Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I’m just sick and tired of points lost this season due to referees blatantly missing fouls, yellows, and clear cut reds. It’s insanity. We likely would be 6-8 pts higher by my quick guess.

Yep

Will VAR mean every decision will be correct? No.

Will it mean more are correct than now? Yes.

Nailed it :thup:

:thup:

Will VAR mean every decision will be correct? No.

Will it mean more are correct than now? Yes.

Thank fuck for it tbh, imagine going into next season knowing it would be more of the same :anguish:

I hope you're right but with all the money in the game right now and the well-known corruption of FIFA and UEFA, I do wonder why they were so desperate to bring it in. If the game is indeed dirty (for now I think it's just refs fearing big clubs and media backlash so they default to giving it the way of top sides when in doubt) then it's simply an extra tool to make sure results go the way they want. Would they have even checked the Fabinho dive? In the world cup final, the biggest game of all with all eyes on them, Griezmann dived for a free kick (no contact whatsoever) and France scored directly off the free kick. VAR simply ignored it.

Things are so bad right now I don't think VAR can make it any worse, but I am sceptical about why proven corrupt organisations wanted it in so badly.

PS. Here's the Griezmann world cup final dive that they just ignored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NrVy3FzRfs

VAR is only used for penalties, red cards and goals

They’d have to check literally everything if they did it for free kicks too

Fair enough but that of course means that diving outside the box won't change at all next season. VAR's been a mixed bag but has been very well used in some games. What's frustrating is that all these replays haven't been used to retrospectively punish divers with bans. The Premier League for example set up a diving panel and have basically done nothing with it despite so many clear cut cases.

I wonder how many more points we'd have if it was involved this season.

It will at least stop linesmen giving the benefit of the doubt to the 'big' teams in close offsides etc.

Offside is the main reason it needed bringing in, it's a matter of fact not opinion like penalties and reds.

I wonder how many more points we'd have if it was involved this season.

It will at least stop linesmen giving the benefit of the doubt to the 'big' teams in close offsides etc.

Offside is the main reason it needed bringing in, it's a matter of fact not opinion like penalties and reds.

We’d have had an extra 5 from Wolves alone.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Apparently FIFA want to change the offside rule where offsides will be judged if there is clear daylight between players.

I hope that is just their way of saying offsides need to be clear and obvious because that will be just as bad as what is happening now with VAR calling offsides by the smallest of margins.

Yeah cant remember why it was changed? Makes sense tho as it fits in better with other rules (all of the ball needs to be over all of the line for a goal, etc) and won't need a few minutes for intricate lines to be compared for VAR to decide if its offside

Yeah cant remember why it was changed? Makes sense tho as it fits in better with other rules (all of the ball needs to be over all of the line for a goal, etc) and won't need a few minutes for intricate lines to be compared for VAR to decide if its offside

It was changed because it was felt to give too much advantage to the attacking side. Circumstances have changed though, and surely a minor advantage is better than the current state of random chaos.

The problem isn't the distance you are measuring but what you are measuring. It makes no difference if you set the rule as a striker being level or clear daylight if there is no consistent and speedy measurement available. Even if FIFA say clear and obvious then what is 'clear and obvious' to one set of eyes will not be the same as another. I would suggest a gps tracker in the shirt (or boots) so that a computer can quickly say if a player was onside or not. Use goal line technology to track whether a ball is in-play or not and then you don't have to have linesmen, but maybe additional referees. The problem isn't the technology but the humans using the technology.

Whatever happened to the idea that football should be the same game whether it is a premier league game, non-league game or even an organised Sunday league game?

We're rapidly going down the route of trying to put perfection into a situation where it is impossible to have, and its ruining the whole idea of the game as well as making it a different game in the Premier League vs League 1 etc.

Var TV used for first time in palace vs derby match.

I still thought he got it wrong! Huddlestone pushes him over. Kicks him on the ground then when Mijolevic kicks him back he gets sent off. Plus he hardly touched him

It all seemed staged too that its the oliver the golden child of refs thats the first to do it.  Or am i being cynical

Var TV used for first time in palace vs derby match.

I still thought he got it wrong! Huddlestone pushes him over. Kicks him on the ground then when Mijolevic kicks him back he gets sent off. Plus he hardly touched him

It all seemed staged too that its the oliver the golden child of refs thats the first to do it.  Or am i being cynical

You forgot the (attempted) headbutt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...