The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

The fact that Chelsea fans hate Benitez and Sarri, who both did very well for them despite both having a hand tied behind their backs, tells you all you need to know about Chelsea fans.

Chelsea are going to go through a bit of a blip, the transfer ban is a big part of it if it stands but also Abramovich hasn’t been in the country in a year. Had his visa revoked after that whole Russian poisoning thing, how interested can he be when he’s watching a thousand miles away on a yacht?

They might just write off the 2 years and give Lampard a chance to cut his teeth at this level.

Also with Man Utd looking shaky, the top 4 is very much up for grabs this year for a number of teams.

He's been in the UK, he's allowed in via his Israeli citizenship.

Are you sure? He’s not been at a Chelsea game in some time.

I don't think any manager can survive long term anymore at Chelsea unless Abramovich sells the club or changes the board. They went to huge lengths to get Sarri as manager, had a battle with Napoli to agree compensation for most of last summer and got him players that he wanted like Jorginho to help settle the team, but once he hit some bad form around Christmas he was as good as gone.

Chelsea have had some really good managers in the last few years, but it seems they can't last very long if the board don't support them when in difficult times or if the players and fans show discontent. I reckon if Chelsea got Guardiola instead of Man City and he had the same season when he first arrived in the Premier League he would have been sacked as well. Chelsea used to be able to survive these manager changes when they had Terry, Lampard and Drogba in the squad, but not anymore especially after selling Hazard.

I don't know what they are thinking or expect Lampard to achieve if they appoint him as manager. He has done well in his first job in management at Derby, but finishing in the play offs with Derby is not exactly over achieving its about where you expect Derby to finish these days in the Championship. With a transfer ban and without Hazard its difficult to see them finishing in the top 6 it would be embarrassing for the rest of the league if the likes of Wolves and Leicester can't finish above them next season.

Guest chopey

I don't think any manager can survive long term anymore at Chelsea unless Abramovich sells the club or changes the board. They went to huge lengths to get Sarri as manager, had a battle with Napoli to agree compensation for most of last summer and got him players that he wanted like Jorginho to help settle the team, but once he hit some bad form around Christmas he was as good as gone.

Chelsea have had some really good managers in the last few years, but it seems they can't last very long if the board don't support them when in difficult times or if the players and fans show discontent. I reckon if Chelsea got Guardiola instead of Man City and he had the same season when he first arrived in the Premier League he would have been sacked as well. Chelsea used to be able to survive these manager changes when they had Terry, Lampard and Drogba in the squad, but not anymore especially after selling Hazard.

I don't what they are thinking or expect Lampard to achieve if they appoint him as manager. He has done well in his first job in management at Derby, but finishing in the play offs with Derby is not exactly over achieving its about where you expect Derby to finish these days in the Championship. With a transfer ban and without Hazard its difficult to see them finishing in the top 6 it would be embarrassing for the rest of the league if the likes of Wolves and Leicester can't finish above them next season.

I cant agree with this, Chelsea have an amazing squad and have already signed Hazards replacement in Christian Pulisic, Zouma will replace the outgoing Cahill, If Lampard goes there and they dont finish top 4 with a good run in the Champions league and the cups its a massive failure

I don't what they are thinking or expect Lampard to achieve if they appoint him as manager. He has done well in his first job in management at Derby, but finishing in the play offs with Derby is not exactly over achieving its about where you expect Derby to finish these days in the Championship. With a transfer ban and without Hazard its difficult to see them finishing in the top 6 it would be embarrassing for the rest of the league if the likes of Wolves and Leicester can't finish above them next season.

I cant agree with this, Chelsea have an amazing squad and have already signed Hazards replacement in Christian Pulisic, Zouma will replace the outgoing Cahill, If Lampard goes there and they dont finish top 4 with a good run in the Champions league and the cups its a massive failure

If he goes there he'll do worse than Sarri and still get the plaudits from the studio nobs. There'll be no end of excuses trotted out for him, same as we can expect for solsjkaer this season.

Not sure, like. Pulisic is average, Hazard isn't being replaced and their strikers (at best) will be Giroud, Higuain, Abraham and Batschuayi. Lampard will have to put faith in youngsters like Mount and Hudson-Odoi, which takes time. Leicester and Wolves must be excited at these developments because there's a real chance of making the top 6.

They have lost arguably the best player in the Premier League. There have many matches where Hazard has had to dig Chelsea out of trouble and win matches by himself. Pulisic might do well, but huge pressure on him if they expect him to have the same impact as Hazard.

He got them to pretty much where you'd expect them to be. He's done alright but hardly been a standout season.

Relied a lot on loan deals so will be interesting to see how he does at Derby next year if he stays there

Not sure why people think Lampard is certain to fail - he's done well at Derby.

Name a manager with as little experience as Frank Lampard that has succeeded in the PL, let alone at one of the top clubs.

That's probably why! 

Name a manager with as little experience as Frank Lampard that has succeeded in the PL, let alone at one of the top clubs.

That's probably why! 

Keegan only had about 5 months more. Managed in the second tier then his second full season was in the Premier League.

That's probably why! 

Keegan only had about 5 months more. Managed in the second tier then his second full season was in the Premier League.

Touche. Keegan was a bit special though and football has changed a lot since then. I genuinely can't think of any in the more modern era of the Premier League.

It would be a crazy appointment IMO and done purely to appease the fans. I think there's a genuine risk of him ruining his legacy and reputation at Chelsea. However, they've basically been through the majority of top class managers so maybe they're left with no choice.

That's probably why!

Not the Premier League but Zidane and Pep had only Spanish B team experience behind them before nailing the Real Madrid and Barcelona jobs - a single season in Guardiola's case.

tbh, when you see what is happening in Germany, maybe clubs in England need to be a bit more adventurous with their manager hires.

I personally wouldn't appoint Lampard if I was in charge of Chelsea not right now anyway but its not the worst idea in the world. With the squad needing a major rebuild and the transfer ban you'd struggle to find any top level manager who'd take that job on right now and iirc his assistant was in charge of the academy at Chelsea so should have a good knowledge of the youngsters coming through and you'd think they'd get a chance with them in charge and its not like Lampard would be hounded out by the Chelsea fans, not right away anyway.

What odds Charlton v Middlesbrough will be the first game of the EPL season? Probably live on Sky.

I'd bet my entire life savings that it would never happen. Both teams aren't in the EPL for a start. :lol:

Guest neesy111

You know what I mean. Sky normally love a story like that opening day. Bowyer v Woodgate would be a good one.

What's the story though?  They played with each other at NUFC for a season after what happened at Leeds.

I personally wouldn't appoint Lampard if I was in charge of Chelsea not right now anyway but its not the worst idea in the world. With the squad needing a major rebuild and the transfer ban you'd struggle to find any top level manager who'd take that job on right now and iirc his assistant was in charge of the academy at Chelsea so should have a good knowledge of the youngsters coming through and you'd think they'd get a chance with them in charge and its not like Lampard would be hounded out by the Chelsea fans, not right away anyway.

I know it’s a long time ago, but Chelsea gave Hoddle his first big gig after a short spell at Swindon, as well as Vialli’s first job. Lampard to Chelsea makes sense on a few levels - certainly better than having Ole at the wheel at Man Yoo.

Hope he fails, naturally, but not the worst appointment ever.

what are juve thinking there, he the man to take them further in the CL?  hard to see it

There’s pretty much no other managers available and his reputation in Italy is way higher than it is here.