Alan Shearer

Weznufc

:lol: Nothing to do with all those 1-0 (Cantona) results? Well, that's me told like I wasn't there.

The 0-1 result at SJP against Man U was the main reason for our failing to win the 95/96 title.

We had absolutely murdered Man U in the first half - if it had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it but we failed to get a goal despite numerous chances(Schmeichel played the game of his life). Had just ONE gone in before HT I am convinced that we would have beaten them comfortably and they would have collapsed after it. Our one moment of concentration failure from that corner, which enabled Cantona to score lifted them from the depths of despair. They knew they had a chance after that and their experience under Ferguson was crucial.

Even then, we blew it at Anfield when we should have won and again at Blackburn.....we needed more 'Big Time' players for the following season and we signed Shearer but that was basically it and he missed several games through injury so we finished second again after KK walked in Jan 97.

We will never get as close to winning the PL as we did then unless something miraculous happens off the field.

:lol: Nothing to do with all those 1-0 (Cantona) results? Well, that's me told like I wasn't there.

The 0-1 result at SJP against Man U was the main reason for our failing to win the 95/96 title.

We had absolutely murdered Man U in the first half - if it had been a boxing match the ref would have stopped it but we failed to get a goal despite numerous chances(Schmeichel played the game of his life). Had just ONE gone in before HT I am convinced that we would have beaten them comfortably and they would have collapsed after it. Our one moment of concentration failure from that corner, which enabled Cantona to score lifted them from the depths of despair. They knew they had a chance after that and their experience under Ferguson was crucial.

Even then, we blew it at Anfield when we should have won and again at Blackburn.....we needed more 'Big Time' players for the following season and we signed Shearer but that was basically it and he missed several games through injury so we finished second again after KK walked in Jan 97.

We will never get as close to winning the PL as we did then unless something miraculous happens off the field.

That fucking goal, man.  I'll never forget that going in as long as I live.

There was one of them and Ferdinand missed chances. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Against us there was but for what seemed like weeks they would sneak 1-0 wins with Eric scoring.

Guest neesy111

There was another knock on effect from that great season. We were 'The entertainers' , everyone wanted to watch us and the neutrals wanted us to win. We launched Sky Sports on the road to where it is today.

:thup:

There was another knock on effect from that great season. We were 'The entertainers' , everyone wanted to watch us and the neutrals wanted us to win. We launched Sky Sports on the road to where it is today.

Not really true though, if you look at most forums  of other clubs they will tell you, this wasn't the case.

That's fair enough but it doesn't explain how we let a 12 points lead become a 4 point deficit.

That 1-0 was the decider ultimately. Even taking into consideration the 3-4, 1-2 at Rovers, 3-3 at City afterwards...if we win that game v Man Utd which we should have done, that point we got at Forest would have won us the league.

That's fair enough but it doesn't explain how we let a 12 points lead become a 4 point deficit.

That 1-0 was the decider ultimately. Even taking into consideration the 3-4, 1-2 at Rovers, 3-3 at City afterwards...if we win that game v Man Utd which we should have done, that point we got at Forest would have won us the league.

Yeah and Ferdinand's finishing in that game was poor.

Batty in, Clarke out - that was as much a reason as any for results dipping that season.  Clarkey played it forward whenever possible, whereas Batty was all about keeping possession and so didnt look for the forward pass as often, or as quickly.  The team was better at attacking quickly, Sir Les especially, and so just didnt do as well after that switch.

Not sure whether Shearer would have done any better than Les in that run in as it was, but I reckon he'd have argued for getting the ball forward more quickly as a basic tactic

I've always thought this. Clarke's contribution to our fluidity was over looked imo. He'd get the ball deep and look for Lee or Beardsley, we missed this when Batty came in.

Clark* howay man spell the lads name right.

• 1 month later...