Teams managed

1999–2004 Wales

2004–2008 Blackburn Rovers

2008–2009 Manchester City

2010–2011 Fulham

2012 Queens Park Rangers

2013–2018 Stoke City

2018 Southampton

Genuinely thought he'd managed about twice as many clubs seeing as he's always in the process of being sacked.

Terrible news for us. He’s an awful manager and I’m confident he’d have taken them down.

Between him and Bruce to replace Rafa I'd guess.

Oh good god, Bruce and Hughes battling over who will become our next manager.

There are valid arguments to the question Sol poses regarding racism and it’s worthy of debate, especially when you consider that the likes of Giggs, Carrick, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard et al have all been given jobs as coaches or managers at various high levels despite a lack of experience. But then I look at one black ex top level player in Sol vs 5 or more white ex top level players looking to get jobs within the game in terms of numbers and it’s statistically obvious the white man is going to be represented more.

I do feel race is still an issue though in football outside of playing and something whether institutionally or not is a mountain somoene like Sol Campbell despite his career faces that non black’s will face or ever will when it comes to coaching, management or other roles in the game at clubs, within the FA or even at grassroots level.

Sol doesn’t help his own cause or that of others by playing the race card though in the manner he has and if he has to start at a Macclesfield and not a Derby or a Rangers because he’s black the best way forward for him and other non whites is by going in there and proving himself and being a trailblazer for change, opportunity, reform and above all else an inspiration in the way Cyril Regis was for example and Sol himself as a player no doubt was. If that’s the only way it’s better than no way.

I hope he does well and his success or even experience opens the doors for others. A lot of former black players have said they won’t even try to get into management or coaching because they will be overlooked in favour of white people, but I find that just as bad as racism or as damaging because by accepting that you do a great deal of diservice to those that follow.

Sol is in a privileged position because he can help change things, he can influence attitudes and mindsets and lead the way for others and help open doors and bring down barriers. For him he has to succeed you feel which isn’t fair, but life isn’t fair, again though he is in a position where he can help make life a bit fairer, for ex black players wanting to get into management and coaching.

In an ideal world skin colour wouldn’t even factor, but that’s not the case sadly and despite the huge shift in attitudes and mindsets over the years, racism does exist in football and favours a Gerrard managing Rangers over a Sol right now, but someone like Sol can help change all that. He can’t do it on his own though.

I feel for Sol. Been watching some interviews with him and the conversation will be going really well and then the interviewer will bring up the race thing. It's Sol's fault for bringing it up in the first place, but I hope it's not something that sticks with him throughout his career. You look at Sol and the guy has tremendous presense. He could be a top manager. Everything he said in his presser was correct.

He was one of my favorite players growing up. He knew he couldn't handle the pressures of Arsenal so he left and went to Portsmouth and still won a trophy. Wish Vincent Kompany would take note.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm sure there's a problem with racism, but I don't think that's been entirely the issue with Sol Campbell like, the bloke's an absolute weirdo.

I'm sure there's a problem with racism, but I don't think that's been entirely the issue with Sol Campbell like, the bloke's an absolute weirdo.

I also think he waited too long to get in. Lamapard, Gerrard, Carrick, whoever's been mentioned got in a year or two after retirement. Their stock was high.

Guest firetotheworks

Paul Clement sacked by Reading. I remember when a lot of people raved about him.

I've maintained that he's been absolute shit since day one. Fuck other people.

But Per Ciljan Skjelbred and Bob Bradley are definitely still brilliant. :lol:

Paul Clement sacked by Reading. I remember when a lot of people raved about him.

I've maintained that he's been absolute shit since day one. Fuck other people.

But Per Ciljan Skjelbred and Bob Bradley are definitely still brilliant. :lol:

Skjelbred's captain at a Bundesliga side and has played for them regularily for years, he's had a comfortable career. Bradley was shit in the PL but has done well elsewhere, my argument wasn't that he was amazing, it was that he had done enough in his prior gigs when taking the situation of the clubs into consideration to warrant a go at a big job (though the PL might've been too big a jump) - I've not disputed that he did shit once he got that chance, albeit he got sacked quickly and replaced by someone shitter. He's done well again with LAFC in their inaugeral season, outclassed the Galaxy with far less star power and money.

That said, with the benefit of hindsight, that seems to be his forte. Building very successful teams with little resources in smaller leagues. He's had a go at clubs with a lot of money twice and failed at both chances, so not sure he's one to trust in money rich leagues after all.