Yoshinori Mutō (now playing for Vissel Kobe)

Rich

He's a good player who actually does well to close down/press and get into good positions - the new formation should do him world of good. Problem is - Almiron now in our squad, Ritchie potentially freed up to play more advanced, Perez is gotten into a great run of form, Atsu has come into his own as well.

I actually keep forgetting about this guy, I keep rerunning the nightmare scenario of Rondon getting injured then just having the Jos as our only striker... then Muto finally pops into my head. He's shown glimpses of talent but seen nowhere near enough of him to make a call on how good he is.

Interesting what O.N. said, makes you wonder if he was a Benitez buy. He's definitely someone I'd like to see more of before judging but at the moment he doesn't appear anywhere near being considered a starter.

Would make sense that he was a 3rd/4th/last option, I mean it is the way we operate.

I'd like to see this;

Rondon

Perez                  Almiron                Muto

Longstaff              Diame

BA Baracus                                      Yedlin

Lejeune        Schar

Dubravka

Has to be Rondon's backup over Joselu. Even if he's more suited to Perez's/Atsu's role.

That's not how Rafa thinks though, if he thinks he needs a big target man up front, he's not going to pick Muto over Joselu. He hasn't even considered playing Perez as a lone striker, and he has shown some form in that role when he first came here.

Has to be Rondon's backup over Joselu. Even if he's more suited to Perez's/Atsu's role.

That's not how Rafa thinks though, if he thinks he needs a big target man up front, he's not going to pick Muto over Joselu. He hasn't even considered playing Perez as a lone striker, and he has shown some form in that role when he first came here.

He played Gayle up top on his own for the second half of last season, tbf. He likes variety.

He played Gayle up top on his own for the second half of last season, tbf. He likes variety.

I did qualify that by saying IF he needed a big centre forward. I think for Rafa to play a small forward up front, they would have to lead the line pretty well, and Gayle wasn't bad at that tbf. I haven't really seen much of Muto to be able to comment if he is up to it.

Guest reefatoon

He has no chance when Rafas secret love child is at the club. Joselu definitely has something on Rafa, it’s the only explanation on him getting anywhere near the team nevermind keeping other strikers out.

Language, supposedly. If he can't follow instructions he won't be in the team until he can.

I don't know why bother signing him then.

Might have assumed he would acquire a working knowledge of the language in 8-9 months.

• 1 month later...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/yoshinori-muto-newcastle-rafa-benitez-15993558

Why Yoshinori Muto is struggling for gametime at Newcastle - and what he must do to change that

Newcastle United signed Yoshinori Muto from Mainz 05 for £9.5m last summer, but the striker has struggled for gametime since

By Chris Waugh

07:00, 19 MAR 2019

Yoshinori Muto needs to develop a greater understanding with his Newcastle United team-mates in order to earn regular gametime, Rafa Benitez has revealed.

The Japan international has started just five Premier League matches since signing from Mainz 05 for £9.5million last summer, and has played only 17 minutes of football for Newcastle this calendar year.

Yet the 26-year-old forward has seemingly forced himself ahead of Joselu in the striking pecking order at the moment, and he came on to play the final eight minutes of the Magpies' 2-2 draw against AFC Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday.

A succession of injuries, as well as his involvement in the Asian Cup in January, have prevented Muto from enjoying a seamless transition into English football, but Benitez has been impressed by his workrate both in training and during his fleeting appearances.

"Obviously he didn't have too much time, but we have two or three players who are training so well, and it is a pity that you cannot play them," Benitez replied when asked to assess Muto's cameo performance against the Cherries after the Japan forward replaced Ayoze Perez in the 82nd minute at the Vitality Stadium.

"When he came on he, as always, was working really hard, was chasing players, was running into the spaces, so it's what we were expecting from him."

Muto's solitary goal for Newcastle came during an impressive display at Old Trafford back in September, but he has found opportunities hard to come by in recent months.

His slow progress when it comes to learning English - he is improving in this department, but is still far from fluent - has affected his progress, while Muto has also taken time to adapt to the pace and physicality of the Premier League.

Miguel Almiron's arrival in January forced Muto further down the attacking pecking order - with Perez, Salomon Rondon, Christian Atsu and Kenedy among those competing for a place in the United XI.

And, while Muto is starting to communicate more effectively with his  team-mates, Benitez wants to see the forward develop a greater understanding with his fellow Magpies out on the pitch before he will be considered regularly for a starting berth.

"I think he's getting better in terms of the understanding with his team-mates because he is having English lessons, so he can communicate much better," Benitez added when pressed as to what Muto needed to do in order to earn greater gametime.

"Nobody ever worries about his workrate and how dynamic he is during games and training sessions.

"It's just for me to know that he knows about the other players around, and in this case Almiron came and is doing well, so Muto just has to carry on competing."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/yoshinori-muto-admits-faces-uphill-15992916

Yoshinori Muto admits he faces uphill task to get in team ahead of Rondon, Perez and Almiron - but makes goal pledge

Muto has scored just once since arriving from Mainz for £9.5million but is ready to show what he can do

By Lee Ryder

05:00, 19 MAR 2019

Yoshinori Muto admits he faces a battle to force his way into Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez's starting XI - despite returning to the field for the first time in three months.

The Japan international returned from the Asian Cup in January and was told by Benitez to fight for his place.

With Salomon Rondon and Ayoze Perez in fine form, and linking up with Miguel Almiron, Muto is fortunate to get a place on the bench at the moment.

But he was afforded a cameo role against AFC Bournemouth at the weekend in the 2-2 draw at the Vitality Stadium.

Muto managed five touches in nine minutes on the South Coast as he played for United for the first time since the home game with Manchester United back on January 2.

Muto said: "I'm very happy. Finally, I could play on the pitch. I'm fully fit now yes.

"The competition is tough, Almiron, Rondon - everybody has been playing well.

"It's not easy to get my position again, but I have to keep working and focus on scoring."

Muto will be keen to top up his minutes in the next clash against Arsenal.

Looking forward to the game, Muto said: "I didn't score at Bournemouth so next game I want to score for the team.

"We have to keep working and we have to focus on the next game.

"It's been frustrating, yeah, sure and after the Asian Cup, I didn't play in the games. I was very frustrated, but I have worked very hard in training.

"Finally, I could play, but I'm not satisfied. I should keep working. I have to be positive and focus on the next game. I can play both - behind the striker and striker. It doesn't matter."