Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Think Hebburn will have a strong season. Have kept the core of last year's squad that finished in 2nd in the NL1 and have strengthened (Darren Lough, Danny Carson, Jack Elliott) - back them to have a strong season in the league and the Vase/Cup. Got a great set up there and great to see things turnaround after they were on the brink only two seasons ago.

Think Hebburn will have a strong season. Have kept the core of last year's squad that finished in 2nd in the NL1 and have strengthened (Darren Lough, Danny Carson, Jack Elliott) - back them to have a strong season in the league and the Vase/Cup. Got a great set up there and great to see things turnaround after they were on the brink only two seasons ago.

Yep - owners have done superb with the place and team.

Promotion and a good Vase run!

Both will be up there I imagine, though think Hebburn will edge it as they've had a year to gel and they've probably got a better squad on balance. Think Whickham will be right in the mix but it may be a while before they gel (Hebburn came good towards the end of last season). Also other clubs to chuck into the mix. Could be an excellent NL season (especially with the state of Newcastle and Sunderland plus the 3 automatic promotion spots up for grabs).

• 2 weeks later...

Hebburn v Gateshead tonight should be good too.

Aye, hopefully thee weather doesn't put people off!

Hebburn were excellent against Blyth and deserved to win so should be a good match!

Blyth won 6-0 at Wickham last night. Next up - Ashington tomorrow at Woodhorn Lane.

Whickham seem to be having a very indifferent pre-season so far. A great result against Dunston (1-1 draw) this week has been sandwiched in between a 3-1 loss to Blue Star (Alliance Prem) and a 6-0 loss last night to Blyth (who by all accounts battered them all game). Appreciate they'll have played three games in a week when they play Birtley Town tomorrow, but the interview post game by Asst Manager Andrew Bulford doesn't paint a rosy picture at the very least. Could take a very long time for the additions to bed in and be a difficult start for the Lang Jacks.

Blyth are having a similar packed pre-season schedule - lost 4-2 to Morpeth, earlier in the week.

Makes sense with Blyth I guess, given the huge exodus and overhaul of the squad they have had since Armstrong left. Gives them a chance to test out some of the Trialists (most seem to be from Northern League) to see if they're good enough and can manage the significant step up. Good on them for doing so, but I fear they could be in for a long season. Hope I'm wrong though.

I think anything around mid-table would be considered a success, NE40. :thup: FA Cup run would be nice too.

Agree with that mate, sincerely hope it's a good one for the folk at Blyth. Great people and have done exceptionally well over the last few seasons. Deserve a good cup run after all of the recent upheaval.

Following Bromley preseason closely, going well and they opened their new stand in front of 3,000 people the other night. Playing Dartford tonight and Charlton at the weekend.

Much more fun than following a Premier League team TBH.

Dunston vs spenny tonight. £4 entry for adults. Should be a good game. Spenny have looked good the last 2-3 games

Saw Dunston managed to get a win last night which is an excellent result tbf - you manage to go / hear much about it?

Dunston vs spenny tonight. £4 entry for adults. Should be a good game. Spenny have looked good the last 2-3 games

Saw Dunston managed to get a win last night which is an excellent result tbf - you manage to go / hear much about it?

Yeah I was there. Spennymoor had a few missing and took few off at half time.  Played a few out of position second half and had a trial keeper in goal both halves. However. Dunston looked very good at times. Especially the second half.  It was a good competitive game in fairness. Dunston deserved the win in the end. One of their players got what looked like a nasty injury too so hopefully he is fine

I watched Jarra vs Hebburn Town Reserves last night - good game and Jarra have made some cracking singings this summer and will be right up there. They rested most of their first XI and brought them on during the 2nd half as they're playing Hebburn Town tomorrow night at Hebburn Sports Ground!

I watched Jarra vs Hebburn Town Reserves last night - good game and Jarra have made some cracking singings this summer and will be right up there. They rested most of their first XI and brought them on during the 2nd half as they're playing Hebburn Town tomorrow night at Hebburn Sports Ground!

Always been a fan of Jarra - the best pitch in NL2 (like a carpet), some excellent people behind the scenes and a good team on it. Fancy Hebburn Town Reserves to be in the reckoning again for the Wearside (and potentially get promoted to NL1). Mad that they're playing their first team tonight as well though!

Yeah I was there. Spennymoor had a few missing and took few off at half time.  Played a few out of position second half and had a trial keeper in goal both halves. However. Dunston looked very good at times. Especially the second half.  It was a good competitive game in fairness. Dunston deserved the win in the end. One of their players got what looked like a nasty injury too so hopefully he is fine

Sounds like the norm for pre season, though still a great result for Dunston all the same. Hope the lad is alright, always horrible to get injured before the official season has started. Fancy Dunston to do well this season, they've got a great squad there and have made some impressive changes to the ground - they look very well equipped for their first season at EvoStik.

Always been a fan of Jarra - the best pitch in NL2 (like a carpet), some excellent people behind the scenes and a good team on it. Fancy Hebburn Town Reserves to be in the reckoning again for the Wearside (and potentially get promoted to NL1). Mad that they're playing their first team tonight as well though!

At the minute the NL don't accept reserve sides although they might have to once next season's restructure is complete.

At the minute the NL don't accept reserve sides although they might have to once next season's restructure is complete.

Very true, though I'd imagine with Hebburn Town First Team most probably getting promoted this season (though I appreciate a ball hasn't been kicked yet so it's premature to say) and the restructure they'll most likely be in the reckoning to come up.