General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest Howaythetoon

I was watching Shearer on Soccerbox on Sunday and it doesn't really tie in with your story. Shearer met with Keegan and then Ferguson and Shearer was 90% certain he was going to Man Utd. Keegan rang again and asked for another half hour with Shearer to convince him to sign - and succeeded.

He has said many conflicting things as have others. He did speak to Man Utd (players could speak to clubs back then without club’s permissions like now). Walker would have sold for less to anyone other than Man Utd and made it almost impossible for them to deal with him. NUFC/S&N/Adidas would have paid whatever it took together to get Shearer. Once KK had his magic way there was no chance Shearer was going anywhere but home full stop.

People forget at that time, although they were the Champions, we were regarded as the more ambitious and more likely to dethrone them and go on to keep winning. Shearer absolutely made the right decision not just in terms of his own ambitions as a player but financially and of course in terms of his family.

It never quite worked out as intended, but I’m sure glad I got to see him in our number 9 banging them in.

I was watching Shearer on Soccerbox on Sunday and it doesn't really tie in with your story. Shearer met with Keegan and then Ferguson and Shearer was 90% certain he was going to Man Utd. Keegan rang again and asked for another half hour with Shearer to convince him to sign - and succeeded.

He has said many conflicting things as have others. He did speak to Man Utd (players could speak to clubs back then without club’s permissions like now). Walker would have sold for less to anyone other than Man Utd and made it almost impossible for them to deal with him. NUFC/S&N/Adidas would have paid whatever it took together to get Shearer. Once KK had his magic way there was no chance Shearer was going anywhere but home full stop.

People forget at that time, although they were the Champions, we were regarded as the more ambitious and more likely to dethrone them and go on to keep winning. Shearer absolutely made the right decision not just in terms of his own ambitions as a player but financially and of course in terms of his family.

It never quite worked out as intended, but I’m sure glad I got to see him in our number 9 banging them in.

Hypothetical here - if Shearer stayed fit in the 96/97 and KK stayed on full season would we have won the league? What would 97/98 look with KK at helm, and only certain areas of the team upgraded?

Guest Howaythetoon

Hypothetical here - if Shearer stayed fit in the 96/97 and KK stayed on full season would we have won the league? What would 97/98 look with KK at helm, and only certain areas of the team upgraded?

We were a few points off when he quit and had just beaten Spurs 7-1, I think we’d have went close again. KK stays and we kept investing and we win major honours. Appoint SBR and not Dalglish and we win something. Just look at what SBR did after season two here with a worse squad.

We were a few points off when he quit and had just beaten Spurs 7-1, I think we’d have went close again. KK stays and we kept investing and we win major honours. Appoint SBR and not Dalglish and we win something. Just look at what SBR did after season two here with a worse squad.

Or if we had got Van Gaal over Dalglish.

no we always find ways to not win things

Guest Howaythetoon

We were after Fergie too who used our interest to get a better deal/more spending at Man Utd. He was tempted too. Bet he regrets that now :lol:

At that time we could have had our pick, Dalglish was the safe option and was well supported in the dressing room...

were people excited about Kenny? given he was a title winner and a huge name? I just remember being convinced by my dad and uncle that Kenny was a huge name and Newcastle would be fine. Again for context, I basically followed us like in delay - weekend update via the sports paper in Tampa, the random espn 2 show on weekends recap like a week later and/or phone calls from family who lived in England :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

My dad was gutted when he read an article recently saying that we were close to signing Gheorge Hagi, not sure he's going to survive me telling him we could have got Cruyff

KK said during the WC USA 94 he’d love to sign Hagi and Stoichkov, two of my all-time absolute faves man. Those were amazing times to be a NUFC fan and there wasn’t a top player on earth we couldn’t afford or wouldn’t have been interested in.

My dad was gutted when he read an article recently saying that we were close to signing Gheorge Hagi, not sure he's going to survive me telling him we could have got Cruyff

KK said during the WC USA 94 he’d love to sign Hagi and Stoichkov, two of my all-time absolute faves man. Those were amazing times to be a NUFC fan and there wasn’t a top player on earth we couldn’t afford or wouldn’t have been interested in.

The Baggio shirt in the car incident  :D

Great days - a travesty we never won anything!

Been listening to a Swedish football podcast called When We Were Kings. The latest episode handles NUFC, in particular the 95-96 season but also the uniqueness of Newcastle as a city, Geordies, Kevin Keegan and his grandfather who saved I don’t know how many miners from the West Stanley Pit disaster, David Ginola, Tino and a lot more. Great listen, but also very sad. We really were a special club back then, now we’re not even a proper football club.

Been listening to a Swedish football podcast called When We Were Kings. The latest episode handles NUFC, in particular the 95-96 season but also the uniqueness of Newcastle as a city, Geordies, Kevin Keegan and his grandfather who saved I don’t know how many miners from the West Stanley Pit disaster, David Ginola, Tino and a lot more. Great listen, but also very sad. We really were a special club back then, now we’re not even a proper football club.

Not sure I can take listening to it :undecided: :lol:

Guest chopey

I loved Andy Cole and we totally played to his strengths but I still think Ferdinand was the better player and Keegan was totally justified in selling him, I remember been furious at the time though.

Guest neesy111

I loved Andy Cole and we totally played to his strengths but I still think Ferdinand was the better player and Keegan was totally justified in selling him, I remember been furious at the time though.

Yeap, I agree with this.

Cole won a lot more than Ferdinand. he was a simply a better player. people look at Sir Les through rose tinted glasses. Cole was immense for us and should NEVER have been sold. subsequent events proved that.