Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Wonder why it's all gone wrong. His stock will have plummeted now, you'd think. Didn't work at Real Madrid. Then Newcastle - and all the utter w*** that comes with associating with this piece of s*** club, plus the agenda that mounted against him from the media - then failure in China. Makes you wonder what calibre of job he's likely to get when he does come back to Europe. Some lucky t***s mid-table in Spain, Italy or France will end up with him, I reckon.

Given the foreign player caps, I suppose he's at the whim of how good the Chinese players are (by the sounds of it shit).

I imagine that's the same for all the clubs in that league though, it's not much of an excuse. I wonder if his more restrictive style is maybe too alien over there and the Chinese players have had problems adopting it?

• 3 weeks later...
When his contract is finished in China at the end of next year, he will be looking for a position in Europe with a club that is capable of winning silverware.

That rules out a return to us then :lol:

Benitez sees the task as part of a much bigger role, though. He is channelling his notorious work ethic into trying to create a legacy in north-east China. Much of his time has been spent attempting to build an infrastructure that will remain after he departs Dalian. Some of that has been interrupted by the pandemic – last year he brought in Spanish coaches to work with players from across the age groups – but he is keen to continue the process. He has also helped oversee the development of a £250million training complex that is considerably better and more modern that the facilities at his last Premier League job.

MERCENARY!

I wouldn't want him to risk his legacy by coming back to Newcastle, even if a takeover happened. I'm so conflicted on it though. On one side, he helped unify the fans against Ashley, sharing the ambitious spirit that we naturally have. The facilities, his signings, his cup wins all justified his project that he wanted to build. The other side, I wouldn't want things to turn sour and we're left with a bittersweet impression of him. I want him to be remembered as a hopeful figure who gave us what could have been, a glimpse of what a post-Saudi or whatever takeover could be. In China, he wants to leave a legacy too, the article mentions the £250m invested in the facilities to be a transformative man in Dalian's history. He's more than a manager in that sense. It's more than the pitch-side scene and I love that. He does care about the clubs he manages and wants them to improve meticulously in line with his vision, and that's rare of a manager in the modern era. You don't give managers a 5, 10-year project and stand by them. A string of poor results and your neck is on the line, and that project is over before it's begun. A manager like Rafa, but not necessarily him (though if he fancies a non-managerial role in the future, perhaps after he's stopped managing at 70, all for it).

Just bring him home. Whatever the risks, he deserves the chance to stick to the numpties that talked about negative football and laud Bruce. Give him what he wants (Saudi takeover dependent) and he will win us something.

I wouldn't want him to risk his legacy by coming back to Newcastle, even if a takeover happened. I'm so conflicted on it though. On one side, he helped unify the fans against Ashley, sharing the ambitious spirit that we naturally have. The facilities, his signings, his cup wins all justified his project that he wanted to build. The other side, I wouldn't want things to turn sour and we're left with a bittersweet impression of him. I want him to be remembered as a hopeful figure who gave us what could have been, a glimpse of what a post-Saudi or whatever takeover could be. In China, he wants to leave a legacy too, the article mentions the £250m invested in the facilities to be a transformative man in Dalian's history. He's more than a manager in that sense. It's more than the pitch-side scene and I love that. He does care about the clubs he manages and wants them to improve meticulously in line with his vision, and that's rare of a manager in the modern era. You don't give managers a 5, 10-year project and stand by them. A string of poor results and your neck is on the line, and that project is over before it's begun. A manager like Rafa, but not necessarily him (though if he fancies a non-managerial role in the future, perhaps after he's stopped managing at 70, all for it).

Did you get enough sleep last night?

Did you get enough sleep last night?

His post helped me nod off though.

• 3 weeks later...