Matty Longstaff (now playing for Toronto FC)

toontownman

I thought the opposite with Matty. Second cup game I’ve seen him play where he completely goes missing in the second half and his closing down/tackles is nowhere near the player. He’s got a long way to go if he’s going to make it at a top level.

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to fuck up whenever they were in possession.

Matty isn't a great tackler for sure, but his work-rate makes up for that, to a great extent.

I thought the opposite with Matty. Second cup game I’ve seen him play where he completely goes missing in the second half and his closing down/tackles is nowhere near the player. He’s got a long way to go if he’s going to make it at a top level.

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to f*** up whenever they were in possession.

Matty isn't a great tackler for sure, but his work-rate makes up for that, to a great extent.

I hope I’m wrong. Just seems like he runs around a lot and is bypassed very easily.

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to f*** up whenever they were in possession.

I hope I’m wrong. Just seems like he runs around a lot and is bypassed very easily.

For sure, his defending is weak. But his touch on the ball, his vision, and his passing is top class. Can you imagine how well he'd do in a better team where he gets more time and space, and more options for his passing? I hope that'll be us, in time, but sadly I doubt it.

I thought he was the best player on the park in the first half but he faded badly towards the end. Really enjoy watching him knock it about the midfield with ease at times, it's a shame we won't see it too often in the PL.

Anyone notice when dickhead brought Hayden on he kept Matty as the deep midfielder and put Hayden out wide left ?  I would have had Matty there and Hayden in Matty`s place.

To me it just looked like they were all running about trying to close down in a haphazard way.

A couple of seconds after introducing our fourth CM, all of them were ahead of the ball when we gave it away.

It's insane that we haven't sorted his contract out - Bruce said last summer that he was our best player in pre-season so it should have been done and dusted then!

Randomly, I've heard he's going to Watford which seems bizarre?!

Guest The Little Waster

Surely him and his brother are more realistic in their long term view of Nufc than the fans ? If they have any brain cells they are gone if they stay they must be thick and would deserve the mediocre careers that would ensue

I disagree. I thought he had a great game. Every other player, apart from Bentaleb, looked liable to fuck up whenever they were in possession.

I think his lack of ability to cover ground will end up preventing him making it to the top sadly. He's very good on the ball, but in the premier, ability to close down seems to be a premium attribute these days, and I'm not convinced his attacking qualities will be enough to make up for what he lacks defensively. Unless he plays as a withdrawn striker rather than a midfielder.

I think his lack of ability to cover ground will end up preventing him making it to the top sadly. He's very good on the ball, but in the premier, ability to close down seems to be a premium attribute these days, and I'm not convinced his attacking qualities will be enough to make up for what he lacks defensively. Unless he plays as a withdrawn striker rather than a midfielder.

It made it even more baffling to me that Bruce played Sean in the 10 role rather that him as he seems more natural in the holding type role whereas as Matty is more of a goal threat. I guess it paid off for him in the short term.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it wasn't a big PR play.

Give it a month and in comes hero Bruce and ties them both down to long term contracts. Lots of quotes about how great the gaffer is and how he played such a pivotal role in them signing. The importance of keeping local lads and Ashleys long term vision of the club etc..

I know for a fact that some players at the club agree and sign new contracts months before they are actually announced. I'm guessing the club do this so they can announce them at an opportune time. However, I don't think that's the case with Longstaff, I reckon they're probably just offering him fuck all and he understandably doesn't want to sign a shit contract.

I know for a fact that some players at the club agree and sign new contracts months before they are actually announced. I'm guessing the club do this so they can announce them at an opportune time. However, I don't think that's the case with Longstaff, I reckon they're probably just offering him fuck all and he understandably doesn't want to sign a shit contract.

How do you know that for a fact?

I’m not having a go just curious

A very close friend of mine is friends with a first team player and told me about a new contract that was signed months before it was announced.

A very close friend of mine is friends with a first team player and told me about a new contract that was signed months before it was announced.

Very close friend? Not close enough to introduce you to his other mates though?

Yes, a very good friend I used to work with who still lives in Newcastle. I don't live in Newcastle any more so only see my mate a few times a year at weekends when, funnily enough, the first team player is a bit busy.

Yes, a very good friend I used to work with who still lives in Newcastle. I don't live in Newcastle any more so only see my mate a few times a year at weekends when, funnily enough, the first team player is a bit busy.

Hmmm. That's acceptable.