunal statement over the issue of whether Keegan had control of transfers does tend to get trotted out whenever it's convenient to disbelieve absolutely anything that Ashley says. You have to look at each situation as it comes.