Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Would Ashley be investing so much in this if he thought the bidders would just pull out on relegation. Also the amount of time and money invested by PCP to get this done since 2017 for them just to walk away ? Even if they had to pay over the odds for a championship club say 200 plus, look at the value of City, Spurs and Chelsea now, all clubs we we’re bigger than not long ago. This is part of Saudis 2030 vision, a long term investment which can be justified even if relegated on potential long term increase in value.

To get this deal we will have to prove the PL did not complete the test correctly, in the event that is proven and we are relegated, this potentially opens up the possibility of a compensation case also for Ashley. He could rightly argue that had the test been carried out correctly his asset would not have been devalued. Of course as part of an arbitration settlement it could be agreed by all parties that Ashley will not pursue any said compensation.

Along with Ashley’s new interest in expansion into the Middle East and Fraser group losses, it all opens up the possibility of a previously reluctant seller agreeing to a sale at a reduced price on relegation.

To get this deal we will have to prove the PL did not complete the test correctly

And for Saudi to allow Bein back yeah?

Not sure I think it helps but how long is that going to take ? It maybe they just forge ahead and if they can prove test was not carried out correctly, and Shaheed Fatima proves PIF are separate to state, then Bein is not an issue.

I think De Marco and co would fancy chances of a settlement being reached if Bein was reinstated and court cases we’re dropped, as without the legal case in London re piracy is it worth the PL fighting the case on separation.

My worry would be is that Ashley would ask for something stupidly unrealistic for a club that only really has a biggish stadium at championship level, as out facilities are more league 1 level by now. Really hope if he has to give up on this deal his other companies states mean he has to get rid of us.

Undoubtedly the club could burn for me if the takeover doesn’t go through. This is a good point made by Keith though, I think we have to be extremely confident in the legal argument club has.

Well that's not true, barristers have no choice but to take on a case if instructed, there are only very limited circumstances where they can refuse and feeling they can't win is not one of them.

Undoubtedly the club could burn for me if the takeover doesn’t go through. This is a good point made by Keith though, I think we have to be extremely confident in the legal argument club has.

Well that's not true, barristers have no choice but to take on a case if instructed, there are only very limited circumstances where they can refuse and feeling they can't win is not one of them.

You'd have to hope they'd give an honest appraisal of the chances of success. If they told Ashley he didn't have a decent case, would he have bothered progressing? Never know with him unfortunately

They examine the evidence and inform the client if they have a case or not. This would have happened before it became public knowledge that they had been hired.

Surely when you’re as high profile as De Marco though you would just say look Mike you’ve got no chance here. I can’t imagine Mike paying huge fees to a QC who has told him I don’t like you’re chances ?

But the law isn't that black and white, they're very unlikely to say you 100% will or won't win a case. There clearly are arguments to be made and they may be confident in their case but in my experience barristers always appear confident in their case, that's fundamentally their job.

The PL will also have instructed a barrister and they could similarly advise the PL that it would be best to settle, crucially, the PL's insurers will probably also have looked at the level of risk they are taking on.

Btw, from the outside I think we have a very strong case, I just don't think that what he said is technically correct or indicative of the strength of our case.

Surely when you’re as high profile as De Marco though you would just say look Mike you’ve got no chance here. I can’t imagine Mike paying huge fees to a QC who has told him I don’t like you’re chances ?

If he had no chance I've no doubt he'd tell him. Likewise if it was open and shut the PL's lawyers would advise accordingly and it would be over.

It's probably somewhere around the 50/50 mark.

Ashley hates being told what to do and loves a gamble :undecided:

94 pages stretching over 10 months and there’s been f*** all positive happened as of yet :lol:

The arbritation case agaisnt the PL not something positive or are you a closet optimist who needs constant reassurances?

Well for me I’ll wait for the outcome of arbitration before I decide if it’s positive. If it fails it’s not exactly positive is it?

I don’t particularly feel having this hangover out heads all season has really helped either

94 pages stretching over 10 months and there’s been f*** all positive happened as of yet :lol:

The arbritation case agaisnt the PL not something positive or are you a closet optimist who needs constant reassurances?

Well for me I’ll wait for the outcome of arbitration before I decide if it’s positive. If it fails it’s not exactly positive is it?

I don’t particularly feel having this hangover out heads all season has really helped either

I think others - myself included - are taking the fact that the club are pursuing arbritation to the extent that other potential purchasers are being put off engaging Ashley, as a positive and reason to be optimistic.

So unless you're of the opinion that the PL have acted appropriately, then I'm unsure why there wouldn't be a tinge of optimism or excitement for how this case may pan out, but then again that's the nature of optimism isn't it?

You're doing it wrong - the thread is called positive optimism, not positive outcome.

I think others - myself included - are taking the fact that the club are pursuing arbritation to the extent that other potential purchasers are being put off engaging Ashley, as a positive and reason to be optimistic.

So unless you're of the opinion that the PL have acted appropriately, then I'm unsure why there wouldn't be a tinge of optimism or excitement for how this case may pan out, but then again that's the nature of optimism isn't it?

Fair point. I’m genuinely of the view that the club will win arbitration or come to an agreement but I do think relegation will kill any takeover I just don’t see how it wouldn’t

You're doing it wrong - the thread is called positive optimism, not positive outcome.

Ok so the arbitration case is a positive but my main point was 94 pages and 10 months of utter shite about bread and Spanish jazz etc

Ok so the arbitration case is a positive but my main point was 94 pages and 10 months of utter shite about bread and Spanish jazz etc

Might be for you, some of us in here enjoy it......a bit of relief from the other thread.