Joey Barton's Car Towed Away

Guest Geordiesned

Link

FOOTBALLER Joey Barton’s uninsured Range Rover was towed away as he shopped on Merseyside.

The silver 4x4 was spotted by police as part of their crackdown on vehicles with no insurance or tax.

Barton, 24, from Huyton, was back in Merseyside after undergoing a medical in Newcastle as part of his transfer from Manchester City.

The midfielder, who had been strongly linked with a move to Everton this summer, had to phone friends for a lift home from the Cable retail park in Prescot after it was seized.

His was one of 25 vehicles impounded during the crackdown which targeted illegal motorists in the Wallasey tunnel, Kirkby and Prescot.

Officers used an automatic number plate recognition computer (ANPR), which instantly scans number plates and can check whether vehicles may be involved in illegal activity or have no insurance or tax.

An eyewitness said: “It was a really big, flashy Range Rover which stood out in the car park. I wasn’t surprised when I heard it was a footballer’s, but couldn’t believe it had no insurance.”

It will cost Barton £105 to get the vehicle out of the car compound in Birkenhead plus £12 a day for the time it is there. Barton will be issued with a fixed penalty fine and have to get it insured.

Barton’s agent Willie McKay would not comment.

It is not the player’s first brush with the law.

Last month he was questioned by officers investigating an alleged training ground assault on team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

He claims to have been punched by the midfielder which left him suffering a suspected detached retina.

Barton was suspended until the end of the season when he announced he wanted a new club.

In September 2006, he was captured by television cameras exposing his bottom to Everton fans following Manchester City's injury-time equaliser at Goodison.

Police looked into it but took no further action but Barton was fined £2,000 and warned about his conduct by the FA.

Let's hope he doesn't kick the shit out of the traffic warden!

This is all Man City's fault. If they would just pay him his loyalty bonus, which he clearly deserves, then he could afford the insurance.

Lousy bastards they are.  :rant:

Guest Geordiesned

This is on par with Diouf not having a TV license! :lol:

I'd forgotten about that :lol: Didn't Diouf also claim Legal Aid?

Aye! In doing so as well he is largely responsible for the mess that the whole Legal Aid system is in today.

I think Ameobi was in a similar position, once. Thing is, when you're that rich, do you need the insurance? His wallet could probably pay for any damage caused.

I think Ameobi was in a similar position, once. Thing is, when you're that rich, do you need the insurance? His wallet could probably pay for any damage caused.

It's illegal to drive without insurance though.  :lol:

A curtailment of liberty, surely. You should be allowed to get your face smashed in when not taking appropriate precautions in car or on a motorbike, too.

A curtailment of liberty, surely. You should be allowed to get your face smashed in when not taking appropriate precautions in car or on a motorbike, too.

The main crux issue is that it nedds to be ensured that you have themeans to compensate  others involved in an accident.

The main crux issue is that it nedds to be ensured that you have themeans to compensate  others involved in an accident.

Its been claimed he earns £70,000 a week :lol: He could kill someone's entire family in a crash and buy them a new, better looking one with greater prospects from Poland.

Its been claimed he earns £70,000 a week :lol: He could kill someone's entire family in a crash and buy them a new, better looking one with greater prospects from Poland.

Yeah, but if Joey Barton is exempt, why not exemplify everyone, including Mr Chav McDole, who proceeds to fail to purchase insurance, and subsequently isn't able to pay a penny of compensation to the guy he proceeds to run over.

Yeah, but if Joey Barton is exempt, why not exemplify everyone, including Mr Chav McDole, who proceeds to fail to purchase insurance, and subsequently isn't able to pay a penny of compensation to the guy he proceeds to run over.

Convict on failure to fully recompense. A lucky few already have the means to, the rest can insure themselves as they (are supposed to) do, already. Ah... Jumpers for goalposts... I love a good footie discussion.