Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It takes the spontaneous celebration away from goals a lot more than I thought it would

Yeah it’s the glance at the linesman * 100

:thup:

Super robot future VAR will be great. I'll love that shit.

Current VAR sucks all the enjoyment out of the game.

I'd rather just go back to the days of gross incompetence and not being allowed to get penalties at Anfield and Old Trafford.

I reckon 2019/2020 will be right up your alley

Mike Riley.

I actually think handball is in a really good place in this country, and that's the message that we get from all the clubs - from the managers and the players - when we go and talk to them.”

”We have a philosophy that says we want handball to be something that has an impact on the game.”

Can’t wait for VAR to be blamed for harsh handballs :laugh:

Handballs need to have less of an impact not more.

I’d like to see handballs be indirect free kicks unless it’s a clear case of deliberate/moving of the arm to hand ball/stop the ball in the penalty area.

Someone deliberately moving their arm to stop the ball in the area(Penalty) compared to someone having the ball strike their arm(Indirect free kick) = Less harsh handball penalties.

Sources close to the IFAB say directives on the new handball law are to make NO distinction as to how the ball came to hit a hand/arm. Even if deflected on to it. Or apparently blasted against. If the arm makes the body larger (as it does) that is penalised.

Hmm.

Mike Riley.

I actually think handball is in a really good place in this country, and that's the message that we get from all the clubs - from the managers and the players - when we go and talk to them.”

”We have a philosophy that says we want handball to be something that has an impact on the game.”

I’d like to see handballs be indirect free kicks unless it’s a clear case of deliberate/moving of the arm to hand ball/stop the ball in the penalty area.

Someone deliberately moving their arm to stop the ball in the area(Penalty) compared to someone having the ball strike their arm(Indirect free kick) = Less harsh handball penalties.

Sources close to the IFAB say directives on the new handball law are to make NO distinction as to how the ball came to hit a hand/arm. Even if deflected on to it. Or apparently blasted against. If the arm makes the body larger (as it does) that is penalised.

Hmm.

This is gonna be really dumb, attackers are going to be trying to deliberately play the ball off a defenders arm.  What the hell is going to happen to defenders in the wall at free kicks too?  Some choice, defend your balls and give away a penalty or potentially take one in the nards.

Mike Riley.

Hmm.

This is gonna be really dumb, attackers are going to be trying to deliberately play the ball off a defenders arm.  What the hell is going to happen to defenders in the wall at free kicks too?  Some choice, defend your balls and give away a penalty or potentially take one in the nards.

Clearly the focus on Women's football has muddied their thinking.

Imagine having Perez for loads of years where he couldnt even get a penalty after being elbowed by Boly, then selling him in the transfer window before VAR is introduced  :lol:

He gets kicked to bits and knows how to fall over - Leicester might rival Palace for pens :lol:

Watching Atlético Mineiro v Cruzeiro and Cruzeiro just broke to score, after five minutes of mayhem VARS has shown an iffy foul by Cruzeiro as they broke, goal ruled out and a free kick to Mineiro just outside Cruzeiro's box.

Utter mayhem  :lol:

Watching Atlético Mineiro v Cruzeiro and Cruzeiro just broke to score, after five minutes of mayhem VARS has shown an iffy foul by Cruzeiro as they broke, goal ruled out and a free kick to Mineiro just outside Cruzeiro's box.

Massive derby n all. Trouble?

Massive derby n all. Trouble?

Just shite loads of handbags, ref totally lost it, not that it looked easy to control tbf.

It'll definitely take a very long time for it to bed in and to be accepted by everyone. Problem is fans will no longer want to celebrate goals (or anything else) for fear that it can easily be ruled out / taken away by VAR. Whilst it will get the correct decision 99.9% of the time, it'll take the drama out of the situations and ultimately I fear the viewing experience could suffer.

I just can't believe how VAR has managed to be implemented so badly.  DRS in cricket has been wildly successful. TMO in Rugby has worked wonderfully. Reviews in Tennis are fantastic.

But somehow, video refs in football has become a referee looking at a screen under a blanket and then making a completely unaccountable decision based on his/her interpretation of the rules.

Almost every other sport updates its laws to counter tactical developments that harm the game.  But still, football refuses to change it's rules (beyond tinkering around the edges).  The fundamental problem is that rulings on fouls are completely down to referees' interpretations because that's how the rules are written.  I would propose a couple of things could fix this:

1.  Re-write the rules on fouls.  New rules is that is one of three conclusions have been reached. A - the attacking player has slipped or accidentally fallen over, ruling - play on/drop ball to restart. B - attacking player has exaggerated contact, ruling - yellow card for attacking player, free kick for defending team. C - defending player has physically impeded attacking player in a manner that is not intended to play the ball itself, ruling - free kick/penalty for attacking player, yellow/red card as necessary.  Notice that the word contact does not appear here anywhere.  Contact is completely irrelevant.  It's all about the players' intent.  If they intend to unfairly influence the outcome of the game, then they are penalised.

2.  All refs, linesmen and 4th refs wear microphones.  Video decisions are decided by a 5th ref that sits away from the pitch i.e. the ref refers decisions and takes advice.  This conversation is all broadcast so the world can hear it.  This gives transparency and stops corrupt decisions from referees.  Also, bad language/abuse directed towards the referee is an instant red card.  This stops the world hearing Wayne Rooney call the ref a cunt for the 90th time every game.

Doubt any of this would happen though, it's in FIFA/UEFA/FAs' interests to be able to manage results through referees to suit their agenda.  Bent as fuck.

I just can't believe how VAR has managed to be implemented so badly.  DRS in cricket has been wildly successful. TMO in Rugby has worked wonderfully. Reviews in Tennis are fantastic.

But somehow, video refs in football has become a referee looking at a screen under a blanket and then making a completely unaccountable decision based on his/her interpretation of the rules.

Almost every other sport updates its laws to counter tactical developments that harm the game.  But still, football refuses to change it's rules (beyond tinkering around the edges).  The fundamental problem is that rulings on fouls are completely down to referees' interpretations because that's how the rules are written.  I would propose a couple of things could fix this:

1.  Re-write the rules on fouls.  New rules is that is one of three conclusions have been reached. A - the attacking player has slipped or accidentally fallen over, ruling - play on/drop ball to restart. B - attacking player has exaggerated contact, ruling - yellow card for attacking player, free kick for defending team. C - defending player has physically impeded attacking player in a manner that is not intended to play the ball itself, ruling - free kick/penalty for attacking player, yellow/red card as necessary.  Notice that the word contact does not appear here anywhere.  Contact is completely irrelevant.  It's all about the players' intent.  If they intend to unfairly influence the outcome of the game, then they are penalised.

2.  All refs, linesmen and 4th refs wear microphones.  Video decisions are decided by a 5th ref that sits away from the pitch i.e. the ref refers decisions and takes advice.  This conversation is all broadcast so the world can hear it.  This gives transparency and stops corrupt decisions from referees.  Also, bad language/abuse directed towards the referee is an instant red card. This stops the world hearing Wayne Rooney call the ref a cunt for the 90th time every game.

Doubt any of this would happen though, it's in FIFA/UEFA/FAs' interests to be able to manage results through referees to suit their agenda.  Bent as fuck.

He's already up to 131 so that problem has been fixed.

I've no idea about rugby, I try to avoid watching it as much as possible but it was incredibly stop start when I have caught it on the telly

Fair one.  I think if you don't/haven't played it, then it's a tough watch.  I think in terms of gameplay it's fairly similar to football (ignoring tackling) except that in football the ball can be passed forwards to players ahead of the ball causing the gameplay to move up and down the pitch more quickly.

In refereeing terms, the laws of rugby are often black or white.  In football they are often shades of grey, which doesn't help referees, hence why I propose modifying the rules to help refs out more (and making their decisions more transparent).