The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest firetotheworks

Paul Clement sacked by Reading. I remember when a lot of people raved about him.

I've maintained that he's been absolute shit since day one. Fuck other people.

But Per Ciljan Skjelbred and Bob Bradley are definitely still brilliant. :lol:

Skjelbred's captain at a Bundesliga side and has played for them regularily for years, he's had a comfortable career. Bradley was shit in the PL but has done well elsewhere, my argument wasn't that he was amazing, it was that he had done enough in his prior gigs when taking the situation of the clubs into consideration to warrant a go at a big job (though the PL might've been too big a jump) - I've not disputed that he did shit once he got that chance, albeit he got sacked quickly and replaced by someone shitter. He's done well again with LAFC in their inaugeral season, outclassed the Galaxy with far less star power and money.

That said, with the benefit of hindsight, that seems to be his forte. Building very successful teams with little resources in smaller leagues. He's had a go at clubs with a lot of money twice and failed at both chances, so not sure he's one to trust in money rich leagues after all.

If we're judging it on careers rather than who is just shit or isn't then Clement's been at Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, and Bayern like. Canny good career.

Paul Clement sacked by Reading. I remember when a lot of people raved about him.

I've maintained that he's been absolute s*** since day one. f*** other people.

Skjelbred's captain at a Bundesliga side and has played for them regularily for years, he's had a comfortable career. Bradley was s*** in the PL but has done well elsewhere, my argument wasn't that he was amazing, it was that he had done enough in his prior gigs when taking the situation of the clubs into consideration to warrant a go at a big job (though the PL might've been too big a jump) - I've not disputed that he did s*** once he got that chance, albeit he got sacked quickly and replaced by someone shitter. He's done well again with LAFC in their inaugeral season, outclassed the Galaxy with far less star power and money.

That said, with the benefit of hindsight, that seems to be his forte. Building very successful teams with little resources in smaller leagues. He's had a go at clubs with a lot of money twice and failed at both chances, so not sure he's one to trust in money rich leagues after all.

If we're judging it on careers rather than who is just s*** or isn't then Clement's been at Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, and Bayern like. Canny good career.

Yeah but has he ever finished 4 th in Ligue 2?

Skjelbred's captain at a Bundesliga side and has played for them regularily for years, he's had a comfortable career. Bradley was shit in the PL but has done well elsewhere, my argument wasn't that he was amazing, it was that he had done enough in his prior gigs when taking the situation of the clubs into consideration to warrant a go at a big job (though the PL might've been too big a jump) - I've not disputed that he did shit once he got that chance, albeit he got sacked quickly and replaced by someone shitter. He's done well again with LAFC in their inaugeral season, outclassed the Galaxy with far less star power and money.

If we're judging it on careers rather than who is just shit or isn't then Clement's been at Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, and Bayern like. Canny good career.

I'm not disputing Clement might be an amazing assistant manager, and that's been at big clubs as one. Comparison here is as managers though, not assistants. Clement is a shit manager and was overhyped due to his career as assistant.

That said, I don't disagree that Derby hiring him was a valid choice at the time due to that hype. The fact Swansea, and especially Reading, did so after however was laughable. As he'd shown his hand, had issues with players and bad tactical implementation.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not disputing Clement might be an amazing assistant manager, and that's been at big clubs as one. Comparison here is as managers though, not assistants. Clement is a shit manager and was overhyped due to his career as assistant.

That said, I don't disagree that Derby hiring him was a valid choice at the time due to that hype. The fact Swansea, and especially Reading, did so after however was laughable. As he'd shown his hand, had issues with players and bad tactical implementation.

Okay then, Clement's been a manager at Swansea and Reading, he's had a decent career. He's also probably shit as a manager, as is Bob Bradley, as is Skjelbred as a player.

Okay then, Clement's been a manager at Swansea and Reading, he's had a decent career. He's also probably shit as a manager, as is Bob Bradley, as is Skjelbred as a player.

There's no reason to your argument though. Bradley's got a win percentage of 49.24 outside his time at Swansea. He's proven he can improve teams on essentially zero $ budgets. He failed at his attempt at the big time, so he shouldn't get one again unless he proves himself one more time with clubs in lesser leagues. Clement failed at his first gig at Derby due to falling out with players and got derided for his tactics. This is the guy Swansea then hires to replace someone who they just sacked from the job for the same reasons. The circumstances of their individual hiring at Swansea were different in that Bradley could be argued for having done well enough in his career to earn a shot, even thoigh he only got hired due to being American. Clement got hired after being shit, and then turned out shit. Bradley failing was not unexpected as he'd never been at a gig that size before, and arguably he should've at least had one more stable and succesful gig in a bigger league than Ligue 2, Tippeligaen and MLS before getting a shot at the PL (but then he skipped the que due to his American citizenship), but at least it was an interesting choice. Clement failing was always going to happen.

Skjelbred's got over 180 apps in the Bundesliga, he never made it to the massive clubs in the world, but he's had a very decent career. It's weird to suggest otherwise. Could he have made it at NUFC? At the time, I was uncertain, but always liked Skjelbred, and he was an NUFC fan, so of course I wanted to see him at NUFC. It's a bit like my love for Mitro in that regard. I can see the issues, but I still would want to have them in black and white. Based on his career I'd say he'd probably have done alright for a lower tier PL team, he never became good enough (imo) for mid-table/top sides.

Clement didn't fail at Derby like, had them 5th in the league, and got sacked due to the owners stupidity. :lol:

He played horrible, depressive, football and when he got sacked he was on an eight match winless run, looking like sliding out of the promotion fight in a season where Derby were one of the favourites ro go up. Players fell out with him as well. According to the owners he was sacked not due to poor points haul, but due to taking Derby in the wrong direction for a variety of reasons. Win percentage of 42.4 in a favourite for promotion isn't all that great either.

You can also argue he didn't fail at Swansea, given he kept them up when they were in the mire due to Bradleys incompetence.

Again, Bradley was horribly shit and an absolute failure at Swansea. His time spent there being perhaps one of the worst managerial performances in PL history. One thing does not however negate the other, meaning Bradley's shitness does not mean Clement is not shit.

I'm just saying I can understand how Bradley got hired (good performances in smaller leagues + American owners), whereas I do not understand it with them hiring Clement.

:lol: It's pointless discussing with certain posters. You can make well thought out points with stats to back them up, won't matter.

Again, Deila is a shit manager. I don't like Deila. He's a cunt and despicable human being. The point I was making back then is that I think Rodgers is vastly overrated and shit, and that he's not doing as well as he could given the praise he's getting. It's a one team league, yet with Rodgers as manager it kinda isn't. Celtic looked shit against the shittest version of Rosenborg in years, for instance. It should've been a rape. Cost me a shitton of money not winning -2.

Two managers can be shit at the same time. And I've even admitted to have extra dislike of Rodgers just for hating him, so my opinion on him vs Deila in a shit off is biased.

For the record, only Norwegian managers I genuinely like are Egil Olsen, Nils Arne Eggen and Kåre Ingebritsen. Olsen because he made Norway be not shit for the first time since the 30s. Eggen because he was in charge of Rosenborg during their glory days. Ingebritsen because he made Rosenborg play like Rosenborg again and is a likeable guy in general.

Everyone else are cunts. Especially Ronny Deila, Ole Gunnar Solskjær and Kjetil Rekdal.

As I said though, I happily admit that when it comes to Rodgers, my thinking he is shit is heavily influenced by my loathing him :lol: Objectively, I know Rodgers has done very well most places. He's a cunt though and therefore forever shit.

Rodgers clearly isn't a shit manager. Celtic went through a rough patch but will win it easily again and will probably make the knockouts of the Europa in a tough group

Didn't they go an entire domestic season both league and cups unbeaten under him? Which no matter the league is a fucking tough thing to do, just due to keeping the players motivated.

• 2 weeks later...