Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Shields could have been 3 up at half time. Hit the bar and a good penalty shout. Canny game although  Matty Pattison is still s****.

Yeah, it should have been well and truly game over at half time - pisser for them especially as the draw was going to be live from Mariner's Park if they had of went through (or even drew I think!)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They’ve been on a bit of a poor run since spennymoor did the double over them in the space of a week.

Spenny won 1-0 today (4 wins 1 draw in their last 5 league games) sat 4th with 2 games in hand on some of the sides around them

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting changes to the league pyramid next season and what it could mean for the Northern League.

The FA is introducing a 4th regional division to steps 3 and 4 which will cover the midlands, so lots of shuffling around to create a much more northern Evo-Stik NPL and NPLD1. This obviously means promotion becomes more financially viable for Northern League clubs and could greatly change the make-up of the placing of North East clubs on the pyramid. Also at step 5 and 6 leagues will now be limited to 20 clubs, which means the Northern League is going to have to jettison some clubs one way or another.

Interesting times. In a way the strength of the NL at step 5 and the limited scope for teams to progress has been an enjoyable microcosm, because of the locality and the continued success in the Vase. Now it is likely to be the case that some of the bigger more ambition clubs move up. This brings in some potential danger for clubs who have for so long limited themselves having to cope with completely different ambitions. I hope the FA is not too forceful about clubs being promoted under this new system and still leaves it for the NL clubs to decide what is best for them.

Interesting. :thup: The Northern League has been left out on a limb for too long. Obviously Blyth have done well and become established, Spennymoor and Darlington have moved back up after their financial problems, and South Shields look to be on the way to joining them.  Who else from the Northern League could maybe's have a crack - Whitley Bay, Ashington, Morpeth?

Blyth still on a bad run at the moment - first game in a month, yesterday. But unfortunately they lost 1-0 at already relegated North Ferriby United. :( Need to pick up their form, or they could drop out of the play-off picture.

I hope the FA is not too forceful about clubs being promoted under this new system and still leaves it for the NL clubs to decide what is best for them.

It looks like they are. We are at the end of March and they still haven't confirmed so clubs cannot properly plan for next year. As it stands Marske and Morpeth will be forced to go up against their will (certainly in Morpeth's case who do not wish to be promoted). Ultimately even limiting the next tier up to Yorkshire causes issues for us. The players are part time and its not possible to travel to Yorkshire for a half 7 kick off after work; inevitably we will lose our best players because of promotion and will struggle. Its ridiculous.

Blyth still on a bad run at the moment - first game in a month, yesterday. But unfortunately they lost 1-0 at already relegated North Ferriby United. :( Need to pick up their form, or they could drop out of the play-off picture.

They won't end up anywhere near the playoffs without a major pick-up in performances- the showing on Saturday was almost unrecognisable from earlier in the season- no heart whatsoever. Although I have to be honest, the club just isn't ready for that step up. The crowds aren't big enough and they would need a full-time setup for a national level to have any chance of survival.

The FA's approach on promotion is the unfortunate result of years of stubborness by the former leadership of the Northern League. The division is seen as actively not participating in the pyramid (and I think over the last 20 years, that's a very fair observation) and as such is being forced to do so- or to leave the system altogether. When the FA offered the mass promotion (must be 10 years ago now) and it was openly attacked by the NL chair (who always took the opportunity to warn his clubs against going up) then this day became inevitable.

With Step 4 going down to 20 sides, so a 38 fixture season, the league are looking to minimise the number of mixweek fixtures (and you will find the tinpot Evostick cup draws are always convenient geographically). There will be some of course, and all away sides will suffer a bit because they will not have their full squad to choose from. The reverse it true in that Morpeth will have some midweek home games against weakened opposition. This is just a fact of life at that level.

The FA's approach on promotion is the unfortunate result of years of stubborness by the former leadership of the Northern League. The division is seen as actively not participating in the pyramid (and I think over the last 20 years, that's a very fair observation) and as such is being forced to do so- or to leave the system altogether. When the FA offered the mass promotion (must be 10 years ago now) and it was openly attacked by the NL chair (who always took the opportunity to warn his clubs against going up) then this day became inevitable.

With Step 4 going down to 20 sides, so a 38 fixture season, the league are looking to minimise the number of mixweek fixtures (and you will find the tinpot Evostick cup draws are always convenient geographically). There will be some of course, and all away sides will suffer a bit because they will not have their full squad to choose from. The reverse it true in that Morpeth will have some midweek home games against weakened opposition. This is just a fact of life at that level.

One wonders therefore what is the point of remaining in the pyramid? Is the Vase and the FA Cup preliminary rounds sufficient a reason? I do wonder if a threat was made by the Northern League cups to split what the reaction of the FA would be. Probably couldn't care less.

For the Northern League clubs, the reality is that financially there are limitations to where we can go so I'm not sure what forcing some of our teams to face more Yorkshire opposition actually does, other than force our better players to make a decision that may see them leaving the club to drop back to a Northern League outfit. At the same time that would probably have an affect on attendances. Essentially it threatens reduced participation and no one wins.

If the FA are concerned about the FA Vase - and I can see a point here as the domination we have shows it isn't a level playing field then I wonder if the compromise is let first division clubs have a crack at the FA Trophy. We wouldn't win it but could cause some upsets which would be exciting.

I see both sides of the argument.

Northern League clubs are happy to pay extra to players, give top strikers bonuses etc, and compete intensely with each other - but they don't want to pay the greater travel costs to play at a higher level. Some of the bigger NL clubs are at an artificially low level considering the size (and potential size) of the clubs and it's reflected in the Vase domination.

However, the North East clubs are in a particularly difficult position in terms of travelling and I can see the fear and practical problems of stepping out of the comfort zone. It will be interesting to see the make-up of the new Evo-Stik division next year geographically. My sympathies either way will probably be decided by that.