Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Both those figures are a bit misguided, because NUST haven't actually raised any money at all yet.

That's why it says 'pledged'

But the money hasn't been pledged. NUST were only asking for expressions of interest, and were encouraging people to come forward by stressing that there was no obligation attached to registering.

If the money really had been pledged, then it would be fair enough to say it had been raised, because a pledge in its true sense is a guarantee.

Am assuming you mean my figures? I am as sceptical as you in that regard, i just put the absolute minimun for it

My point wasn't about the ultimate target figure - your guess is as good as mine on that. I interpreted your and Chris's statements as meaning that there was still a long way to go, even though £50 million could be knocked off it. I was just pointing out that NUST hadn't raised any money at all yet, let alone £50 million.

Am with you there, my point was that it would have to be £300m before Ashley played ball

Ashley is only intersted in making money, why would he hold out for £300m if the club isn't worth it?

You really think he will throw away the £200m he paid over the £139m? As always Ashley will want his full return

I'm sure he'd like £500m if he could get it. as a business man though he'll probably take the best he can get, which isn't £339m. Unless you know better.

Guest Roger Kint

Both those figures are a bit misguided, because NUST haven't actually raised any money at all yet.

That's why it says 'pledged'

But the money hasn't been pledged. NUST were only asking for expressions of interest, and were encouraging people to come forward by stressing that there was no obligation attached to registering.

If the money really had been pledged, then it would be fair enough to say it had been raised, because a pledge in its true sense is a guarantee.

Am assuming you mean my figures? I am as sceptical as you in that regard, i just put the absolute minimun for it

My point wasn't about the ultimate target figure - your guess is as good as mine on that. I interpreted your and Chris's statements as meaning that there was still a long way to go, even though £50 million could be knocked off it. I was just pointing out that NUST hadn't raised any money at all yet, let alone £50 million.

Am with you there, my point was that it would have to be £300m before Ashley played ball

Ashley is only intersted in making money, why would he hold out for £300m if the club isn't worth it?

You really think he will throw away the £200m he paid over the £139m? As always Ashley will want his full return

I'm sure he'd like £500m if he could get it. as a business man though he'll probably take the best he can get, which isn't £339m. Unless you know better.

He put £300m in, he will try to take that much out one way or another

The Times "understands" that 6,000 people have declared intent to support "and the NUST’s financial advisors have cautioned that up to half of the pledges may not be followed through". So this current guess puts the number of potential backers at around 3,000.

“The take-up has been astounding and demonstrates fans have the appetite to back the ‘Yes We Can’ campaign,” a source close to the NUST said last night.

Based on the above figures I would beg to differ. 3,000 is a tiny number considering the club has a fan base of more than 100,000. It means less than 3% of fans prepared to back the scheme meaning it would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

All the above is of course conjecture and hearsay, but possibly not too far wide of the mark and with no real information coming from the NUST theres little else to go on.

We still look forward to hearing the names of the significant local businesses and institutions are who are backing the scheme - now scheduled to be released mid January - let's hope they can save the scheme, but a guesstimate of 3,000 supporters backing it hardly realises the dream of true fan ownership.

I wonder if this could end up like the 1980's buy a player scheme which was a bold campaign started by fans' representatives with the aim of raising £100,000 to buy a player for the cash strapped club as the directors themselves were unwilling to invest.

It started enthusiastically but was sadly wound up some time later with the organisers admitting that they hadn't raised anywhere near enough to buy a player but might have enough for a new set of strips.

The Times "understands" that 6,000 people have declared intent to support "and the NUSTs financial advisors have cautioned that up to half of the pledges may not be followed through". So this current guess puts the number of potential backers at around 3,000.

The take-up has been astounding and demonstrates fans have the appetite to back the Yes We Can campaign, a source close to the NUST said last night.

Based on the above figures I would beg to differ. 3,000 is a tiny number considering the club has a fan base of more than 100,000. It means less than 3% of fans prepared to back the scheme meaning it would almost certainly be doomed to failure.

All the above is of course conjecture and hearsay, but possibly not too far wide of the mark and with no real information coming from the NUST theres little else to go on.

We still look forward to hearing the names of the significant local businesses and institutions are who are backing the scheme - now scheduled to be released mid January - let's hope they can save the scheme, but a guesstimate of 3,000 supporters backing it hardly realises the dream of true fan ownership.

I wonder if this could end up like the 1980's buy a player scheme which was a bold campaign started by fans' representatives with the aim of raising £100,000 to buy a player for the cash strapped club as the directors themselves were unwilling to invest.

It started enthusiastically but was sadly wound up some time later with the organisers admitting that they hadn't raised anywhere near enough to buy a player but might have enough for a new set of strips.

I think it has more to do with the issue of money. Most people aren't prepared or can't afford to part with such a large sum of money for it to be put straight in Mike Ashley's lap when he runs into the sunset laughing and celebrating with Derek.

The Times "understands" that 6,000 people have declared intent to support "and the NUST’s financial advisors have cautioned that up to half of the pledges may not be followed through". So this current guess puts the number of potential backers at around 3,000.

“The take-up has been astounding and demonstrates fans have the appetite to back the ‘Yes We Can’ campaign,” a source close to the NUST said last night.

I think it has more to do with the issue of money. Most people aren't prepared or can't afford to part with such a large sum of money for it to be put straight in Mike Ashley's lap when he runs into the sunset laughing and celebrating with Derek.

Unless I'm completely missing your point that answer seems a bit ludicrous.

You imply that fans are unwilling to put their money into a "fan led" scheme to buy out the present ownership because the money would.... err... go to the present ownership ??

The Times "understands" that 6,000 people have declared intent to support "and the NUSTs financial advisors have cautioned that up to half of the pledges may not be followed through". So this current guess puts the number of potential backers at around 3,000.

The take-up has been astounding and demonstrates fans have the appetite to back the Yes We Can campaign, a source close to the NUST said last night.

Unless I'm completely missing your point that answer seems a bit ludicrous.

You imply that fans are unwilling to put their money into a "fan led" scheme to buy out the present ownership because the money would.... err... go to the present ownership ??

I imply that fans can't afford to put money in.

More here:

Dear Supporter

You will be aware that the Yes We Can campaign launched by the NUST

started up again on 6 Jan after the festive break, with the clear

message to the current owners that 'supporters mean business'. The

response to the first e-mail has been astounding with 3 people a

minute (for the first couple of hours) signing up to the campaign for

greater fan say in the way our club is run. Over 1000 people have

signed up on the back of that e-mail and on 15 Jan we'll be announcing

our advisers on our next moves.

Yes We Can and the Trust have one aim - to give supporters a say in

the running of our club and with Newcastle City Council backing that

principle on 13 Jan, we are gathering an unstoppable momentum.

We would ask that you take a couple minutes of your time to fill in

our Survey (10 questions).

This survey will be used to show interested potential partners the

strength of feeling in the city and beyond about the current regime -

the answers you give will form the basis of potential negotiations but

are not binding on you. Its a massive marketing exercise to see if the

fans are up for it.

Complete Survey here

<https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dE9YYXM0dUtnbmFpNFlaWjN3N1RSZ3c6MA>

Mike Ashley and his sources have made it clear in Sunday's papers that

he has no intention of staying at a club where he is not wanted, but

he wants to stay until the summer. We can only assume that he wants to

recoup all of his investment and more on top. It looks like a sparse

January transfer window, but we live in hope, but to indicate now he

would sell in the summer will destabilise the club before a return to

the premiership (fingers crossed!), and will push up potential

transfer fees.

The Trust has never got into a slanging match with Mr Ashley and Mr

Llambias and neither does it intend to, we're interested in our club

and more importantly its future. One final thought for you to consider

before you fill in the survey - sources have told us that Mr Ashley is

making up to £7m profit out of our club every month and whilst that's

not confirmed - do the maths - wages halved, no expenditure on

transfers, crowds up, new advertising revenue before the end of the

season and the assets of SJP Holdings. Make no mistake - Mr Ashley is

not going to lose on his investment in Newcastle but it's now time to

think about the club, city and community not himself.

Please complete the survey - January and February can make our club

the club we want - it's that close.

If you haven't already signed up and would like to back the Yes We Can

campaign please do so here <http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

Regards

Neil Mitchell

Interim Chair

"The Trust has never got into a slanging match with Mr Ashley and Mr

Llambias and neither does it intend to, we're interested in our club

and more importantly its future. One final thought for you to consider

before you fill in the survey - sources have told us that Mr Ashley is

making up to £7m profit out of our club every month and whilst that's

not confirmed - do the maths - wages halved, no expenditure on

transfers, crowds up, new advertising revenue before the end of the

season and the assets of SJP Holdings. Make no mistake - Mr Ashley is

not going to lose on his investment in Newcastle but it's now time to

think about the club, city and community not himself."

Sweet Jesus what sources were these? That is the biggest pile of  shyte.

7m profit per month? sweet jesus they're a bunch of morons if they honestly believe that more like 7m loss per month do they honestly think that the club is poised to make an 84m profit (by multiplying that 7m by 12) thats higher than the clubs projected turnover and what sources out of ashley and co would tell the nust anything?

Bear in mind that the phrase 'up to' £7 million includes the figure zero.

FWIW I can't see any way that the club is making any sort of profit on a turnover of about £50m or £60m. In 2008 the club lost £20m on a turnover of £100m, how do you get from there to a profit when your income is about £40m less?

Apart from that IMO it's extremely unprofessional to put unsbstantiated gossip in an email to potential investors and, for me, their credibility is shot to pieces - they have shot themselves in the foot.

Bear in mind that the phrase 'up to' £7 million includes the figure zero.

FWIW I can't see any way that the club is making any sort of profit on a turnover of about £50m or £60m. In 2008 the club lost £20m on a turnover of £100m, how do you get from there to a profit when your income is about £40m less?

Apart from that IMO it's extremely unprofessional to put unsbstantiated gossip in an email to potential investors and, for me, their credibility is shot to pieces - they have shot themselves in the foot.

That and an idiotic survey full of ineptly loaded questions.

What the hell is this questionnaire about? It was possibly one of the poorly designed sets of questions I've ever seen, are they not bothered about coming across in a well-run and professional light? They're talking about using people's hard-earned pensions and make no genuine attempt to hide their disgust of Ashley.

i.e. Since relegation last season, do you think the current ownership have run the club:

- competently

- incompetently

- awfully

- GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU FAT COCKNEY BASTARD

Guest michaelfoster

NUST shotting themselves in the foot again, theres no chance this will work, they might aswell end the campaign now before they really end up like a laughing stock

Is it really necessary to state that NUST has never got into a slanging match with Ashley and then proceed to do just that? This is all fine if it's a the work of a pressure group, but if it's a serious attempt to buy the club there needs to be a bit more professionalism.

Is it really necessary to state that NUST has never got into a slanging match with Ashley and then proceed to do just that? This is all fine if it's a the work of a pressure group, but if it's a serious attempt to buy the club there needs to be a bit more professionalism.

didn't they have an article slagging off llambias a few months ago on their website?

7m profit per month? sweet jesus they're a bunch of morons if they honestly believe that more like 7m loss per month do they honestly think that the club is poised to make an 84m profit (by multiplying that 7m by 12) thats higher than the clubs projected turnover and what sources out of ashley and co would tell the nust anything?

And a world record.

Manchester United

Record profit for United

James Robson

June 04, 2009

UNITED have made a world record operating profit for a football club, according to the latest figures announced.

The Premier League champions made £71.8m for the season 2007-8 to put them at the top of the money tree globally.

Their revenue of £257.1m also saw them outperform the rest of their Premier League rivals - with figures suggesting they are bucking the global economic crisis.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1118833_record_profit_for_united