General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Acuna was underrated imo

I was only 10 or so when we signed him. I can remember him scoring v Leeds (twice, maybe?).

I enjoy reading some of the old match reports on nufc.com from their On This Day in History section - they were never too complimentary on Acuna.

Guest Howaythetoon

Acuna was underrated imo

THIS. Sign him at 23 or something and he’d have been one hell of a player for us.

Domi was another, arguably the most competent LB I’ve seen for us as a footballer and then full-back. Just lacked the right attitude. Under KK or SBR he could have been our Evra. I mean Bernard was turned into a very good attacking FB and he wasn’t half as talented as Domi.

Guest Howaythetoon

nufc.com have a lot of pathetic grudges against ex players.

They seem to have grudges against everyone. Constant digs at Rafa even when he was manager, they used to slag Bruce rotten when he was Bag Puss at Birmingham or the mackems, they’ve went easy on him this year.

They look for any fault to have a dig or a snipe at. From KK to whoever. They love a dig at forums and social media fan outlets too.

In their defence though, they are doing no different than you or I, offering an opinion and as a resource in terms of records, stats, info and such, they are second to none. I’d hire them tomorrow if I Owned the club to run the club’s online website.

It’s the sitting on the fence I really hate the most. Have some balls.

nufc.com have a lot of pathetic grudges against ex players.

They seem to have grudges against everyone. Constant digs at Rafa even when he was manager, they used to slag Bruce rotten when he was Bag Puss at Birmingham or the mackems, they’ve went easy on him this year.

They look for any fault to have a dig or a snipe at. From KK to whoever. They love a dig at forums and social media fan outlets too.

In their defence though, they are doing no different than you or I, offering an opinion and as a resource in terms of records, stats, info and such, they are second to none. I’d hire them tomorrow if I Owned the club to run the club’s online website.

It’s the sitting on the fence I really hate the most. Have some balls.

They're probably just two middle-aged blokes that get pissed at the match and whinge about us being shite. Don't see the problem mesel!

Guest Howaythetoon

I wasn't around these parts during Milner's time but I remember some fans on other forums slating him every match. He was one of my favorite players his final year here.

Milner was obviously, looking back, wrongly/badly used while here especially given his age and inexperience. He’s aged well in terms of his game though and become a consistent performer who does the simple things well using his work rate, selflessness and experience. When he was with us, he would frustrate because he’d try and beat his man with a trick or a feint but had zero pace or actual flair so it just looked shit. He could actually cross a ball though. Had he been converted to a full-back earlier on right at the start, he’d have been a top-class one IMO.

I wasn't around these parts during Milner's time but I remember some fans on other forums slating him every match. He was one of my favorite players his final year here.

Milner was obviously, looking back, wrongly/badly used while here especially given his age and inexperience. He’s aged well in terms of his game though and become a consistent performer who does the simple things well using his work rate, selflessness and experience. When he was with us, he would frustrate because he’d try and beat his man with a trick or a feint but had zero pace or actual flair so it just looked shit. He could actually cross a ball though. Had he been converted to a full-back earlier on right at the start, he’d have been a top-class one IMO.

Being managed by Souness and told "you won't win anything with a team full of Milners" wouldn't have helped. We signed him in 2004 and by 2008 he had been managed by Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Keegan. Hardly would have helped - I'm sure Allardyce said he was never a right winger, too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Definitely agree about Domi. He was on a par with Bernard & Enrique for me. Class player.

He was the best of the two combined for me, Bernard offensively and Enrique defensively. He was like a winger at times going forward as well and super quick when he got going. Such a wasted talent.

I thought Distin was massively underrated too. I was gutted we didn’t sign him permanently after his loan spell. He could play either side of CB and LB and alongside a fit Woodgate would have given us our Rio/Vidic type duo.

Viana was massively underrated too, in a sense he was underused and under valued as what he could give a team. He arrived too early for the kind of league in play back then, fast, touch tackling, direct. Veron similar.

Today they’d be outstanding playmakers of the PL.

I thought Tino’s work-rate was underrated too, he tracked back, tried to tackle and often went looking for the ball rather than just waiting for it. Ginola was the opposite :lol:

After he signed the players were shocked how much he liked to tackle in training. Tino himself said what did they expect, he was from Columbia and had to fight for everything and got kicked far worse in Italy.

Watch how hard he worked in the West Ham (home) match or the Barca match on and off the ball, arguably his two best performances for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Being managed by Souness and told "you won't win anything with a team full of Milners" wouldn't have helped. We signed him in 2004 and by 2008 he had been managed by Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Keegan. Hardly would have helped - I'm sure Allardyce said he was never a right winger, too.

KK practically resigned because they sold Milner, a player he wanted to build a team around by adding quality around. The future of his team and NUFC. Funny how he had this knack of seeing things in players others didn’t... not bad for a tactical no nowt!

Guest Howaythetoon

Viana bottled a massive 50/50 in the UEFA semi that led to Drogba's first goal.

Aye. That was unforgettable. He never recovered. A few players bottled that season to be honest, Sir Bobby himself at times too.

Guest Howaythetoon

Helder... again had we had Bobby earlier and signed him at his peak, he’d have been a hell of a player for us

I thought Ambrose had a lot to his game too. He wasn’t a winger as such or a central midfielder. I thought he could have been more like a poor man’s Robert as he was direct, could shoot and could knock a ball past his man without needing a trick or skill to beat a player and whip a ball in.

Of all the players we’ve signed who I thought on talent alone we had an extra special player in the making though, I’d go for Viana. Every bit as talented as say David Silva or Bruno Fernandez the new lad at Man Utd with the ball, but without that drive, strength of mind and work-rate needed to put into his game like they had/have.

I look at how good Cabaye was for us for example under a terrible manager in a disjointed team with zero ambition and think how much better a Viana today would fare even in Bruce’s current team. Very similar style to Shelvey but with flair, able to carry the ball and play the simple game well and those Hollywood balls, at a slow or quick tempo. Just don’t ask him to tackle or run and run.

Wrong player full stop for us and for the league back then, coupled with no real get up and go that meant he never fulfilled that amazing talent of his with a more than meaningful career you could call a successful one wherever he went. Shame!

Emre was a similar could have been player for us. With him though it was more about fitness, recklessness and being managed by Souness in a team that never allowed his own game to shine the most, where he had to chase, tackle, foul, cover and run around more. Emre under Rafa would have been a different story for example. Viana you feel would probably, like Shelvey, perform better under a Bruce than any. Never to any real high standard though.

Bobby signing Viana showed a glimpse of how he wanted us to eventually play with one eye on Europe where his game would benefit us the most and also his vision of how our game was heading where a Viana would shine. He didn’t have the time to put that to the test of course in the end and frankly neither the team around him nor quite the capability tactically even if he had. Give me someone who thinks ahead, has an idea of what to do and wants to give it a go though any day of the week. He was such a clever man, and Viana was such a clever player.

He could have been our Pirlo!

He was regarded as one of the hottest prospects in the game at the time, we wanted both him and Ronaldo and back then we were always in the market for such players, young or established, British or foreign.

HTT[/member] love when you recount the old times man, a well of knowledge on the Toon :thup:

I'd def agree on Acuna, Domi. I had high hopes for the random signings - Daniel Cordone, Andreas Anderson. :lol: