General press coverage

Optimistic Nut

It's a worthwhile piece on its history to give more attention to the planning application currently under consideration by NCC for a large new building to effectively wrap around it, but the headline is stupid.

People are going on as if it’s being knocked down, not that it would be a bad idea in my opinion.

It’s not being knocked down though, in fact the owners of the pub are in favour of the development. In their opinion it will hopefully provide a drinking and eating place for the hundreds on employees being based in the building which would give them some sort of income on a non-match day.

If you look at the article, the pictures show that in the past the pub was surrounded and even connected to other buildings around in the past.

Douglas desperately trying to make out everything is cush on Twitter and peddling more “this time last season” bollocks.

Totally ignoring the fact the football is shite and we’re just bumbling from one game to the next with no long term goal.

I think that’s a very harsh assessment of what he’s said. His last tweet is actually “they’re not out of it by any stretch...”

He’s probably looking at it optimistically, but I think the point he’s trying to make is that there’s often wild overreaction on Twitter, to a couple of good wins or a couple of bad losses. Which is true, although hardly groundbreaking news.

The Strawberry is popular with home fans as it sells beer and is located very close to the stadium. [/Look Ma I’m a journalist]

:lol: :lol:

Principal Skinner is an old man who lives in the school. Lisa?

Lovely reference.

Been on to this before here, but it's beyond me that there isn't even more criticism directed towards the local media coverage of NUFC. It's failing everyone and everything. Maybe it's an outside perspective as I'm familiar with other sorts of football journalism in Sweden, more critically orientated and performed in a more open, available media climate, but jesus fucking christ.

They're not doing journalism. The Chronicle is a content bureau, masquerading as a newspaper. They haven't had one single news story of their own in years now, yet Lee Ryder's job description seems to be detailed towards hunting news. They're not capable of producing one percentage of anything resembling investigative journalism, yet they've had one of the most corrupt and shameful football clubs in Europe in front of their nose for more than twelve years now. Their opinion pieces are apologetic at best, there's no criticism of the actual problem at hand. This mentality serves one purpose, and that is to preserve access and keep good relationships with the people they're covering. But what are they getting back? Nothing. No exclusives, no stories, nothing. Nobody is saying anything interesting to them, nothing is worth reading. So why not switch to actual journalism? Go for them. Get banned, but be honest and do your job.

I mean, they all know what's going on. They know they're not reporting on a real football club, they know it's going nowhere, they know progressing into the 4th round of the FA cup by beating Rochdale isn't a sign of anything, they know all the season tickets were given away because people are walking away from the club, and that it's a sign of desperation. It should be portrayed as such, not as a "nice gesture". Fucking hell. They know Joelinton and most of our other senior players aren't performing because Bruce is grossly incompetent, yet they pretend it's about him and confidence, they pretend the "mood" has been lifted because we managed to overturn a League One club. They're just pretending, and that's not journalism.

Beautifully put but I'm not sure who you're referring to with the first paragraph? They're routinely criticised on here, I don't think a single poster would have a good word to say about the Chronicle these days.

Beautifully put but I'm not sure who you're referring to with the first paragraph? They're routinely criticised on here, I don't think a single poster would have a good word to say about the Chronicle these days.

Maybe I'm not on here enough anymore, but this needs to be an aspect reaching outside of this forum, not just to Twitter etc but broader platforms should point finger at them. I'm not sure who exactly though, maybe Football365 or other independent sites. Maybe even other papers. It really is part of the problem.

Been on to this before here, but it's beyond me that there isn't even more criticism directed towards the local media coverage of NUFC. It's failing everyone and everything. Maybe it's an outside perspective as I'm familiar with other sorts of football journalism in Sweden, more critically orientated and performed in a more open, available media climate, but jesus fucking christ.

They're not doing journalism. The Chronicle is a content bureau, masquerading as a newspaper. They haven't had one single news story of their own in years now, yet Lee Ryder's job description seems to be detailed towards hunting news. They're not capable of producing one percentage of anything resembling investigative journalism, yet they've had one of the most corrupt and shameful football clubs in Europe in front of their nose for more than twelve years now. Their opinion pieces are apologetic at best, there's no criticism of the actual problem at hand. This mentality serves one purpose, and that is to preserve access and keep good relationships with the people they're covering. But what are they getting back? Nothing. No exclusives, no stories, nothing. Nobody is saying anything interesting to them, nothing is worth reading. So why not switch to actual journalism? Go for them. Get banned, but be honest and do your job.

I mean, they all know what's going on. They know they're not reporting on a real football club, they know it's going nowhere, they know progressing into the 4th round of the FA cup by beating Rochdale isn't a sign of anything, they know all the season tickets were given away because people are walking away from the club, and that it's a sign of desperation. It should be portrayed as such, not as a "nice gesture". Fucking hell. They know Joelinton and most of our other senior players aren't performing because Bruce is grossly incompetent, yet they pretend it's about him and confidence, they pretend the "mood" has been lifted because we managed to overturn a League One club. They're just pretending, and that's not journalism.

That's absolutely spot on. 

Go for them. Get banned, but be honest and do your job.

Should be tweeted at every Chronicle 'journalist' in reply to every puff piece article they post.

I know you're a journalist yourself - and you've nailed it. Having worked in local newspapers myself, before a bit of a career change, I 100% agree with you. Given he's chief Newcastle United reporter, Lee Ryder is an embarrassment. He appears incapable of writing anything that isn't just a summary of a match he's watched or involves simply typing up quotes fed to him - without question.

I've worked at a paper, where the reporter covering the local club continually tried to press those at the top about dubious comments/promises they'd made to the fans. He knew he was pissing the club off, but it most definitely didn't stop him and they didn't ban him out of spite, like Ashley has done.

The issue is, they're a small part of a much wider media group. Reach PLC also own the MEN, Liverpool Echo, Birmingham Mail and many others. I'd be interested to see whether clubs in those cities are put under any level of scrutiny too.

It feels like the only scrutiny there'll ever really be - of any club - is from the national press. David Conn is one example.

Given clubs now operate their own media teams and are capable of producing their own written content, social media coverage and videos, they're not as reliant on local press. The local press need the club - to generate clicks and still shift a few hard copies - more than the clubs need them.

I know you're a journalist yourself - and you've nailed it. Having worked in local newspapers myself, before a bit of a career change, I 100% agree with you. Given he's chief Newcastle United reporter, Lee Ryder is an embarrassment. He appears incapable of writing anything that isn't just a summary of a match he's watched or involves simply typing up quotes fed to him - without question.

I've worked at a paper, where the reporter covering the local club continually tried to press those at the top about dubious comments/promises they'd made to the fans. He knew he was pissing the club off, but it most definitely didn't stop him and they didn't ban him out of spite, like Ashley has done.

The issue is, they're a small part of a much wider media group. Reach PLC also own the MEN, Liverpool Echo, Birmingham Mail and many others. I'd be interested to see whether clubs in those cities are put under any level of scrutiny too.

It feels like the only scrutiny there'll ever really be - of any club - is from the national press. David Conn is one example.

Given clubs now operate their own media teams and are capable of producing their own written content, social media coverage and videos, they're not as reliant on local press. The local press need the club - to generate clicks and still shift a few hard copies - more than the clubs need them.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/voice-echo-liverpool-fc-owners-3423942

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/voice-echo-liverpool-fc-owners-3423942

Published just under seven years ago. I'm not so sure you'd see something like that now.