Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Dear Supporter

Happy New Year from NUST!

2010 starts with phase 2 of the ‘Yes We Can’ (YWC) campaign,

setting out our plan that will lead to negotiations with our club on a

‘fan led movement’ that will bring about new ownership with as

little pain as possible for both sides. YWC will continue to support

the team but also pose the difficult questions for the current owners

in a constructive way and most importantly, to continue the momentum

to build a formal business plan, leading to a prospectus which will

detail options of investment for fans, businesses, individuals and

investment companies alike.

Our investment team is now in place but we need the continued support

of you, the fans, to show the businesses and investment companies that

Newcastle United FC is a sound investment that is rooted in the city

and its communities.

Simply signing up on here <http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

to Yes We Can will demonstrate to other potential investors that the

fans should lead ‘change’ at SJP. It doesn’t cost you anything

but it does show that you believe that we can be part of a more

positive future where fans are partners in a ‘new’ Newcastle

United.

On the field we may be top of the league but our hopes and

expectations have been lowered to such a level that simply not selling

our players will be trumpteted by Mr Llambias as a victory. While the

Trust and its partners recognise the harsh realities of the ever

changing world of football we have higher aspirations than that.

January 2010 promises to be an exciting month, there is a lot of

activity and potentially positive announcements. As supporters of the

Trust you will be pleasantly surprised just how far the Trust has come

in the short months since its formation. It is the fastest growing

Trust in the country with the most ambitious agenda.

On that note, you will be receiving an e-mail on 15 Jan announcing our

partners and how the YWC campaign will continue over the coming weeks,

so if you haven't already then please sign up to find out more here

<http://www.nust.org.uk/yeswecanregister>

Regards

Neil Mitchell

Interim Chair

NUST

Newcastle United fans show desire to have their say in club's future

THE Newcastle United Supporters Trust have received a startling response to their attempts to buy a substantive stake in the Coca Cola Championship club, with fans to date pledging well in excess of £50m in support of the bid.

The Times understands that more 6000 fans have responded to the ‘Yes We Can’ campaign with offers of financial backing, with around 4000 prepared to fund a minimum of £1500 and another 2000 signalling their willingness to invest £25,000 from their pension funds.

While no money has yet been collected and the NUST’s financial advisors have cautioned that up to half of the pledges may not be followed through, the figures still represent a strong desire on behalf of fans to have a say in the future running of Newcastle, which is presently owned by Mike Ashley, the sportswear retailer.

The NUST also claim to have significant backing from wealthy individuals and North East-based businesses, details of which they will announce in the coming weeks

With Chris Hughton’s players responding to the off-field difficulties of last summer by opening up a six-point lead at the top of the division, supporters have responded in an equally positive manner. Ashley’s three-year tenure at St James’ Park has brought five managers, relegation, numerous controversies and two failed attempts to sell-up.

“The take-up has been astounding and demonstrates fans have the appetite to back the ‘Yes We Can’ campaign,” a source close to the NUST said last night. “It also shows that fans are still sceptical about the intentions of the present owners and see an alternative as preferable to the uncertainty that surrounds investment plans for the future.”

Newcastle City Council are to consider a cross-party motion offering their support to the NUST. “This is not intended as a pop at the current owners,” John Shipley, the council leader, said. “It’s saying we feel frustration at the events of the last decade and all the shenanigans of managers and owners, which we feel has had an effect on the reputation of the club and a rub-off on the reputation of the city.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6981307.ece

Apart from the fact that these responses from fans are statements of interest, not pledges, I'm puzzled by this issue of the pension funds.

As far as I know, you have to be 50 (and 55 from April) to have cash released from a pension fund, and even then you can only get at 25% of the total. I can't see many people going for that.

Are NUST talking about something else? Anyone know?

Apart from the fact that these responses from fans are statements of interest, not pledges, I'm puzzled by this issue of the pension funds.

As far as I know, you have to be 50 (and 55 from April) to have cash released from a pension fund, and even then you can only get at 25% of the total. I can't see many people going for that.

SIPP (Self invested pension plans) wasn't it? I'm no pension expert but that sounds like something you can do what you want with.

I was very keen on this idea when it came out but feel somewhat distant from it now, it needs something to re-invigorate (fake word?) people now.

SIPP (Self invested pension plans) wasn't it? I'm no pension expert but that sounds like something you can do what you want with.

I was very keen on this idea when it came out but feel somewhat distant from it now, it needs something to re-invigorate (fake word?) people now.

real word btw.

i cant see any sense myself in investing your pension in any football club let alone newcastle united football club, there simply isnt going to be any return on it. it would be a serious case of heart ruling head when with pensions it should always be head over heart

real word btw.

i cant see any sense myself in investing your pension in any football club let alone newcastle united football club, there simply isnt going to be any return on it. it would be a serious case of heart ruling head when with pensions it should always be head over heart

As I understand it, a SIPP means that you can decide where your pension funds are invested, but the issue of releasing the funds still remains. A pension fund isn't like a savings account that you can get at any time you want. Because your pension payments enjoy tax relief, there are regulations about how soon you can get at them, and even then if you cash in before retirement age you lose out financially.

Guest michaelfoster

Id completely forgot they were doing this tbf, can see alot of people thinking i cant be bothered with this anymore due to a lack of information from NUST.

Both those figures are a bit misguided, because NUST haven't actually raised any money at all yet.

That's why it says 'pledged'

But the money hasn't been pledged. NUST were only asking for expressions of interest, and were encouraging people to come forward by stressing that there was no obligation attached to registering.

If the money really had been pledged, then it would be fair enough to say it had been raised, because a pledge in its true sense is a guarantee.

Guest Roger Kint

Both those figures are a bit misguided, because NUST haven't actually raised any money at all yet.

But the money hasn't been pledged. NUST were only asking for expressions of interest, and were encouraging people to come forward by stressing that there was no obligation attached to registering.

If the money really had been pledged, then it would be fair enough to say it had been raised, because a pledge in its true sense is a guarantee.

Am assuming you mean my figures? I am as sceptical as you in that regard, i just put the absolute minimun for it

Am assuming you mean my figures? I am as sceptical as you in that regard, i just put the absolute minimun for it

My point wasn't about the ultimate target figure - your guess is as good as mine on that. I interpreted your and Chris's statements as meaning that there was still a long way to go, even though £50 million could be knocked off it. I was just pointing out that NUST hadn't raised any money at all yet, let alone £50 million.

Guest Roger Kint

My point wasn't about the ultimate target figure - your guess is as good as mine on that. I interpreted your and Chris's statements as meaning that there was still a long way to go, even though £50 million could be knocked off it. I was just pointing out that NUST hadn't raised any money at all yet, let alone £50 million.

Am with you there, my point was that it would have to be £300m before Ashley played ball

Am with you there, my point was that it would have to be £300m before Ashley played ball

Ashley is only intersted in making money, why would he hold out for £300m if the club isn't worth it?

Guest Roger Kint

Ashley is only intersted in making money, why would he hold out for £300m if the club isn't worth it?

You really think he will throw away the £200m he paid over the £139m? As always Ashley will want his full return