Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Didn't see much of note from him all game, but a fantastic goal. Very appropriate for pantomime season. Offside? Oh no, he isn't.

Note that with both center halves completely stopped and the goalkeeper standing there pointing to the linesman, his shot for the goal was rated on expected goals as "0.32". That's less than half a penalty, or the less than the Burnie header after 10 minutes. ASM's goal was a "0.06", suggesting you'll only score one in sixteen from there. I like the idea of expected goals, but the execution needs much more work.

He seems to have really stepped up in the captains role. I noticed towards the end he ran up to Fernandez to praise him for shielding the ball out of play. In the past he would have just been plodding around with his head down.

I like him and he’s got real Premier League quality but he’s been awful for a while. Hopefully the last few games is the start of a big season for him.

Just because we won every player played well? Did well for the goal otherwise pretty poor imo

It's not that, it's just that regardless of what he does people come in here and slate him and it's ridiculous. The one attribute that separates £10m players from £50m is end product and Shelvey has it.

Even the best players can have a shit 80 minutes but when that one chance comes their way they take it and win the game. I've seen Messi marked out of games and then spark into life in a split second and snatch all 3 points. I'm not comparing the two players, but Shelvey has won us games this season on his own. Is he perfect? No, but i'd rather he was in the team for moments like the Man City one, last night's and the freekick against West Ham.

Just because we won every player played well? Did well for the goal otherwise pretty poor imo

It's not that, it's just that regardless of what he does people come in here and slate him and it's ridiculous. The one attribute that separates £10m players from £50m is end product and Shelvey has it.

Even the best players can have a shit 80 minutes but when that one chance comes their way they take it and win the game. I've seen Messi marked out of games and then spark into life in a split second and snatch all 3 points. I'm not comparing the two players, but Shelvey has won us games this season on his own. Is he perfect? No, but i'd rather he was in the team for moments like the Man City one, last night's and the freekick against West Ham.

Don't be stupid, not everyone says he's shite regardless of how good or bad he has played. I praised him after the game against West Ham just to name one time.

Shelvey has always had quality the problem has been getting consistency out of him. If he plays well for a period he can be a real difference maker but some games you can't trust him to do the midfield work he needs to do (especially when deployed in a midfield 2). If he keeps playing like this fair play to him but he will drift, which I think is why Rafa lost patience with him, how was he supposed to play him when he didn't know which one would turn up? Bruce will play him till he's rubbish 3 games in a row then drop him, which could be 9 points dropped. In a midfield 3 you maybe can afford for him to not be paying attention for the defensive side but not in this team. Makes me miss cabaye whom never shirked the defensive side.

Regardless, fair play to Bruce for getting Shelvey playing well again, maybe this time it will stick.

this is a classic shelvey "purple patch", was stood watching man city score bent over with his hands on his knees as per usual :lol:

difference is he's added a bit of end product for a couple of games, fair play to him, but no one should be under any illusions that wheels aren't gonna come off

It was a text book header, from that far out it had to be directed pretty well to beat the keeper.

Personally speaking I still think we would be better with Longstaff in the side.

I don't think longstaff got enough credit for the second goal, 30 yards out, great strike. Not many in our squad could do that

Most people in our squad would have skied that over. Longstaff hit it with such venom that the keeper had to make the catch, deflect it away for maybe a corner, or spill it. I thought it was fantastic technique by Sean.

It was a text book header, from that far out it had to be directed pretty well to beat the keeper.

Personally speaking I still think we would be better with Longstaff in the side.

I don't think longstaff got enough credit for the second goal, 30 yards out, great strike. Not many in our squad could do that

And yet it doesn’t get credited as an assist. It’s crazy.

Most people in our squad would have skied that over. Longstaff hit it with such venom that the keeper had to make the catch, deflect it away for maybe a corner, or spill it. I thought it was fantastic technique by Sean.

Very similar to the Perez goal v Everton last season.

And yet it doesn’t get credited as an assist. It’s crazy.

Do you know what an assist is?

I'd drop Hayden for Longstaff. He's just a better all round player.

I'd drop Hayden for Longstaff. He's just a better all round player.

Hayden does all the hard work necessary from a midfielder which allows us to carry a player like Shelvey. I thought when Hayden and Lonstaff were together, we actually were controlling the midfield in the latter stages of last season.