Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Carroll had scored goals in the PL too, by the way.

Equalised at Stoke late in the relegation season, think he'd scored against West Ham as well.

Yep, at City too under Kinnear when the Given thing was kicking off.

Carroll was one of those I was unsure of tbh. While he looked like he had two left feet when he was running with the ball  I can remember he scored a pretty smart finish where he cracked a left footer low into the corner of the net. I haven't seen that from Mitro at all. He's decent as a target man, but he looks like a player who is more comfortable with his back to goal. Too early to write him off, but we shouldn't be relying on him for goals if we want promotion first time of asking next season.

Liverpool when we put three past them, I even did a pic in the 'Football in Paint' thread on it :)

That was the game where Pardew took all the credit for Hughton's work wasn't it? :lol:

Now the stupid cunt is trying to talk up Dwight Gayle after ignoring him for most of the season in favour of Connor Whickam.

Guest firetotheworks

As good as he was in the Championship, I was still really dubious about him until we were promoted because despite his quality, he's really not my type of player. He is now though because he made his style of play just so enjoyable to watch. Watching him batter centre halves all over and be ridiculously dominant in the air was just an absolute joy. The moment for me was that header from a free kick against Wolves, I think I described it at the time as being a header that would get a lass pregnant, and it really was, we all fucking loved him in that season.

Guest firetotheworks

Some of the posts from that match thread, including one from me:

just one negative to mention, Carroll, that was fucking embarassing, i could teach a monkey to run at a man in possesion of a football, he never moved his arse once. if he thinks that the only job he needed to do was get on the end of long balls then he shouldnt be anywhere near a football team.

Carroll :lol: Utter shite.

Shola might be shite but when you put him up against Carroll, he looks like Shearer reincarnate.

Carroll is useless. Jogs around, does nothing, can't head the ball.

Geez Carroll is making me want to have Ameobi back, which is quite something

I have a better touch than Carroll - hes awful.

Carroll is absolute wank btw.

:lol: He was shocking like.

This is even more shocking.

Duff MOTM for me.

As good as he was in the Championship, I was still really dubious about him until we were promoted because despite his quality, he's really not my type of player. He is now though because he made his style of play just so enjoyable to watch. Watching him batter centre halves all over and be ridiculously dominant in the air was just an absolute joy. The moment for me was that header from a free kick against Wolves, I think I described it at the time as being a header that would get a lass pregnant, and it really was, we all f***ing loved him in that season.

So maybe it was a confidence thing, maybe it was right place/time or down to the players around him. None of us know but I've seen enough Mitrovich to think there's the possibility of the same thing happening to him. I doubt Carroll would have made it through had we been in the PL.

Yeah it did. He was pretty poor at the start of The Championship season.

Everything suddenly seemed to click for him after he scored twice against WBA in the cup. Remember when he came on against Man City at home and was a complete waste of time, everybody was absolutely foaming with him. :lol:

I was one of them, that performance was a catastrophe

• 4 weeks later...

I miss how when he played for us and we scored away from home in the relative silence, if he was in/around the box you'd often hear Shearer's YEEEAAHHH - often when it was someone else who'd scored.

(e.g. I think it's that you can hear on the first and second when we won 3-1 at Highbury)

I miss how when he played for us and we scored away from home in the relative silence, if he was in/around the box you'd often hear Shearer's YEEEAAHHH - often when it was someone else who'd scored.

(e.g. I think it's that you can hear on the first and second when we won 3-1 at Highbury)

Yeah, I noticed this on quite a few occasions.

He predicted Rafa would be off. He was surprised. That must be why he ended up at Southampton and Blackburn Rovers before landing up here in the Keegan era then. Nothing to do with money then.

Laurent Robert vs Everton at Goodison

Oh aye :lol:

Just watched it on Sewelly's Robert compilation. Close to tears :'(

Guest Howaythetoon

Robert and Bellamy both saved shearers career IMO.

It was a three way thing like, take away Shearer and they aren't have the players they were.

Guest chicken little

fucking soundtrack tho

Robert and Bellamy both saved shearers career IMO.

It was a three way thing like, take away Shearer and they aren't have the players they were.

Was going to say, a bit harsh to say it was a one way street. Shearer will be the first to admit he relied on service for most of his game. Bellamy was his legs, but defenders knew they couldnt over commit and leave Shearer alone. Robert continued what Solano, Wilcox, Le Saux, Gillespie... had done before him in provide consistently good service. The Shearer of 01-04 was still a pretty deadly finisher.

I suppose Bobby was the one who recognised what was needed and put it all together.

Oh aye :lol:

Screams on gol #31 against Liverpool too

'Saved his career,' urgh. He was a quality player, had quality players around him and scored shitloads of goals. No one saved anyone's careers; we were a damn good side under Bobby for at least two seasons. Shearer scored 28 the following year when Bellamy made the pitch btw (and, granted when Robert was in brilliant form).