Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

There are so many possible factors at work here. There's more pressure on him to perform, following the Man U interest, opposition players are wise to him now, and he probably feels a greater sense of responsibility. Second season syndrome, basically. The sending off may also have inhibited him (his tackling looks a bit tentative now), and he's had a significant injury.

On a personal level, he's also seen his younger brother and rival for a place emerge into the picture, and on occasion, outshine him. I think he's also moved out of the family home, which of course is a major life-change.

Everyone dreams of being a sporting star, thinking it must be a great life. But there's plenty of evidence of the pressure and isolation that come in the wake of success, and he has to find the strength to deal with it.

Does the club employ a sports psychologist? I think he could benefit from some help from that direction.

I suspect that Bruce is loath to harm his confidence by demoting him to the Under 23's, particularly with his younger brother continuing in the first team.

I think most are missing the obvious point that he has gone from a world class manager coaching him to a dinosaur and he is struggling with that.

I don't think anyone are missing that point, which is why he has had a fairly easy ride so far without much criticism. He's young in terms of premier league games played, but at 22 he's not young in footballing terms. To some degree I feel like the things he did really well last season shouldn't be affected by the system/tactics. He looks slower, incapable of creating space for himself with the ball and doesn't pass the ball with the same accuracy and confidence. Don't think I've seen one attempted cross field pass from him this season - he had a couple of great ones last season. I doubt Bruce has specifically asked him not to attempt one. I hope it's just a dip in form/confidence but that hope gets slimmer every match he plays.

There are so many possible factors at work here. There's more pressure on him to perform, following the Man U interest, opposition players are wise to him now, and he probably feels a greater sense of responsibility. Second season syndrome, basically. The sending off may also have inhibited him (his tackling looks a bit tentative now), and he's had a significant injury.

On a personal level, he's also seen his younger brother and rival for a place emerge into the picture, and on occasion, outshine him. I think he's also moved out of the family home, which of course is a major life-change.

Everyone dreams of being a sporting star, thinking it must be a great life. But there's plenty of evidence of the pressure and isolation that come in the wake of success, and he has to find the strength to deal with it.

Does the club employ a sports psychologist? I think he could benefit from some help from that direction.

I suspect that Bruce is loath to harm his confidence by demoting him to the Under 23's, particularly with his younger brother continuing in the first team.

The players are free to have a chat with the girl in the ticket office.

I think most are missing the obvious point that he has gone from a world class manager coaching him to a dinosaur and he is struggling with that.

I don't think anyone are missing that point, which is why he has had a fairly easy ride so far without much criticism. He's young in terms of premier league games played, but at 22 he's not young in footballing terms. To some degree I feel like the things he did really well last season shouldn't be affected by the system/tactics. He looks slower, incapable of creating space for himself with the ball and doesn't pass the ball with the same accuracy and confidence. Don't think I've seen one attempted cross field pass from him this season - he had a couple of great ones last season. I doubt Bruce has specifically asked him not to attempt one. I hope it's just a dip in form/confidence but that hope gets slimmer every match he plays.

22 is young regardless of anything. If he'd started playing (regularly) at 17 he would have had these problems at 18. He's still young enough to make up the difference, he just has less time. And every minute wasted under the coaching of Bruce is a travesty.

22 is young regardless of anything. If he'd started playing (regularly) at 17 he would have had these problems at 18. He's still young enough to make up the difference, he just has less time. And every minute wasted under the coaching of Bruce is a travesty.

He’s had the benefit of a couple of good loan moves that some of our kids don’t get the benefit of too don’t forget.

Was good tonight. He’s not quite quick enough to play that far forward role at PL level but it could benefit to push him further up than he has been playing.

Quality of the opposition has to be a factor.

His brother was poor tonight though. Lost the ball too much.

Love that he and Matty can strike a ball with real pace and accuracy.

Matty has the look of Scholes about him to me. Not likely to ever be as good but if he plays his cards right he could easily be a double figure scoring CM in the PL.

Sean less so, though it's hard to judge atm given the season he's had. Last year you'd say the same.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think both long-term will never be really good enough, although right now for this current team they are/will be. Cracking strike mind last night and I think of the two, Sean needs a proper coach helping him the most to remain at this level or without, end up a League One or Championship player. Whereas his brother seems to be a player in the mould of Ritchie who because he’s busy and has lots of energy and work-rate etc he’ll probably have a more decent career being that kind of player for shitty teams like ours well coached or not. I’m delighted they seem to be doing so well or rather well enough, however, as young Geordie lads living the dream so to speak.

Our shape looked a lot better last night til Joelinton went off. The front 3 had more support and Bentaleb looks to pass forward which is nice. Long staff looked strong in the first half, second half it went to shit with no striker.

• 3 weeks later...