Newcastle United 5-0 Manchester United - 20/10/96 (post match comments from p8)

Interpolic

Probably my favourite ever player.

Was a member of his fanclub when he was at us. Used to have a t-shirt, get birthday/christmas cards n everything.

Seriously?

I sit and watch these old matches he played in and he’s bloody good at reading the game, passing the ball, and doing the dirty stuff  obv.

Yup. Not the traditional choice I know.

Him being part of the good times obviously helps but I have always really enjoyed defensive midfielders who read the game, know their game and keep it ticking over. Part of the reason I hated Colback so much, an utter fraud.

I’ve still got my old “denim” away shirt with his name on the back kicking about at my parents somewhere.

Yup. Not the traditional choice I know.

Him being part of the good times obviously helps but I have always really enjoyed defensive midfielders who read the game, know their game and keep it ticking over. Part of the reason I hated Colback so much, an utter fraud.

I’ve still got my old “denim” away shirt with his name on the back kicking about at my parents somewhere.

That’s incredible. The old denim away shirt was the first Newcastle shirt I had. The grandad collar shirt was sold out each time my old man went to London (he told me).

Absolute banger of a kit tbf. Also probably my favourites even if it was itchy as fuck IIRC. The lads wore it at the first away game I ever went too.

(Probably been done before but an idea for a thread that I might do when we’re stuck indoors)

Nothing stranger than me owning all of our away kits basically until adidas stopped being our kit supplier. Proper odd thing to own. I selectively owned the home kits. Weird shit kids do I guess.

How was the city after the match? Genuinely people thinking it was finally our time to win the league?

Not sure if it was after this match or one of the many other great performances at this time, but I remember drinking in the Newcastle Arms after one game and there was a French TV crew filming the whole bar singing the Ginola song.

Often wondered if my "interview"  (drunken tirade into the camera) in pissed "o" level french  was actually broadcast... :D

Just caught up on this, what a watch that was. :lol:

Shearer's and Albert's both give you tingles. Meanwhile Keegan's celebrations make your heart soar every time.

Can't believe that Mancy Mackem pillock sat in the studio at half-time is our manager, man. United this, United that. Bemoaning the decisions against them. Urgh.

Absolutely nothing in football. He lives in my neck of the woods; pretty sure I saw him involved on a site renovating a property around the corner from my office last year.

Yeah I've seen him in York a couple of times, so guessing he lives around here. There have been a couple of people on the "Quickly Kevin, Will He Score?" podcast who were asked about him and they basically said he had very little interest in football, he was just very very good at it and did it as a job. One of the players they had on (can't remember who) said that Blackburn had a title-winning reunion a few years back but he didn't turn up to it and no-one is really in touch with him any more.

Absolutely nothing in football. He lives in my neck of the woods; pretty sure I saw him involved on a site renovating a property around the corner from my office last year.

Yeah I've seen him in York a couple of times, so guessing he lives around here. There have been a couple of people on the "Quickly Kevin, Will He Score?" podcast who were asked about him and they basically said he had very little interest in football, he was just very very good at it and did it as a job. One of the players they had on (can't remember who) said that Blackburn had a title-winning reunion a few years back but he didn't turn up to it and no-one is really in touch with him any more.

:thup: Was Ian Pearce I think.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is quoted as saying the only real time he enjoyed being a footballer and thought he was actually a good footballer because he was told he was, was under KK a NUFC.

He’d be one of the best in his position today. Had we had him from the start of the season with Flowers and Hendry like KK wanted, we’d have walked 95/96.

He is quoted as saying the only real time he enjoyed being a footballer and thought he was actually a good footballer because he was told he was, was under KK a NUFC.

He’d be one of the best in his position today. Had we had him from the start of the season with Flowers and Hendry like KK wanted, we’d have walked 95/96.

Flowers and Hendry would have made all the difference, Batty, despite the love in for him on here, not so much.

Clarky  in our system, was more than capable in that position, whereas Pav and Peacock weren't in the same class as their Blackburn counterparts.

Guest Howaythetoon

Flowers and Hendry would have made all the difference, Batty, despite the love in for him on here, not so much.

Clarky  in our system, was more than capable in that position, whereas Pav and Peacock weren't in the same class as their Blackburn counterparts.

Batty actually got forward more and showed how good he was, one game KK went mad with him at half time for just sitting and passing the ball sideways. He said if he wanted a defensive midfielder he’d play Peacock there or something. I think Batty scored after the break that game. He was a good player, far better than Clark.