Fabian Schär

Guest Howaythetoon

I don’t mind signings like thisunder certain cirumstaces, but he’s only coming because he’s cheap, had a release clause and not to strengthen the first-team which is where we need to focus on. Rafa is clearly working from the same list last season which we were successful working from with Joselu and now this fella. Happy days...

I don’t mind signings like thisunder certain cirumstaces, but he’s only coming because he’s cheap, had a release clause and not to strengthen the first-team which is where we need to focus on. Rafa is clearly working from the same list last season which we were successful working from with Joselu and now this fella. Happy days...

Not sure what sort of CB we were expecting mind. It was always going to be someone like this to replace a 4th choice defender. It’s not a Cabaye out/Colback in situation. Unless Lascelles goes...then it’s a Cabaye out/Colback in situation.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not sure what sort of CB we were expecting mind. It was always going to be someone like this to replace a 4th choice defender. It’s not a Cabaye out/Colback in situation. Unless Lascelles goes...then it’s a Cabaye out/Colback in situation.

It is or was our least weakest area, but with Mbemba moving on we know Rafa likes to have cover for every position. Anything over the cost of what we got for Mbemba and he wouldn’t be arriving. Basically just a continuation of our ridiculous transfer policy and t constraints in which Rafa has to work under when it comes to money to spend on he team.

Obviously improves the team because he's just turned three CB's into 4 CB's in contention. He has more positional awareness than Mbemba and better in the air. I was impressed with him in the World Cup, one of the reasons Switzerland were not so easy to beat. May prove to be the best passer from the back.

We will see in time..

Guest firetotheworks

Under normal circumstances I'd probably be fine with this transfer, but really it's just merely a coincidence that our pathetic box ticking approach to transfer fees has come up with a player that might be okay.

Ciaran is now 4th choice centre back, so that's great news imo.

Now to replace Merino and we're done*

*ignoring the glaringly obvious huge gaps in the squad and first team, without even mentioning a striker or number 10.

Peter Beardsley was the last decent number 10 we had, how bad is that, he has retired and moved onto bullying kids and we still haven't replaced him, not sure if we can blame that on the fat one, but I will.

Peter Beardsley was the last decent number 10 we had, how bad is that, he has retired and moved onto bullying kids and we still haven't replaced him, not sure if we can blame that on the fat one, but I will.

Craig Bellamy operated the role very well

I feel like we've needed a number 10 for at least 5 years.

Remember when we had loads of them?  Mostly shite like but Marveaux, de Jong, Wijnaldum, Ayoze, etc.

Halcyon days...

I actually watched him quite a bit for Basel in the early 2010s when they had a great young team (Sommer, Shaqiri, Xhaka, Stocker) and was impressed with his bravery and maturity. He may have been vice captain too iirc. No idea what he's been up to since.

Anyway, I remember he reminded me of Stevie Taylor. Take of that what you will  :saylor:

Craig Bellamy operated the role very well

O0

Guest firetotheworks

The obvious answer is HBA but he wasn't played there enough for it to work and he was already shit hot on the right. The last time we regularly played anyone who played that role at all before Perez was probably Beardsley tbh.