Europa League 2012/13 - Benfica 1 - 2 Chelsea

MKSC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only mackem I ever met in person told me a convoluted story about their stadium being named after some miner lantern or whatever.

Wha?

Reciting from memory here, said the stadium was built near the site of a mine and the "Light" referred to the miners' lamps. It sounded a bit forced to me.

Guest Cardozo7

wonder how many tickets we'll be allocated for this, with it being a big stadium i'm hopefully it will be sizeable? fingers crossed i'll be okay with my seaston ticket with around 20 loyalty points.

At least 4k. We have a special enclosed area reserved for away fans so you can have that area guaranteed. But as it was said already, you can pretty much get as many tickets as you want as Benfica should only sell around 50.000. Hard times in Portugal so lot's of people just can't afford to watch the games on the stadium and as it's live on free TV the attendance is not likely to be over 55K

Ah, yeah.  They hardly ever give the stadium its full name, which is:

The Stadium of Light from the Miners' Lamps (or from the first thing they saw when exiting) from the Pit that was once close, but is no more and so it is a tribute name...

... and has nothing to do with that stadium in Portugal, no sir.

Hi, another Benfica supporter here. Well, I just want to say thank you for accepting me in your forum. Also, it is a pleasure to play against you guys, I really like Newcastle. By the way, hope you kick the shi* out of fuc**** Sunderland, they cant even pick their own stadium name.

Haha class  :D

Sunderland are a mediocre team with a mediocre manager, i can see them really struggle to stay up and in all honesty i wouldn't be surprised to see them going down with Reading and Villa/Wigan

I like you  :aww:

Guest Craig-NUFC

The only mackem I ever met in person told me a convoluted story about their stadium being named after some miner lantern or whatever.

Wha?

Reciting from memory here, said the stadium was built near the site of a mine and the "Light" referred to the miners' lamps. It sounded a bit forced to me.

Sort of makes sense. They have a couple of gas cauldron things outside the stadium that look like giant miner lamps, but I don't think they've been on since the first season the stadium was opened. They used to shoot light beams in to the sky too for whatever reason.

The name Stadium of Light is a tribute to the traditional mining industry, which brought prosperity to the town; a Davy lamp monument stands at the entrance.

According to Wikipedia and Sunderland's official history book or something.

Guest rdr10

Aw, isn't this lovely. Como estas mis amigos de Portugal (yo se que este es espanol pero puedo entender algun de su forum con mi conocimiento de espanol - entonces ustedes tambien?). Nos vemos en Lisbon.

We all have to meet next to the stadium, I will take you to a place near the stadium that the beer is 1€! 1 minute walking from the stadium..

Ok I've changed my forum pic from a Sporting CP badge in respect of our new visitors.

I actually watched both games with a bunch of Benfica mates in Cascais last night.

I can't wait for this, booked a day off work so I can go on an all day sesh on the day of the game.

Guest Pablito

Benfica fans, your thoughts on Bale please. Great player...or the greatest player?

Gareth Bale? I think he is extraodinary to be honest, but well, not the greatest obviously.

Guest Cardozo7

Do you all dislike Graeme Souness too?  :yeah:

Oh God...what a w*ncker.

Filled Benfica with old useless british players that couldn't kick a ball to save their lives.

Names like Michael Thomas, Dean Saunders, Mark Pembridge and several others will live forever in our worst nightmares.

Guest GloriosoSLB

Benfica fans, your thoughts on Bale please. Great player...or the greatest player?

He's great player, but if u are a spurs fan i couldn't wish u the best of luck, since u have that shi*** man managing ur team.

Newcastle fans, which players are cup tied?

Guest rdr10

Greatest player playing in England!

He's great player, but if u are a spurs fan i couldn't wish u the best of luck, since u have that shi*** man managing ur team.

Newcastle fans, which players are cup tied?

Gouffran (cup-tied) and Debuchy (not registered)

Guest GloriosoSLB

cool. now i think u should rest sissoko, cisse and cabaye, since we shouldn't play with lima, maxi and cardozo (maybe one central defender too)  :aww: