Dalian Atkinson (1968-2016)

Tsunami

from the Sun - comments from his dad.

Today his dad Ernest, 85, told how his son flew into booze-fuelled rage shortly before he was tasered by police.

Speaking yesterday from his home, he said: “He was in a real state.

“I don’t know if he was drunk or on drugs but he was very agitated and his mind was upset.

“The last thing he said to me was ‘don’t move’ when the police came to the door.

“He was threatening and very upset. I didn’t call the police but someone else did.

“He got tasered in the street outside in the road. I didn’t see him but I saw a flash. I haven’t had any sleep and cannot take it in.

“The police are dealing with this now.”

Looks like theres a bit more to it than the police just tazering a man going about his daily business.

Looks like theres a bit more to it than the police just tazering a man going about his daily business.

No doubt about it, but you have to question the use of tazers as a method of restraint if it can end up killing someone. I wonder if it had something to do with any substance he might have been on reacting to the shock?

No doubt about it, but you have to question the use of tazers as a method of restraint if it can end up killing someone. I wonder if it had something to do with any substance he might have been on reacting to the shock?

What's the alternative though? When you get two officers getting blown away by some cunt with a grenade a few years back it increases the need for escalation. You had the situation in Leytonstone last December - 4 streets from my house where that bloke carved 3 people up and then got tazered and rightly so. You have to moderate in what situations they are used and christ knows what happened here. It's the best alternative to mass shootouts though unfortunately.

I'll admit that if Dalian Atkinson carved 3 people up, I am fine with their utilization of the taser.

Yeah, if he had a machete or a hand grenade on his person, a tazer seems fairly harmless in that context.

It's none of our business what problems the guy was having, it seems like the police were a little trigger happy.. I read he was shot twice with the taser. After the first he was stunned and was staggering forward slightly, so they nailed him again with it.

You wouldn't know if there was an underlying heart condition, one of the reasons they shouldn't use something like that in the first place.

Any person or animal for that matter who is cornered when they've lost control isn't going to suddenly start following instructions no matter how much force is used. They really need to rethink things.

I'll admit that if Dalian Atkinson carved 3 people up, I am fine with their utilization of the taser.

Yeah, if he had a machete or a hand grenade on his person, a tazer seems fairly harmless in that context.

Well the point stands. There's a justification for having them despite the risks to health. By the sounds of things its sounds like a bit of an overreaction.

Tasers cause cardiac arrythmia and Atkinson went into cardiac arrest after being tasered. They significantly increase the risk even if they aren't the operative cause of death as such.

Like myself, you have no idea of what actually caused his death. Well unless you personally conducted his post mortem examination.

The taser might have caused his death, the taser might not have caused his death. Nobody knows at this stage.

Likewise none of us know enough about what actually went on to say whether the use of taser was justified or not.