Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Surely he won't be sold, especially with the injuries we currently have.

Valencia interested in Javier Manquillo.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-news-live-achraf-16843034

I think they’ll sell him, he can leave on a free in the summer and Yedlin is due back. Could we add Aaron’s or one of the others to the squad if he leaves?

Not long left in the Summer transfer window for Rolando Aarons, Jack Colback, Achraf Lazaar, Henri Saivet and Jamie Sterry to find a new club. The 2nd of September seems to be the last day to sort a move to a League One, League Two or European club.

"European transfer deadline day: When does summer window close?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49501062

Today's the day the window closes. Let's see if all or any of these 5 players leave.

• 5 months later...

A large percentage of the NUFC squad is out of contract in the Summer or only have one year left on their contract in the Summer. A lot of big decisions need to be made on who to offer a new contract to and who to try to sell. At least one back up goalkeeper will be required. I doubt Freddie Woodman will want to be second choice.

Out of contract in June 2020: -

Andy Carroll

Federico Fernandez

Javier Manquillo

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matty Longstaff

Jack Colback

Out of contract in June 2021: -

Ciaran Clark

Fabian Schär

Jonjo Shelvey

Matt Ritchie

Dwight Gayle

Isaac Hayden

DeAndre Yedlin

Christian Atsu

Rolando Aarons

Achraf Lazaar

Jacob Murphy

Freddie Woodman

Henri Saivet

Contract dates taken from https://www.nufc.com/2019-20html/squad.html

Carroll will be kept on.

We'll have another summer of a potential take over, maybe one "marquee" signing, a few loans and the Chronicle running with how important Bruce thinks it is it to have characters and experienced players like Newcastle born and bred Geordie Andy Carroll in the dressing room.

A large percentage of the NUFC squad is out of contract in the Summer or only have one year left on their contract in the Summer. A lot of big decisions need to be made on who to offer a new contract to and who to try to sell. At least one back up goalkeeper will be required. I doubt Freddie Woodman will want to be second choice.

Andy Carroll

Federico Fernandez

Javier Manquillo

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matty Longstaff

Jack Colback

Ciaran Clark

Fabian Schär

Jonjo Shelvey

Matt Ritchie

Dwight Gayle

Isaac Hayden

DeAndre Yedlin

Christian Atsu

Rolando Aarons

Achraf Lazaar

Jacob Murphy

Freddie Woodman

Henri Saivet

Retain those in bold, and release / sell the others.

I was going to suggest upgrading on the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie, but we know that's never going to happen, therefore we may as well retain those as well and spend elsewhere.

Andy Carroll

Federico Fernandez

Javier Manquillo

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matty Longstaff

Jack Colback

Ciaran Clark

Fabian Schär

Jonjo Shelvey

Matt Ritchie

Dwight Gayle

Isaac Hayden

DeAndre Yedlin

Christian Atsu

Rolando Aarons

Achraf Lazaar

Jacob Murphy

Freddie Woodman

Henri Saivet

I was going to suggest upgrading on the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie, but we know that's never going to happen, therefore we may as well retain those as well and spend elsewhere.

Agree on the 2020 ones, depending on how the 2 loanee fullbacks go Manquillo may need to be kept on.

Not bothered at this stage on the 2021 list. We either get taken over and can release them all or we don't and get to next Feb with Bruce being sacked and a new manager in charge who they may or may not want to sign up to play for. The 2 I'd really push to keep (Schar and Woodman) won't stay unless there are changes

Andy Carroll

Federico Fernandez

Javier Manquillo

Rob Elliot

Karl Darlow

Matty Longstaff

Jack Colback

Ciaran Clark

Fabian Schär

Jonjo Shelvey

Matt Ritchie

Dwight Gayle

Isaac Hayden

DeAndre Yedlin

Christian Atsu

Rolando Aarons

Achraf Lazaar

Jacob Murphy

Freddie Woodman

Henri Saivet

Agree on the 2020 ones, depending on how the 2 loanee fullbacks go Manquillo may need to be kept on.

Not bothered at this stage on the 2021 list. We either get taken over and can release them all or we don't and get to next Feb with Bruce being sacked and a new manager in charge who they may or may not want to sign up to play for. The 2 I'd really push to keep (Schar and Woodman) won't stay unless there are changes

I'd lump Manquillo into the same bracket as Shelvey and Ritchie tbh, if we need to keep him then so be it, but we should really be looking to nail down two wing backs as a priority alongside the centre and a striker.

Yedlin at full / wing back in the Premier League scares the life out of me, but Manquillo just isn't a wing back imo, average full back though, definitely seen worse. It's criminal that we're persisting with wing backs without having had anyone decent on the right for over half a season.

Aye. Would switch Manquillo with Carroll.

Seriously no point wasting squad space with big Andy. He has got his return and I love it but lets take off the specs. He will be injured half the season at least and a year older. Manquillo has arguably been our best RB and seems happy to be a squad player.

Depends what he's getting paid. His knock down for Miggy's first league goal was very good and we don't have anyone else who can do that. If he can get some level of fitness back and lay on 4 / 5 goals a season he'll be worth it. He's still got enough about him to scare some defenders, like Martins had with Michael Dawson, or ASM currently has. Stats don't show you the effect of being able to draw 2 or 3 of the opposition out of position because they see you as a threat.